Just as it did with iPhone 8, Best Buy tacks $100 extra onto upfront payments for iPhone X...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Boy, lots of prejudice against BestBuy for charging whatever they like for an iPhone.  Do you have the same disdain for airlines charging more than others for getting you to and from the same airports?  Or grocery stores charging more than others for the same food item?  Makes me wonder about the intelligence of not only the commenters on this board, but the authors who wrote the article to begin with.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 22 of 34
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    toddzrx said:
    Boy, lots of prejudice against BestBuy for charging whatever they like for an iPhone.  Do you have the same disdain for airlines charging more than others for getting you to and from the same airports?  Or grocery stores charging more than others for the same food item?  Makes me wonder about the intelligence of not only the commenters on this board, but the authors who wrote the article to begin with.
    Was there something in particular in the article that made you question my intelligence? I'd love to hear it.
    GeorgeBMacfrankeedloopyfroggericoco3
  • Reply 23 of 34
    bill42 said:
    While strange, at least Best Buy has a price matching guarantee, so as long as people notice they won't have to pay the extra $100...

No so. Price-match doesn't apply ...
    "contract phones like the iPhone 8/8 Plus do not qualify for our price match guarantee"
  • Reply 24 of 34
    netrox said:
    Reserved for people with higher disposable income.
    On the other hand, if you buy there and receive your iPhone X while supplies are still tight all over, you could resell your phone for a healthy profit.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    stanhope said:
    Best Buy is headed for the same graveyard as radio shack and circuit city...good riddance to rubbish.
    Like ComputerLand and CompUSA...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    "Price Match Guarantee" = We will rip you off until you catch us at it.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    toddzrx said:
    The answer to all of your moronic dotard questions is "YES".  I travel on SouthWest as they offer fair pricing.  For grocery stores I shop around and get the best price.  BestBuy rarely offers good prices.   Their sales people suck and I avoid them at all costs just like I avoid Wells Fargo for their "HAPPY" sales people.  I did buy a demo TV from BestBuy at a good price 10 years ago.   Haven't been back since.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Supply vs. demand.
    That's what you get out of this?

No reaction to "I would not be able to say why our price for the unactivated iPhone 8/8 Plus are $100 more than what Apple is charging, ... contract phones like the iPhone 8/8 Plus do not qualify for our price match guarantee." plus "Believe it or not when it comes to Apple products we have very little to say as to what price we sell their products for," 

My interpretation of this is "Believe it or not, you shouldn't believe what BestBuy tells you."
    Yes, that’s what I got from this. They believe they can get away with charging a premium price, so they are. eBay prices for the X ranging up to $3,500 provide good evidence there will be people willing to pay that premium.
    If people buy them at that price,  they do.  And apparently, it's a policy that's worked for them in the past.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    nhughes said:
    bill42 said:
    While strange, at least Best Buy has a price matching guarantee, so as long as people notice they won't have to pay the extra $100...

Price matching doesn't apply to iPhones. It's in the article.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you b*tch loudly enough, it does, in fact, apply.  An acquaintance of mine had a "whiskey tango foxtrot" moment with their department manager over this with an iPhone 8 purchase.  He just does that sort of thing for entertainment purposes (his own) though, and was perfectly prepared to walk if they didn't accede to his desires. :)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Best Buy, for me, has become what most of the other brick and mortar stores have become, i.e. a place to go look at stuff, and maybe get a hands on, and then find it online for actual purchase.  To be fair, sometimes that online place is Best Buy's site, when they can give me the price I need, but more often it's Newegg or B&H these days.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    nhughes said:
    toddzrx said:
    Was there something in particular in the article that made you question my intelligence? I'd love to hear it.
    How about the entire article.

Who cares if Best Buy sells an iPhone for more than other stores?  It's entirely their right to do so.  I can do an on-line search for an iMac and find several different prices for other Apple products, so why does it matter for the iPhone X?  You're questioning one of the foundational principles to how our economy works.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    toddzrx said:
    The answer to all of your moronic dotard questions is "YES".  I travel on SouthWest as they offer fair pricing.  For grocery stores I shop around and get the best price.  BestBuy rarely offers good prices.   Their sales people suck and I avoid them at all costs just like I avoid Wells Fargo for their "HAPPY" sales people.  I did buy a demo TV from BestBuy at a good price 10 years ago.   Haven't been back since.
    Moronic?  You're supporting my point.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    toddzrx said:
    nhughes said:
    toddzrx said:
    How about the entire article.

Who cares if Best Buy sells an iPhone for more than other stores?  It's entirely their right to do so.  I can do an on-line search for an iMac and find several different prices for other Apple products, so why does it matter for the iPhone X?  You're questioning one of the foundational principles to how our economy works.
    Best Buy dropped the $100 fee and are no longer selling the phone outright, because of customer outrage. Wonder about my intelligence all you want.