Apple's iPhone X goes up for preorder online [update: launch units sold out]

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sirozha said:
    This entire thread is a giant first-world problem. It’s so pathetic to read these posts that I can’t help but think that we are really heading for hell in a hand basket. Especially reading the post of a dude lamenting that he would have to live with his iPhone 8 (!) for a few extra weeks because his iPhone X delivery was delayed by two weeks. 

It’s so sad that we arrived at an era when the life boils down to getting up in the middle of the night to snatch a new gadget that costs over a grand. Can’t get any more shallow. Pathetic!
    Buzz kill. 
    The comments to which he's referring are the buzz kill for the thread.
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 102 of 113
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:
    This entire thread is a giant first-world problem. It’s so pathetic to read these posts that I can’t help but think that we are really heading for hell in a hand basket. Especially reading the post of a dude lamenting that he would have to live with his iPhone 8 (!) for a few extra weeks because his iPhone X delivery was delayed by two weeks. 

It’s so sad that we arrived at an era when the life boils down to getting up in the middle of the night to snatch a new gadget that costs over a grand. Can’t get any more shallow. Pathetic!
    Buzz kill. 
    not really. I personally dont care about getting an X, or any device on the first day, but if people are disappointed let them have their moan. All the problems we discuss here are first world problems. 
  • Reply 103 of 113
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    jdgaz said:
    Verizon was up at around 11:50pm. I was able to get a Space Grey 256GB arriving on November 3. 
    Darn, I waited till 12:00 to try. Online said I got Nov 3, but must wait for email to confirm. 16 minutes in and no email yet. Going to bed.

I got my email confirmation a few minutes after I ordered. I'm sure at midnight, Verizon was swamped. You will get your confirmation email eventually. 
    Got the confirmation. Came at 12:26 after I was back in bed. Nov 3 delivery date.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    I think Apple was controlling access to the store, that's why some people were stuck on the "We've got something special in store for you" screen longer than others.

I had 3 iPhones plus my laptop (all connected to the same network) ready to go to do the order at 03:00 EST, and when it was still stuck on the above message at 03:01 EST I commented to my friend who was also trying to place an order that Apple was late this time. I was only able to get into the Apple Store at 3:06 on my main iPhone and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the delivery date was showing for Nov 3. After submitting the order I checked my other phones and they were still stuck on the message. Then I tried to access the store again using the same phone I had just used to place my order, and I got the message there too. At around 3:20 I was finally able to access the store from all phones and my laptop. My friend got his order in at 3:10 and his delivery date is Nov 28. We are in Canada, BTW.

Anyways, it seems that this was a strategy by Apple to prevent their backend from being crushed by the load, but they should've changed the message on the webpage once they started taking orders.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    sirozha said:

I feel like we need another term other than First World Problem. While I agree that these complaints do fall under its umbrella, these complaints are so niche, petty, and ridiculous that they don't reflect most people under the colloquial definition of First World.

Usually I see problems stated as observations more so than outright complaints and bitching about how they had to wait until 5 minutes after the hour to order. For example, one might say, "I was busy binge watching Stranger Things season 2 on Netflix that I forget to set my Amazon Echo to remind me to order the iPhone X at 3am #FirstWorldProblems."

edited October 2017
  • Reply 106 of 113
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

I feel like we need another term other than First World Problem. While I agree that these complaints do fall under its umbrella, these complaints are so niche, petty, and ridiculous that they don't reflect most people under the colloquial definition of First World.

Usually I see problems stated as observations more so than outright complaints and bitching about how they had to wait until 5 minutes after the hour to order. For example, one might say, "I was busy binge watching Stranger Things season 2 on Netflix that I forget to set my Amazon Echo to remind me to order the iPhone X at 3am #FirstWorldProblems."

Consumption as a means of self-indulgence. There is nothing wrong with iPhone 6s, 7, or especially 8 that should make someone get up in the middle of the night and have two Macs an iPad, and three iPhones all loaded and aimed ready to pull the trigger on all of them to buy two new iPhones that cost over a grand each. Just think about what the hell has happened to us. There’s nothing wrong with upgrading one’s iPhone, iPad, or Mac when they age and need to be replaced. However, last night millions got up in the middle of the night because they are compulsive addicts who can’t live an extra day without owning a gadget cooler than the one they already own. That is a seriously fu*** up generation of Homo Sapiens. 

I shouldn’t complain, though. You guys made me an extra $50,000 today, and there’s still 4 hours of trading left. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 107 of 113
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

Consumption as a means of self-indulgence. There is nothing wrong with iPhone 6s, 7, or especially 8 that should make someone get up in the middle of the night and have two Macs an iPad, and three iPhones all loaded and aimed ready to pull the trigger on all of them to buy two new iPhones that cost over a grand each. Just think about what the hell has happened to us. There’s nothing wrong with upgrading one’s iPhone, iPad, or Mac when they age and need to be replaced. However, last night millions got up in the middle of the night because they are compulsive addicts who can’t live an extra day without owning a gadget cooler than the one they already own. That is a seriously fu*** up generation of Homo Sapiens. 

I shouldn’t complain, though. You guys made me an extra $50,000 today, and there’s still 4 hours of trading left. 
    Nonsense. Everyone has their interests where they spend their money. I have cycling friends who own multiple expensive bikes for various use cases. I have audiophile friends into stereo components. Car friends. Golf friends, etc etc. If you’re supposed to be some sort of stock trader then I’m sure you have stupid shit you spend your money on too. Heck it may even involve children. 

As a software developer and pro techie, having the latest hotness is part of my profession. 
    muthuk_vanalingammacky the macky
  • Reply 108 of 113
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

1) You complain about folks, and self-servingly demur saying "I shouldn't complain." Clearly, you like to complain.

2) Unless you plan to eat your $50,000 (or stuff it up some place), you're no different from the rest of us with regards to "self indulgence", "compulsive addiction" or being "fucked up" (demurring again, I see, with the self-serving "**").

3) Many folks here, who are happy consumers of Apple products who woke up at 3AM to order, also made $50,000 or more today.

4) Demand for Apple stock from people like you is, ironically, what makes the purchase cost of a $1,150 iPhone a rounding error for those folks (in #3 above).

5) Some of us actually had fun getting up at 3.00AM (or whenever) to do this.

6) You might consider taking your condescending crap elsewhere.

Have a nice day!
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 109 of 113
    asdasd said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

Buzz kill. 
    not really. I personally dont care about getting an X, or any device on the first day, but if people are disappointed let them have their moan. All the problems we discuss here are first world problems. 
    I’ve seen a lot of pictures of people in the “third world” with cell phones, so maybe the worlds aren’t as far apart as previously claimed.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 110 of 113
    asdasd said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

Buzz kill. 
    I’ve seen a lot of pictures of people in the “third world” with cell phones, so maybe the worlds aren’t as far apart as previously claimed.
    It's an antiquated designation and most people don't seem to use it as originally intended.
    anantksundaramasdasd
  • Reply 111 of 113
    JFC_PA said:
    rgh71 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    siretman said:
    Finally got my email and the account says I have the order but still waiting for my wife’s email. 
    Still waiting on that. Ah well. I’ll check back later today. Yawn. 
    I have to say I got my confirmation email with order number less than a minute after placing my order.  Can anyone confirm if T-Mobile phones were offered for in-store pickup at all?  I suspect the 2-3 week shipping was all they offered since it seemed like I was on early and ordered my "favorites" within < 60 seconds.
    Ah, I just got the loan approval notice. I expect the Bank processing (despite my doing the pre-approval) is what’s delayed the confirmations email. 

So many moving parts. 
    Yep! My other half got the same loan approval notice (even after the pre-approval beforehand).... and then finally the order confirmation after a couple hours. So, you are on the right path!  :)
  • Reply 112 of 113
    I tired ordering from apple store app, was giving me issue with Verizon Device plan. Order from Verizon direct got my order in at 3:08 notification from citi
    email from Verizon at 3:33 am confirmation

Apple Apple® iPhone® X 256GB in Space Gray
  • Reply 113 of 113
    I ordered a T-Mobile phone and then called Apple Store Support and explained it was a gift for a friend on a CDMA network (bc who wants a GSM-only phone that is rumored to have a shittier modem because its Intel not Qualcomm, right?) and it turned out as expected.