Apple calls iPhone X preorders 'off the charts' after rapid sellouts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Duh. Most people here saw this. 

(As an aside, Apple just sent me  a note saying that the ATT ('carrier') eligibility verification finally went through, and it's on its way! "2-3 weeks" implying Nov 17-24, and I hope it's 2 rather than 3!).
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61

I keep calling Apple to see if I can cancel my pre-order and take my chances launch day in store. Every time I call the automated system says call volumes are too high and to call back later.  :/
    Why can't you do it online?
  • Reply 23 of 61
    App Store was offline till 0211 for me. Got mine in with the Reservation due to unable to contact carrier system. Delivery Nov 17-24. 
    sockrolid
  • Reply 24 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

Show us the numbers, Phil.
    Well if you don’t believe Apple’s statement then why would you believe any numbers Phil Schiller posts? But then we can see from your post where you’re coming from anyway so it doesn’t matter anyway.
    king editor the gratejax44calipscooter63StrangeDaysJFC_PAchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

If A Hot Dog vendor only has 20 Dodger Dogs at the World Series he is going to sell out quickly. 

Next we we will hear that supplies are constrained on the HomePod and Black (not Pro) iMac and how quickly they sold out.
    With $1,000 throwaway cell phones and glued shut $5,000 iMacs, I guess Apple will grow revenue by increasing the average selling price.

MMM Hot dogs!! Hey, help yourself. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACGEN/ If you want to spend your $1,000.00 US elsewhere, you could buy one of these. LMAO https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_2
    You mean the Pixel 2, the one with OLED burn in and high pitched clicking noises?
    sockrolidcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

What nonsense, give it a rest. iPhone is routinely the single-best-selling smartphone on the market, and they do so by making lots of them -- not 20. When Cook or Apple says the demand is off the charts, you can bank on it that they mean in a relative sense. They aren't making shit up, hoping to collect customers here and there for their little ole smartphone offering....

What do you mean by "throwaway cell phones"? First, it's a computer, in your pocket. Second, I've never EVER thrown one out. I use them for a year and then give them to family members, where they remain in service for years to come (tho now i’m on the IUP I’ll be trading it in). I have performed repairs on one. I have paid for repairs on another. But I have never "thrown away" one. I imagine this is no different than $1,000 TV set -- you use it, repair it, and eventually, replace it. How is it different?

So much resentment. 
    edited October 2017 king editor the gratemagman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I find Ming-Chi Kuo's 2-3 million units at launch estimation hard to believe. With preorders in 55 countries, no way Apple only had 2-3 million units available. 
    patchythepiratedanhbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 61
    I keep calling Apple to see if I can cancel my pre-order and take my chances launch day in store. Every time I call the automated system says call volumes are too high and to call back later.  :/
    eh? Just do your morning trips, and then cancel the order after you get lucky.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 61
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    App Store was offline till 0211 for me. Got mine in with the Reservation due to unable to contact carrier system. Delivery Nov 17-24. 
    Exactly the same here (but different time zone - PST).  Takes about 10 minutes for the Apple Store updates to propagate.

What Apple said: "Your reservation number is <reservation_number>.  When we're able to reach the carrier systems, we will email you at <your_email>."

What Apple thought: "AT&T is going to F things up again like always.  We will remove those lamerz from the initial pre-order process."
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Eric_WVGG said:
    eh? Just do your morning trips, and then cancel the order after you get lucky.
    I guess I can just show up and cancel on the spot. That’s assuming every Apple store is getting launch day stock. I can’t even get through to ask that question.  :/
  • Reply 31 of 61
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    I have a "cancel order" button when I go to the order status page on the web or in the mobile app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 61
    I got mine 2 mins after midnight on Verizon website supposed to be delivered Fri Nov 3rd, Oh and today's rise in aapl stock has already paid for it 3 times over
    edited October 2017 uktechiepscooter63watto_cobra80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 33 of 61
    So where are the “analist” expert stock manipulators?? Huewie just announced that they surpassed Apple, ahem ahem...talking about throw away phone (PixelXL made by Huwie) beleived that I have one just replaced by Google.
    Picking up my IPhnX 11-3.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61
    But what about iPhone 8 sales??
    Gotta love how the press and even Wall Street freaked over punk sales when it pretty obvious that people were/are holding off any purchase till the X is out. And gotta love how little facts and accuracy matter to the media in this era of of the paramount priority of just spewing crap and spewing it fast.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 61
    I’d say it looks like a success. Judges?
    I’m an expert analyst. Apple is doomed and will be crushed with the weight of their billions of $$😂😂
    caliStrangeDaysSpamSandwichchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 61
    cpsro said:
    The technical screw-ups are also off the charts (speaking from personal experience ordering through AT&T). If these companies want so much of our money, they need to get the simple stuff correct.
    So true. I’m with Verizon and I live in area where only P.O. Box is our mailing address. But verizon preorder policy is to have same billing and mailing address but P.O. box not included 😬😣
  • Reply 37 of 61
    siretman said:
    I was able to get my iPhone X to deliver on November 3rd although my wife’s iPhone X will arrive November 17-24. We are on the Apple upgrade program and I am puzzled by a credit charge of $89.05 from Apple Online orders. Is this some sort of a service charge for the Carrier ATT?

I could be wrong, but it might just be the shipping charges, if not, then possibly an activation fee.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    If you have a half-decent delivery estimate for the one you ordered, you could always try to get one in a store and then sell the one you ordered on eBay with a big markup when it arrives. 
  • Reply 39 of 61
    I got my order in at 3:04 am EST time but my sister had issues with the iOS and website getting her order in so mine is the 3rd and hers is 2-3 weeks out. However in so far as this was a record blowout, not so fast. Did they sell out of initial inventory yes, but how much inventory did they actually have. Plus in the past Apple only offered sales in select markets to start, wit the X they opened it up worldwide so yeah no duh it sold out. Plus both colors, both storage sizes and every carrier regardless of your local worldwide it now says 5-6 weeks so to me that isn't a blow out, that is a decent sell. I am still on the fence if I will even like the X since you can't use it before you buy it, still it will be here on the 3rd.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Stop the internet’s!!!

Phil it’s been less than a day but we need you to go count how many iPhone Xs have sold because a guy on AI needs the numbers now!!!!1

StrangeDayschiaking editor the gratestompyAnilu_777watto_cobra