Apple debuts $149 leather 12-inch MacBook sleeve

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
Apple's iPhone X wasn't the only new item to hit the company's online store on Friday, as a premium leather sleeve designed to snugly fit the 12-inch MacBook also went up for sale.

Quietly added to Apple's online store, the new Apple-designed leather sleeve can be found under the "Made by Apple" accessories section.

Available for $149, the "Leather Sleeve for 12inch MacBook" comes in Saddle Brown or Midnight Blue. Apple says the accessory is crafted from "high-quality European leather" and features a soft microfiber lining, a design similar to the company's leather sleeves for iPad Pro introduced in June.

In addition to being sleek (there are little dimples to accommodate the laptop's feet) the sleeve's design is also practical. The top cover layer sports cutouts for connecting a USB-C cable, meaning owners can charge up their device while keeping it protected.

The 12-inch MacBook sleeve is currently available to purchase and will arrive in customer hands on Oct. 31 with priority shipping. Free shipping will get the accessory out by Nov. 1, the same day the sleeve is due to arrive in Apple retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Fine
    edited October 2017 wozwoz
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think Apple as an environmental conscious company should stay away from making leather goods. 
    christopher126london11williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 11
    looks more like a shell
  • Reply 4 of 11
    talexy said:
    I think Apple as an environmental conscious company should stay away from making leather goods. 
    Good point! :) Perhaps one day we can get away from 'peeling' cows.
    london11
  • Reply 5 of 11
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    That is very classy - like much.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    talexy said:
    The cow was going to die eventually anyway.
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Unless you have evidence that the cow would otherwise not be killed/exploited for beef/milk/et al, I see no problem with using the skin to make leather (and most leather is now "tanned" in an environmentally-responsible way). Animals still die anyway, and thus it is practical and *responsible* to use as much of the carcass as possible. Leather is not the problem, unless it is done unethically. If you have concerns, perhaps write to Apple to get a fuller explanation of how the leather is created. My guess is that it is environmentally responsible in all respects.
    baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 11
    talexy said:
    lol, they should totally stick with polyethylene, right? Cows are a renewable resource.
    baconstangrevenantjony0
  • Reply 9 of 11
    talexy said:
    Good point! :) Perhaps one day we can get away from 'peeling' cows.
    they would have been peeled anyways. not many people want skin on their steak. until we stop or lower our consumption of beef, leather will always be with us.
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Ugly. Why would you put this abomination on a beautiful sleek MacBook...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 11
    talexy said:
    So we should just discard all the hides from the cows we eat?

We consume so much beef (as food)... leather is a useful byproduct of that. Cows are not raised and slaughtered to make leather.

My point being, not making/using leather goods would actually be WORSE for the environment, as all that cowhide would simply go to waste, as the cows will be raised and slaughtered anyway.