Just as it did with iPhone 8, Best Buy tacks $100 extra onto upfront payments for iPhone X...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Customers in a rush to preorder the iPhone X from Best Buy on Friday morning may be in for a bit of sticker shock when they double-check the final bill, as the retailer tacked on an extra $100 for full-price purchases of the handset [updated with comment from Best Buy].

Apple iPhone X in Space Gray at Best Buy

Best Buy took the same approach in September for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. But with many customers waiting for the debut of the iPhone X, some may not have realized that the 64-gigabyte handset actually cost $1,099.99 with the company -- $100 more than Apple's own price.

Customers who opted for monthly installment plans through carriers saw no such price increase.

Bumping up to the 256-gigabyte capacity for iPhone X resulted in a $1,249.99 price.

Similarly, the iPhone 8 bought outright at Best Buy starts at $799 for 64 gigabytes, while the iPhone 8 Plus carries a starting price of $899.

Update: After this article was published, Best Buy reached out to dispute some of the details in this story. They asked that AppleInsider refer customers to their official price matching policy, and also provided the following statement:

"Our prices reflect the fact that no matter a customer's desired plan or carrier, or whether a customer is on a business or personal plan, they are able to get a phone the way they want at Best Buy. Our customers have told us they want this flexibility and sometimes that has a cost."

Since this story was published Friday morning, the Best Buy forum link, with comments from an official social media representative from the retailer, have become inaccessible to the public, and now require a registration. The remainder of the story remains as it was first published.

Customers who noticed the price discrepancy back in September asked why on the company's forums, and were given this response from a Best Buy social media representative:

"I would not be able to say why our price for the unactivated iPhone 8/8 Plus are $100 more than what Apple is charging, but I can say we work to remain competitive, and we do have our price match guarantee where we would lower prices found at a competitor in most case. With that said contract phones like the iPhone 8/8 Plus do not qualify for our price match guarantee."

Another user followed up, asking if a handset bought outright at full price, without a commitment, would be considered a contract phone. Allan, the social media representative, said that all iPhone models are considered contract phones, including the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X.

"Believe it or not when it comes to Apple products we have very little to say as to what price we sell their products for," Allan added.

If Apple did play a part in the extra $100, it would be odd. Carriers, for example, had no such price disparity. Retailer Target will be selling the iPhone X at launch, but as of Friday morning its website did not yet list pricing.

Those who have not yet ordered the iPhone X could be waiting for awhile. The launch day supply sold out in minutes, and new orders are not scheduled to ship until December.

Those hoping to get an iPhone X on launch day of Friday, Nov. 3, will need to try their luck in person at a retail store. Apple has said it will have walk-in purchase availability, but cautioned that customers are "encouraged to arrive early."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Stay away from BestBuy.

Got it.
    tdknoxleavingthebiggairnerd80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Typically it's those waiting in line to buy several purely to sell them on at profit just hours later who do this. Very unusual for a retailer (1st point of sale) to do it. Sets a very bad precedent imho. 
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Supply vs. demand.
    kingofsomewherehotairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Supply vs. demand.
    That's what you get out of this?

No reaction to "I would not be able to say why our price for the unactivated iPhone 8/8 Plus are $100 more than what Apple is charging, ... contract phones like the iPhone 8/8 Plus do not qualify for our price match guarantee." plus "Believe it or not when it comes to Apple products we have very little to say as to what price we sell their products for," 

My interpretation of this is "Believe it or not, you shouldn't believe what BestBuy tells you."
    airnerd
  • Reply 5 of 34
    if ebay can make a quick buck on it why not best buy too?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    adm1 said:
    Typically it's those waiting in line to buy several purely to sell them on at profit just hours later who do this. Very unusual for a retailer (1st point of sale) to do it. Sets a very bad precedent imho. 
    Exactly.  Great way to piss off customers and hurt your reputation for good prices.  
  • Reply 7 of 34
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    It's shady as hell, but it happens all the time with PC graphics cards. This was definitely the case when NVIDIA's Pascal card first starting shipping last year and this year with the Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. 
    randominternetpersonbb-15
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    While strange, at least Best Buy has a price matching guarantee, so as long as people notice they won't have to pay the extra $100...

• Reply 9 of 34
    mazda 3s said:
    It's shady as hell, but it happens all the time with PC graphics cards. This was definitely the case when NVIDIA's Pascal card first starting shipping last year and this year with the Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. 
    Not shady. It’s called free market capitalism. They tell you up front what they’re charging, 
    kingofsomewherehotredgeminipabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I stay away from BestBuy unless absolutely necessary.  Their sales staff is about as useless as can be and typically have zero clues about the products they sell.

This BestBuy rep is being elusive or clueless.  To charge $100 more is essentially doing so unless the customer notices something.  
    airnerdboltsfan17
  • Reply 11 of 34
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    bill42 said:
    While strange, at least Best Buy has a price matching guarantee, so as long as people notice they won't have to pay the extra $100...

Price matching doesn't apply to iPhones. It's in the article.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Supply vs. demand.
    That's what you get out of this?

No reaction to "I would not be able to say why our price for the unactivated iPhone 8/8 Plus are $100 more than what Apple is charging, ... contract phones like the iPhone 8/8 Plus do not qualify for our price match guarantee." plus "Believe it or not when it comes to Apple products we have very little to say as to what price we sell their products for," 

My interpretation of this is "Believe it or not, you shouldn't believe what BestBuy tells you."
    Yes, that’s what I got from this. They believe they can get away with charging a premium price, so they are. eBay prices for the X ranging up to $3,500 provide good evidence there will be people willing to pay that premium.
    redgeminipabb-15
  • Reply 13 of 34
    I just picked up a 256gb ATT version. BestBuy is hiding the full retail purchase button on their site now, but it's easily revealed with a CSS override. It's $100 more, but delivery by Nov. 10. An easy flip IMO. Will bring down the cost of my personal X when I get one for myself.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I never did like WorstBuy.   I don't even like to walk into the store.

This was confirmed the 2nd to the last time I was in there and some guy started badgering for looking at Apple products and gave me a 5 minute, very loud lecture about how inferior Apple products were to Samsung.  He was related to the store somehow but I don't think he was a salesman.   Maybe a supervisor or a supplier.  The sales people just scattered when he started on his soap box.

I did go back a year ago to get an original series Apple Watch at a much reduced price.  But I was in and out as quickly as possible.  But, even then, the salesman was unhelpful and rude.
    airnerd
  • Reply 15 of 34
    nhughes said:
    bill42 said:

Price matching doesn't apply to iPhones. It's in the article.
    Best Buy will price match an iPhone in most cases if an Apple Store is within 25 miles and the phone is in stock at the Apple Store. They also only charge 100.00 extra if you are paying full retail and not going with an installment plan because Best Buy in that case doesn't get a kickback for signing up a new customer or an upgrade. 

So there are some cases when they will price match however that doesn't help with a pre order. Only time I buy an iPhone from Best Buy is when I have a few gift cards and I want to rack up some Elite member points. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 16 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Don't feel sorry for anyone who shops at Best Buy in today's world. Unless you're desperate to get something immediately, why would you subject yourself to that experience?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 34
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    Reserved for people with higher disposable income.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Having been reading AI for a while I know first time posters are not given much credence but having worked for a few Premier Apple partners I can tell you that retailers such as Best Buy actually buy the phones for the full retail cost, sometimes over retail.  In order for them to make any money they have to get a kickback from the cellular companies or they have to charge more.  I personally still wouldn’t buy from them even if the price was the same as Apple’s but just throwing that out there. 
    electrosoftGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Sounds more like Worst Buy if you ask me.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Best Buy is headed for the same graveyard as radio shack and circuit city...good riddance to rubbish.
    GeorgeBMac