Apple sells out of launch day iPhone X supply in matter of minutes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    I should probably turn in my Apple fan boy membership card. I couldn't care less about iPhone X. When/if I need a new iPhone I may consider it, but for now I am happy with my iPhone 6.
    Did you get anything else new from Apple this year?
  • Reply 102 of 129
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    I should probably turn in my Apple fan boy membership card. I couldn't care less about iPhone X. When/if I need a new iPhone I may consider it, but for now I am happy with my iPhone 6.
    Yes, new Apple TV 4K, three new refurbished iPhone 6s for my wife and two girls, some cables, some leather iPhone cases and miscellaneous accessories. Probably some other stuff. Can't recall right now.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 103 of 129
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    Yes, new Apple TV 4K, three new refurbished iPhone 6s for my wife and two girls, some cables, some leather iPhone cases and miscellaneous accessories.
    I bought the new Apple Watch, the Series 3 Watch with cellular, and I've signed up for the cellular service and Apple Music since watchOS doesn't support Spotify. And while those two service are free for the first 3 months, I feel like I've spent a lot on Apple stuff in the last month so I'll be sticking with the iPhone 7 Plus even though I'm using the iPhone Upgrade Program. If these were spaced out more throughout the year I'd very likely more new items.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Soli said:

I bought the new Apple Watch, the Series 3 Watch with cellular, and I've signed up for the cellular service and Apple Music since watchOS doesn't support Spotify. And while those two service are free for the first 3 months, I feel like I've spent a lot on Apple stuff in the last month so I'll be sticking with the iPhone 7 Plus even though I'm using the iPhone Upgrade Program. If these were spaced out more throughout the year I'd very likely more new items.
    I'm still on Apple Watch 1 SS milanese loop, but the magnetic latch on the band is getting weak.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    macxpress said:
    Does anyone think they'll have them on display in the store, or would that be next week when its actually on-sale in the store? I'm kinda thinking it will be next week versus this week...I just don't want to visit an Apple Store when there's a big release like this. Its basically worthless to go in with so many people in there. 
    I don't know, but I think I am going to head into my local Apple Store and see if they have it on display yet. I will update this post with my findings.

UPDATE: No, they are not in the stores yet. They will be there next week.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 106 of 129
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

I'm still on Apple Watch 1 SS milanese loop, but the magnetic latch on the band is getting weak.
    There are simple home remedies to re-magnify a magnet, if I remember correctly, but I'd first see if Apple will give you a replacement band, even if out of warranty. When did you buy your Watch and do you have AC+? When you say "Apple Watch 1" do you mean the original Watch or the Series 1 Watch that came out a year later?
  • Reply 107 of 129
    macxpress said:
    Does anyone think they'll have them on display in the store, or would that be next week when its actually on-sale in the store? I'm kinda thinking it will be next week versus this week...I just don't want to visit an Apple Store when there's a big release like this. Its basically worthless to go in with so many people in there. 
    I don't know, but I think I am going to head into my local Apple Store and see if they have it on display yet. I will update this post with my findings.
    Based on their history, they will not have a single iPhone X on display until 03 Nov.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Soli said:
    There are simple home remedies to re-magnify a magnet, if I remember correctly, but I'd first see if Apple will give you a replacement band, even if out of warranty. When did you buy your Watch and do you have AC+? When you say "Apple Watch 1" do you mean the original Watch or the Series 1 Watch that came out a year later?
    Apple Watch original. I did have AC+ but I think it has expired at this time.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Apple Watch original. I did have AC+ but I think it has expired at this time.
    Yes, unless you got the gold or Hermes version which comes with 2 years standard warranty and an extra year with AC+. Still, I'd see what Apple has to say about an expensive band that isn't working as it should through no fault of your own.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 110 of 129
    cali said:
    This is a huge exaggeration. Nov 3 delivery was available well after 40 minutes of launch for many. Besides my personal checking, you can review comments in 9to5Mac to confirm that it took at minimum an hour for those times to be pushed. This is a BS piece which I’ve been seen more and more on this site.
    No it’s not an exaggeration.

I was in a chatroom and streaming live on YouTube watching pre-order sales and after 12:10AM dates were pushed back 2-3 weeks. Some people in the chat claimed their orders were pushed back even though they ordered sooner.

What does worry me a little is shopping times being stuck at 5-6 weeks as of this morning to 11:45AM.
    Is demand low? Probably not we’ll have to wait for official word from Tim Cook. 

As of 3:30 central shipping times are haven’t changed from 5-6 weeks. Hard to know if it means Apple is rapidly ramping up production or if there was an initial wave of demand that’s dropped off. Or perhaps the 5-6 weeks is a very broad estimate and some people will be getting sooner?
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Soli said:
    Has anyone gotten the promised email to claim the phone with a reservation number that “has been reserved for you?”
    I don't think Apple sends anything out until your shipment starts to get processed, but I think you can go onto their website to see the order you've made.
    Nope. 
  • Reply 112 of 129
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Soli said: There are simple home remedies to re-magnify a magnet, if I remember correctly, but I'd first see if Apple will give you a replacement band, even if out of warranty. When did you buy your Watch and do you have AC+? When you say "Apple Watch 1" do you mean the original Watch or the Series 1 Watch that came out a year later?
    It depends on the magnet material. If they’re neodymium (rare earth) magnets there’s no simple way to remagnetize them since it requires extreme heat (~300 C) and a properly oriented magnetic source much stronger than that of the magnet itself. Low cost flexible magnets like those used in refrigerator gizmos can be remagnetized using a properly oriented stack of strong Neodymium magnets. This article describes the process: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=remagnetize-flexible

GG1Soli
  • Reply 113 of 129
    dewme said:
    Soli said: There are simple home remedies to re-magnify a magnet, if I remember correctly, but I'd first see if Apple will give you a replacement band, even if out of warranty. When did you buy your Watch and do you have AC+? When you say "Apple Watch 1" do you mean the original Watch or the Series 1 Watch that came out a year later?
    It depends on the magnet material. If they’re neodymium (rare earth) magnets there’s no simple way to remagnetize them since it requires extreme heat (~300 C) and a properly oriented magnetic source much stronger than that of the magnet itself. Low cost flexible magnets like those used in refrigerator gizmos can be remagnetized using a properly oriented stack of strong Neodymium magnets. This article describes the process: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=remagnetize-flexible
    Could the Watch band be using Neodymium if it's already losing its magnetic attraction?
  • Reply 114 of 129
    55 countries limited stock and yet every country, silver or space grey, 64GB or 256GB is saying 5-6 weeks. Something tells me they sold well, but if it was a blowout it would be 2-3 months to get one, not 1 month plus. Apple refuses to state sales figures any longer and since they have SE, 6s and Plus, 7 and Plus, 8 and Plus I they can now say they sold tens of millions of phones a quarter but how many are the older cheap price point compared to the highest price point.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    raptoroo7 said:
    55 countries limited stock and yet every country, silver or space grey, 64GB or 256GB is saying 5-6 weeks. Something tells me they sold well, but if it was a blowout it would be 2-3 months to get one, not 1 month plus. Apple refuses to state sales figures any longer and since they have SE, 6s and Plus, 7 and Plus, 8 and Plus I they can now say they sold tens of millions of phones a quarter but how many are the older cheap price point compared to the highest price point.
    1) You can't determine the number of sales based on the currently stated shipping date because you don't know what their supply numbers are.

2) There is no "Apple refuses to state sales figures any longer" because they've always waited until the end of the first weekend of sales—not pre-orders—to state how many they sold in those first few days.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Soli said:
    dewme said:
    Could the Watch band be using Neodymium if it's already losing its magnetic attraction?
    I can’t verify but the Milanese Loop looks like it’s using a Neodymium magnet. These magnets do not generally weaken much at all over time. They are however susceptible to permanent losses due to heat, but we’re talking heat above 80 degrees Celsius, I.e., 175 F. I have seen issues with neo magnets degrading because the plating wears off and the actual magnet material, which is somewhat brittle, gets exposed to air and oxidizes rather quickly. If the formerly shiny magnet is gray and crumbling the plating has worn off and the magnet is falling apart. 
    Soli
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Soli said:
    Has anyone gotten the promised email to claim the phone with a reservation number that “has been reserved for you?”
    I don't think Apple sends anything out until your shipment starts to get processed, but I think you can go onto their website to see the order you've made.
    Nope. 
    Did you check, because I'm pretty sure I could login into my account on apple.com to see both my Apple Watch and Apple TV pre-orders from last month? This article from MR seems to back up my memory.

• Reply 118 of 129
    thru the Apple store app @ 12 03 pst - confirmed @ 12 07 - app is still confirming delivery for 11/3 - totally stoked - was broke 10 years ago when the 1st gen came out - have 6+S so worth waiting for - thanks bunches Apple!!
    Soli
  • Reply 119 of 129
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    felix01 said:
    OK, now that we've got shipping dates for our phones, anyone have iPhone X cover suggestions (beyond the ones listed on Apple's website)?
    Otterbox Commuter Series
    X-Doria
    Spigen
    Speck
    Just make sure that whatever case you purchase allows for wireless charging. The Apple silicone and leather cases both do.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    And I know someone in the US, not far from Cupertino, that didn't have the store showing a Buy option until around 12:10am (UCT/GMT-7:00) so what's this "fair chance" you're taking about? Are you suggesting that Apple is trying to stick it to the Dutch?
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    If you understood how the internet works you'd know that "opening up all websites globally at the same second" from the user's perspective is impossible.
    Actually, I understand it perfectly well. I've built very high traffic web applications in the past. Maybe not as high as the Apple Store during iPhone launch but close (think major global sports event).