Apple calls iPhone X preorders 'off the charts' after rapid sellouts

Posted:
in iPhone
Preorders of the iPhone X are off to a strong start, Apple commented on Friday, reflecting the long delays already facing prospective buyers.

"We can see from the initial response, customer demand is off the charts," a spokeswoman told Reuters. "We're working hard to get this revolutionary new product into the hands of every customer who wants one, as quickly as possible."

Shipping times for Apple's U.S. online orders have already been pushed out to 5 to 6 weeks. That means people unable to secure a preorder through another source, such as their carrier, will have to camp out in front of a store to secure an iPhone X before late November or December.

Multiple reports have pointed to production shortages related to the phone's TrueDepth camera, used for Face ID and animoji. One analyst, KGI's Ming-Chi Kuo, has estimated that Apple may have just 2 to 3 million units ready for the product's Nov. 3 launch -- a tiny amount given plans to roll out in dozens of markets worldwide.

The demand comes despite a $999 base pricetag, without tax, accessories, or AppleCare+. A top-end 256-gigabyte iPhone X costs upwards of $1,149.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    7-8 weeks on carriers in Sweden...
  • Reply 2 of 61
    I was able to get my iPhone X to deliver on November 3rd although my wife’s iPhone X will arrive November 17-24. We are on the Apple upgrade program and I am puzzled by a credit charge of $89.05 from Apple Online orders. Is this some sort of a service charge for the Carrier ATT?

• Reply 3 of 61
    "...and we can't wait to see what " $20 billion dollars in 9 minutes looks like. :smiley: 
    mwhiteking editor the gratecaliStrangeDayspscooter63jony0
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Probably sales tax, paid directly to Apple.  Loan payments go to Citizens One.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    I’d say it looks like a success. Judges?
    ericthehalfbeeanantksundarampscooter63racerhomiechiajony0
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Curious, anyone else not getting a invoice/receipt?  Pretty sure my order is in, if I go back it says I have ordered, but not seeing the actual order in the app.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 61
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    siretman said:
    I was able to get my iPhone X to deliver on November 3rd although my wife’s iPhone X will arrive November 17-24. We are on the Apple upgrade program and I am puzzled by a credit charge of $89.05 from Apple Online orders. Is this some sort of a service charge for the Carrier ATT?

You’re likely paying the sales tax of the entire device price upfront, which is what AT&T Next does.
    sockrolidsockrolidchiajony0
  • Reply 8 of 61
    If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

Show us the numbers, Phil.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Well duh.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    d_2 said:
    siretman said:

You’re likely paying the sales tax of the entire device price upfront, which is what AT&T Next does.
    Yes, you are paying up front for the sales tax (happened when I upgraded to 8+).
  • Reply 11 of 61
    d_2 said:
    siretman said:

I think you are right. My bill shows an estimated tax of $104.47, so the billed $89.05 must be the actual tax. 
  • Reply 12 of 61
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Well, if your chart could only hold 4 million (units), then a typical iPhone pre-order cycle of 16 million units would be "off the charts".
  • Reply 13 of 61

d_2 said:
    siretman said:

It is the tax only for my iPhone X which is being shipped now to get to me on November 3rd. The tax for my wife’s iPhone X will be charged later before it ships.  
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    I’m nearly positive that only the iMac Pro will be black space grey. /edit oh, it's a joke. huh.

They're not even going to sell the darker keyboards separately.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 61
    I keep calling Apple to see if I can cancel my pre-order and take my chances launch day in store. Every time I call the automated system says call volumes are too high and to call back later.  :/
  • Reply 16 of 61
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The technical screw-ups are also off the charts (speaking from personal experience ordering through AT&T). If these companies want so much of our money, they need to get the simple stuff correct.
    techprod1gysockrolidunphocus
  • Reply 17 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Was able to go through Xfinity Mobile App at 1:00AM. Boom, I got my pre-order# and delivery date on Nov 3.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 18 of 61
    If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

If you don't think the new iMac Pro is a "Pro", I'd hate to see what your requirements for "Pro" hardware are...
    kingofsomewherehotbb-15caliStrangeDaysmwhiteunphocusJWSC
  • Reply 19 of 61
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    I love hot dogs; I'd buy all 20.
    edited October 2017 calichia
  • Reply 20 of 61

With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

Show us the numbers, Phil.
    MMM Hot dogs!! Hey, help yourself. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACGEN/ If you want to spend your $1,000.00 US elsewhere, you could buy one of these. LMAO https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_2
    watto_cobra