Apple sells out of launch day iPhone X supply in matter of minutes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129

This is a huge exaggeration. Nov 3 delivery was available well after 40 minutes of launch for many. Besides my personal checking, you can review comments in 9to5Mac to confirm that it took at minimum an hour for those times to be pushed. This is a BS piece which I’ve been seen more and more on this site.
    The only BS here is you, troll

Go read the 'Apple Store Down' story prior to ordering time, and people's real time comments at ordering time. Then, go away. 
    I was seeing November 3 - 10 delivery dates on the AT&T website after about an hour or more of waiting in their queue (by that time I'd created an order on the Apple website for 2-3 weeks delivery. Looks like Carrier sites and the Apple website (not app) were the ways to go this time around. 
    Nonsense. I had the ATT store open on one of three devices at 3.00AM (US East Coast). I was in line, and couldn't even get into the their site until 3.35AM. I didn't bother at that point, since then site doesn't update as frequently (i.e., has stale info), it crashes frequently, it puts you back in waiting list, and so on. It's a piss-poor site if you actually try ordering with it (which I did once in the past).

In the meantime, Apple sent me a confirmation of the 'order' I placed on its site, but said it's waiting for eligibility confirmation from ATT -- I am guessing ATT is totally slammed, and ridiculously behind in meeting orders.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    I’ll be one of the people waiting in line hoping to get one😅
  • Reply 83 of 129
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    That isn’t a screw up, that’s how it works when you’re competing against millions of people. These servers are load balanced and not everyone can get on them all. Mine came online at 5 after, I ordered within seconds and got a Nov 3 delivery. It just didn’t work out for you, but that isn’t a screw up. 
    Solicalianton zuykov
  • Reply 84 of 129

I'm in Stuttgart - Germany. Was refreshing the Store page and the Apple Store App on my iPhone since 8:55 am every 15 seconds. (official launch time for us 9:01 am).
    1. Shop only came online around 9:08 am (PC), on phone was still not available until a minute later;
    2. Took me less than 30 seconds to place my order (Space Grey, 256 GB) and just by selecting the model it was already showing it with 2-3 Weeks, delivery date between 21 and 28 November.
    So I fully agree with some users here saying that the release was "unfair". Some say they still had 3 Nov. availability 40 min after the store started, while I did not have them just 15 seconds after the store was made available for me.
    Clearly not all markets/regions are treated the same.
    Well yes, with over 55 countries at pre order launch I wouldn’t expect them all to receive the same available inventory. 
  • Reply 85 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    And I know someone in the US, not far from Cupertino, that didn't have the store showing a Buy option until around 12:10am (UCT/GMT-7:00) so what's this "fair chance" you're taking about? Are you suggesting that Apple is trying to stick it to the Dutch?
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    Yes, except that isn’t how globally load balanced servers work. Here IRL things don’t work like in science fiction. 
  • Reply 86 of 129
    isinstock.com is an option if your order is delayed until December. I've scored AirPods that way when they first came out.

Good luck and enjoy!
    cali
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elvys said:
    Mine got pushed 3-4 weeks too. I feel so disappointed that I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and don't buy it at all.
    Such a nonsense claim. 
    Knife, meet nose. 
  • Reply 88 of 129
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    aaargh! said:
    What a bunch of millennials, do you have any idea how difficult it is to provide 10 million anything to such high quality standards? No, you don't care ,"I want my iPhone now!"
    Give it a rest. You should be cheering for Apple's success that you have something that means that much in your life you are willing to complain.
    shapetablescaliGG1
  • Reply 89 of 129
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    metrix said:
    aaargh! said:
    What a bunch of millennials, do you have any idea how difficult it is to provide 10 million anything to such high quality standards? No, you don't care ,"I want my iPhone now!"
    Give it a rest. You should be cheering for Apple's success that you have something that means that much in your life you are willing to complain.
    Don't blame millennials for stupidity that's present in people of all age groups.
    muthuk_vanalingamcalikingofsomewherehotGG1
  • Reply 90 of 129
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    chadbag said:
    Having recently switched from AT&T to T-mobile, I ordered from the T-mobile website as I wanted their interest free installment payments and also their trade in promotion.    The first 10-15 minutes were awful.  All sorts of hangs and 'OOPS we're sorry' messages. Then it started to mostly go through but the iPhone X would never show as an 'upgrade' option.  Just the 8 and 7 series.  I kept trying and about 80 minutes after start the iPhone X showed up in the list.  I placed an order for a silver 256gb for  the wife and they claimed it would ship 11/02--11/03.   We'll see.   I don't believe it.  

Incidentally I checked the Apple Store around 20 minutes past start and the T-mobile silver 256gb iPhone X was listed at 2-3 weeks estimate, which surprised me as I expected  1-2 months by then.   
    I had the same issues with glitches on the site. Eventually was able to order with a promised ship date of 11/2-3. But then this morning, I received a text from T-mo saying supply was severely limited and no shipping estimate is currently available. It suggests checking the site for order status and delivery estimate update. When I do so, it says 11/2-3. Curious to know if you got that same text this am.

I have not received any texts or anything more than an "Your new device order has been placed" email about 45 minutes after I placed the order.  I got two emails right after I placed it for document confirmation and copy of documents and then the one 45 minutes later.    Nothing else.   Checking online says it has no clue and will updated me when something happens.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Even though T-Mobile said it would "ship" on 11/02 or 11/03, I am not really worried.  I just stayed up to get in the queue as I would like to get this for the wife before our December trip if at all possible, and not middle of next year ;)   So if it is here next week, the week thereafter, or in 4 weeks, all would be fine.  4 months would not be.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    ... You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 

Odd.  I fully expect my new phone to last several years.  

How did you justify an iPhone8 that apparently only lasts 8 weeks.???
    You mean you don’t know??

After 40 weeks, Apple sends Mr T round to your house. He breaks down the front door and yells, “GIMME THE PHONE, FOOL!”

And you’d better hand it over. 
    muthuk_vanalingamcali
  • Reply 93 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    And I know someone in the US, not far from Cupertino, that didn't have the store showing a Buy option until around 12:10am (UCT/GMT-7:00) so what's this "fair chance" you're taking about? Are you suggesting that Apple is trying to stick it to the Dutch?
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    I’ve read your post six times, and I still can’t quite believe you said it. 
    Solimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 94 of 129
    Am a bit concerned, ordered right on the spot but no emails come in.  Only solace is that when I try to order again this AM it says I can't order another, so thinking all is good.  Said 2-3 weeks, ordered moments after it opened so suspect that is the soonest.  Did anyone get a receipt that said Nov 3?
    My dad and I chose Store pickup it says available for pickup Nov 3. Also I had to choose a time to pick it up. I really wanted silver but space grey was the only one that was available.  We accidentally ordered 3 somehow we only needed 2. But the third one had a delivery date range Nov 18 through I don’t remember we canceled that one. I ordered space grey 64 gig onetime payment.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    I'm in Stuttgart - Germany. Was refreshing the Store page and the Apple Store App on my iPhone since 8:55 am every 15 seconds. (official launch time for us 9:01 am).
    1. Shop only came online around 9:08 am (PC), on phone was still not available until a minute later;
    2. Took me less than 30 seconds to place my order (Space Grey, 256 GB) and just by selecting the model it was already showing it with 2-3 Weeks, delivery date between 21 and 28 November.
    So I fully agree with some users here saying that the release was "unfair". Some say they still had 3 Nov. availability 40 min after the store started, while I did not have them just 15 seconds after the store was made available for me.
    Clearly not all markets/regions are treated the same.

Same problem here in the U.K. Couldn’t get on the Apple store app til about 8:08 BST. Tried to reserve via Apple upgrade program but got an error message. Manage to order (full price) for delivery- 2-3 weeks  - dispatch 13 - 20 November. Not so bad if I have to wait an extra week, will just have to take back to Apple store to get full refund and convert to Apple upgrade. 
  • Reply 96 of 129
    Work out all the kinks for me. I'm thrilled with the space gray 256GB iPhone 8 Plus.
  • Reply 97 of 129
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    aaargh! said:
    macxpress said:
    elvys said:
    Mine got pushed 3-4 weeks too. I feel so disappointed that I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and don't buy it at all.
    Seriously? How childish can people be? You've waited months and months (some people 2yrs) to be able to get a phone....what difference does it make if you get in 2-3 weeks or 5-6 weeks?
    What difference does it make ? Well, it makes the phone a lot more expensive for one. The 6 week delay from the normal launch already did that already did that of course..

A little maths:

There are 52 weeks between iPhone launches, if the iPhone launched on the same day as the 8, you would pay $1000 for 52 weeks of iPhone X usage before you have to replace it with the iPhone Xs, that's  $19.23/week. With the launch for the X pushed back 6 weeks if you get it on nov 3 then it is $1000/46 = $21.74/week. Another 6 weeks delay raises the price further to $25/week. You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 
    And in his situation ordering 5 minutes late will balance everything out because he’ll receive the next iPhone weeks late again.

seriously wtf? The iPhone will work after the next one releases. It won’t magically disappear or blow up. 
  • Reply 98 of 129
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is a huge exaggeration. Nov 3 delivery was available well after 40 minutes of launch for many. Besides my personal checking, you can review comments in 9to5Mac to confirm that it took at minimum an hour for those times to be pushed. This is a BS piece which I’ve been seen more and more on this site.
    No it’s not an exaggeration.

I was in a chatroom and streaming live on YouTube watching pre-order sales and after 12:10AM dates were pushed back 2-3 weeks. Some people in the chat claimed their orders were pushed back even though they ordered sooner.

What does worry me a little is shopping times being stuck at 5-6 weeks as of this morning to 11:45AM.
    Is demand low? Probably not we’ll have to wait for official word from Tim Cook. 

• Reply 99 of 129
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    aaargh! said:
    macxpress said:
    elvys said:
    Seriously? How childish can people be? You've waited months and months (some people 2yrs) to be able to get a phone....what difference does it make if you get in 2-3 weeks or 5-6 weeks?
    What difference does it make ? Well, it makes the phone a lot more expensive for one. The 6 week delay from the normal launch already did that already did that of course..

A little maths:

There are 52 weeks between iPhone launches, if the iPhone launched on the same day as the 8, you would pay $1000 for 52 weeks of iPhone X usage before you have to replace it with the iPhone Xs, that's  $19.23/week. With the launch for the X pushed back 6 weeks if you get it on nov 3 then it is $1000/46 = $21.74/week. Another 6 weeks delay raises the price further to $25/week. You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 
    A little math, yes, the slightest inkling of logic, no. So you're saying the iPhone X turns back into a pumpkin and no longer works 52 weeks after Apple initially makes it available for sale? My iPhone 6 Plus is nearly 3 years old and is working like a champ and will easily last me for at least another year. Even if I was buying a new iPhone every year, my yearly purchase or renewal date does not have to be aligned with the first day of availability of the phone. I could purchase/renew my phone every year on February 14th as a Valentine gift to myself (no matter how socially pathetic this may be) so my "year" of new iPhone usage begins and ends when I want it to begin and end. My year is therefore totally independent of any initial new version production delays, hiccups, or tech pundit predictions.  
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 100 of 129
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I should probably turn in my Apple fan boy membership card. I couldn't care less about iPhone X. When/if I need a new iPhone I may consider it, but for now I am happy with my iPhone 6.