Apple updates iPhone X preorders with improved delivery estimates

Posted:
in iPhone
Many customers who went online early Friday to preorder an iPhone X were unable to snag a launch day device due to expectedly high demand, but it seems Apple is working on supply issues and has updated certain orders to reflect improved ship times.

A number of preorder customers are noting the delivery date changes in posts to online forums and social media services like Twitter.

While not universal, a majority of buyers seeing estimated shipping improvements were originally scheduled to receive their device between Nov. 10 to Nov. 17. As noted by one MacRumors reader, their order for a T-Mobile iPhone X was updated from what is thought to be Apple's second batch of deliveries to a launch day estimate of Nov. 3.

Other customers posting to Reddit are seeing identical changes in Apple's shipping schedule. At this time, most updated orders appear to be linked to T-Mobile units, though there is a possibility that Verizon, AT&T and Sprint will also benefit from the supply update.

As Apple has not furnished information regarding the updated estimates, it is not currently known why certain orders are seeing improvements while others are not. Cancellations, overly conservative stock estimates and accelerated manufacturing have been speculated as potential answers.

In any case, the improvement is good news for those who stayed up -- or woke up -- to place their preorder only to be left with a ship-by date one or two weeks out.

If manufacturing is to thank for the change, the revised delivery times bode well for customers originally quoted delivery dates of 3 to 4 weeks, or even 5 to 6 weeks. It would also suggest increased iPhone X supply running into the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Prior to today's start to preorders, analysts cautioned that iPhone X would be severely constrained at launch. Last week, noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple will likely have 2 to 3 million units on hand for the phone's Nov. 3 debut. By contrast, first weekend sales of iPhone 6 came in at more than 10 million units.

In a statement earlier today, Apple said iPhone X demand is "off the charts," adding that it is "working hard to get this revolutionary new product into the hands of every customer who wants one, as quickly as possible."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sounds like analysts blew it. Apple has a plentiful supply. 
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Wait for all spoiled @assh0les and entitle br@ts to chime in about not being able to buy (get) one NOW
    calimacseekermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    ©Doomed
    airmanchairmancalisuddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't think they've ever done this before. I wonder what caused this change. A new, artificial underpromise-overdeliver strategy, some new information since it went on sale about a needed component, or something else?

bobroo said:
    I'm sure Apple will use every iPhone X to badger the shit out of every owner to buy a subscription to Apple Music---more so than it already does.  Just an FYI
    1) How will the iPhone X "badger" people any differently than another iPhone running iOS 11?

2) What is the purpose of coming into a thread that mentions improved delivery times to make a comment about Apple Music in any capacity, either positive or negative?
    radarthekatmagman1979fastasleepddawson100StrangeDayswatto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 5 of 38
    AdambombAdambomb Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Im one of those lucky people, I was up at 1:01AM MST and completed the order by 1:05AM and I was told delivery of 11/10-11/17, but a few hours ago it changed to 11/3 and it was for T-Mobile 256GB version. 
    Soliradarthekatpaulpearlwatto_cobrabshankkonadawg68
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Had my order with Verizon confirmed at 3:01:30 AM for delivery on November 3rd. 

Still November 3rd.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I stayed up until it was time to order at 0201 (CST). The store (via the app on iPad and iPhone, and website on iMac) was unavailable until 0225. My ship estimate for the silver 256GB AT&t X is Nov 17-24. I don't know what a guy has to do to be let in at 0201, or at the beginning of preordering. I'm happy, but a little bit annoyed since I've experienced this before and decided to heed the directions to use the app.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I ordered a 64 SG from the apple app at about 12:14AM. I received a message that said "We are unable to contact your carrier (AT&T) and have reserved your iPhone for you, we'll contact you when we're ready to finish processing your order". I couldn't get on to the AT&T site to order it so I left it at that feeling comfortable but mildly unsure what my fate was. When I woke up this morning at around 7:15AM I hadn't heard from apple so I logged into my AT&T app and ordered another one to be safe. The 64 SG model was shipping in December but to my surprise the 64 Silver was shipping between Nov 2nd and Nov 10th! So I scooped one up and will just end up keeping which ever one comes first and return the other one. All in all it worked out well but we'll see come this Friday Update: I received an email from apple for me to finish my purchase. After I finished I was given a delivery date of Nov 3rd! Woot
    JFC_PAnapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Yep, T-Mobile order that went thru at 3:07am ET and originally gave me a Nov 10-17 delivery has been updated to Nov. 3rd! Woo Hooo!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Yep, T-Mobile order that went thru at 3:07am ET and originally gave me a Nov 10-17 delivery has been updated to Nov. 3rd! Woo Hooo!!!!
    Son of a bitch. I may have gotten in just a few seconds later than you because I also got in at 3:07am and got a November 17-24th estimate and it’s still showing as that.

On a positive note they emailed me and it looks like they’re going to honor the original delivery time for my wife’s order. She was estimated for the same timeframe as me but she didn’t pre-select her phone ahead of time (we’re both on the upgrade program) so she has to go through the approval process and when I went to order hers something went wrong during the approval process with Citizens Bank. I placed an order again around 9am this morning when I woke up but by that point it was up to 5-6 weeks. Got an email this evening from them that said they saw there was a problem with the original order and that if I placed a second order reply with the order number and they’ll fix it.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Adambomb said:
    Im one of those lucky people, I was up at 1:01AM MST and completed the order by 1:05AM and I was told delivery of 11/10-11/17, but a few hours ago it changed to 11/3 and it was for T-Mobile 256GB version. 
    I, too, got in through the Apple Store app at 12:04 (when it finally went online) and because I had pre-registered,  it only took about 15 seconds to checkout. However, I was surprised that my ship date was November 10-17. I was in and out in 15 or so seconds but still got a ship date a week later than launch day. Boy was I surprise when I checked my order a few minutes ago and found out my ship date was changed to the 3rd. Happy days! By the way, it was for the 256gb Space Gray, T-Mobile.
    edited October 2017 chrisbklyn
  • Reply 12 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    payeco said:
    Son of a bitch. I may have gotten in just a few seconds later than you because I also got in at 3:07am and got a November 17-24th estimate and it’s still showing as that.
    Keep in mine there are many SKUs for the iPhone X, not to mention various "stores" in which you could've made your purchase. This means you may have selected and completed your purchase before him and still got a later delivery time if the demand was higher and/or supply less for the particular capacity, carrier, color, and country that you made your purchase.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I ordered mine at 19:36 last night, and it arrived 45 minutes later. Unfortunately, the BBQ dip was missing, and the small Hawaiian was … no hang on, that wasn’t the iPhone order. 
    edited October 2017 konadawg68
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think that Apple deliberately starts off with a small amount of initial stock to make sure there are no problems in manufacturing.  Once they’re happy, then the full run gets under way. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 38
    payeco said:

I wouldn't be surprised if those purchasers with your dates (including me) eventually get bumped up at least a week.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Got pre-cleared for the loan with the upgrade program.  Worked out with models we wanted.  All I had to do was wake up at 12AM to order.  Of course forgot to set the alarm!
    Luckily, woke up at 1AM and realized my mistake.  Order placed relatively easily (after a few tries).  Delivery date now Dec 5-11.  
    Hopefully Apple will bump up the dates but I can wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Are these the ones with the new camera testing specs that Bloomberg reported or did TMo get the rest of its launch allocation confirmed?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    ibill said:
    ©Doomed
    Doomed X
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    doggone said:
    Got pre-cleared for the loan with the upgrade program.  Worked out with models we wanted.  All I had to do was wake up at 12AM to order.  Of course forgot to set the alarm!
    Luckily, woke up at 1AM and realized my mistake.  Order placed relatively easily (after a few tries).  Delivery date now Dec 5-11.  
    Hopefully Apple will bump up the dates but I can wait.
    My question is what’s going to happen next year when the new phone isn’t delayed. People that would have preordered in September this year now have to wait another 3 months before they can upgrade because or pay off the remaining three (of 12) monthsApple didn’t have the phone ready in time?
  • Reply 20 of 38

rainmaker said:
    I stayed up until it was time to order at 0201 (CST). The store (via the app on iPad and iPhone, and website on iMac) was unavailable until 0225. My ship estimate for the silver 256GB AT&t X is Nov 17-24. I don't know what a guy has to do to be let in at 0201, or at the beginning of preordering. I'm happy, but a little bit annoyed since I've experienced this before and decided to heed the directions to use the app.
    Well, what happened was all of us trying to preorder at exactly 12:01am PDT were performing a massive Denial of Service (DoS) attack on Apple's preorder servers. Following directions to use the app didn't exempt you from participating in (nor experiencing the effects of) our collective DoS attack.