Chicago flagship Apple store dimming lights at night to prevent further migratory bird dea...

Posted:
in General Discussion
After a watchdog agency devoted to tracking bird impacts on Chicago buildings alerted Apple to a possible problem, the new North Michigan Ave. flagship store will dim the lights nightly until the fall migration season ends.

Apple was alerted to the discovery of dead birds around the store by Chicago Bird Collision Monitors volunteers, according to the Chicago Tribune. The group claims that at night, birds become disoriented by lighting, and crash into the large glass panes that make up the store's exterior walls.

Apple spokesman Nick Leahy confirmed the communication with the group, and did acknowedge that there had been strikes. However, Leahy noted that there wasn't a "larger number" than expected.

"At least until we can get through the migratory season," said Leahy. "We will get the lights down as much as can overnight."

Chicago has a "Lights Out" initiative for high-rise buildings. The Apple store is two stories tall, and there are much larger buildings surrounding the store.

Chicago Bird Collision Monitors is an all-volunteer conservation project dedicated to the protection of migratory birds through rescue, advocacy and outreach. The project collaborates with building management, architects, planners and the public to prevent bird collisions.

In a brief interview with NBC affiliate WMAQ, Cook pointed out that Apple opened its first flagship store in Chicago some 14 years ago. The new location, which stands in the shadow of Chicago's iconic Tribune Tower, is a place where people can connect, he said.

"Some stores are for selling -- actually almost all stores are for selling," Cook said. "It's actually a small part of what we do in our store. Our stores are about service, supporting customers, being a place where customers can discover and explore our products, and education. And connecting. A place where people can connect."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    To any ornithologist: how do dimming of lights reduce the risk that migratory birds will strike the side of buildings? It seems counterintuitive. The reason buildings and other tall structures are lit at night (either entirely or with those flashing red marker lights) is so aircraft won't hit them.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    To any ornithologist: how do dimming of lights reduce the risk that migratory birds will strike the side of buildings? It seems counterintuitive. The reason buildings and other tall structures are lit at night (either entirely or with those flashing red marker lights) is so aircraft won't hit them.
    Not an ornithologist so maybe not qualified to answer your question but intriguing enough. Apparently:

"The reasons are not entirely understood, but nocturnal migrants often navigate by the stars and illuminated windows and other night lights often divert them from their original flight paths, especially in low-ceiling or foggy conditions."

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/why-do-migratory-birds-crash-into-buildings-at-night-and-how-can-people-prevent-it-from-happening/ and the site for the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors https://www.birdmonitors.net/

edited October 2017 netroxcalijony0
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Not an ornithologist either, but I think Apple should be credited to try to do the right thing, even if it makes any different or not. First of all, I assume none of those migratory birds are flying at that low of an altitude the Apple Store is at compared to the surrounding Chicago skyline. From what I recall, I think that stupid a$$ Trump Tower right down the corner is probably a much bigger problem for those migratory birds consider how anti-environment he is. Please leave Apple out.
    curtis hannahOferibillrandominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not an ornithologist either, but I think Apple should be credited to try to do the right thing, even if it makes any different or not. First of all, I assume none of those migratory birds are flying at that low of an altitude the Apple Store is at compared to the surrounding Chicago skyline. From what I recall, I think that stupid a$$ Trump Tower right down the corner is probably a much bigger problem for those migratory birds consider how anti-environment he is. Please leave Apple out.
    Apple being credited for doing something good?

BWAHAHAHA!!

People are just waiting for an iPhone X to have a problem. That will make front page news. 
    leavingthebigg
  • Reply 5 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    cali said:
    Apple being credited for doing something good?

BWAHAHAHA!!

People are just waiting for an iPhone X to have a problem. That will make front page news. 
    You can guarandamntee that someone will try to develop FaceIDgate...just wait and watch it happen. Every single iPhone release someone tries to come up with a major issue and then the "me too" crowd chimes in and makes a bigger deal out something than it really is.
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I call bull poopie!!!

Like this store is the only thing lit up in downtown Chicago......yeah right.

I'm no ornithologist but I have been outside...And I think you have too.

Don't believe this for a second, Apple is just trying to create a media event.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    bobroo said:
    I call bull poopie!!!

Are you new to Apple? They don’t make media events over their environmental choices neither does the media. 
    anantksundaramthinkman@chartermi.netjony0
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    bobroo said:
    I call bull poopie!!!

The bird SIG announced it to the press first.

Apple didn't announce a thing to the media.
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 17
    bobroo said:
    I call bull poopie!!!

The bird SIG announced it to the press first.

Apple didn't announce a thing to the media.

• Reply 10 of 17
    It's posted here isn't it?

It's on page 3 of the Chicago Tribune today.

It's being reported by every local news station this morning.

So, you don't think Apple released this (or had this released to the press) to create more hype for the new store????

If you don't, lemme guess, you think birds have not been effected by Chicagos skyscrapers and street lights for over 100 years yet are somehow suddenly impacted by that new little two story one by the river???

Unicorns and Rainbows for ever! I guess......
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    bobroo said:
    It's posted here isn't it?

It's on page 3 of the Chicago Tribune today.

It's being reported by every local news station this morning.

So, you don't think Apple released this (or had this released to the press) to create more hype for the new store????

If you don't, lemme guess, you think birds have not been effected by Chicagos skyscrapers and street lights for over 100 years yet are somehow suddenly impacted by that new little two story one by the river???

Unicorns and Rainbows for ever! I guess......
    The group made a press release about it on Friday. Apple commented on it on Saturday.

Regarding "unicorns and rainbows," did you even read the article? I'm guessing not. 

FTA: "Chicago has a "Lights Out" initiative for high-rise buildings. The Apple store is two stories tall, and there are much larger buildings surrounding the store."
    edited October 2017 jony0
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Don't feed the trolls, people. Just click the Ignore option. While mods may not have that freedom, the rest of us who just came for comments and conversation do. 
    edited October 2017 Oferdocno42jony0
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Are we sure this is not a test of the VR version of Angry Birds?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Please leave Apple out.
    Bullshit. Apple confirmed they've had bird strikes on the building. An organization asked them to dim the lights and Apple did. NOW we can leave Apple out.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    macxpress said:
    You can guarandamntee that someone will try to develop FaceIDgate...just wait and watch it happen. Every single iPhone release someone tries to come up with a major issue and then the "me too" crowd chimes in and makes a bigger deal out something than it really is.
    What bugs me even more than trolls gunning for Apple is that some same thing will happen to other manufacturers and it won't make a ripple in the see of junk media. No outrage, no righteous indignation, and no torches and pitchforks.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I understand your average everyday pigeons and sparrows hitting the glass windows, but surely migratory birds are flying FAR higher than the ground level apple store to even notice it?

• Reply 17 of 17
    Hi,
       I know some of the people in Chicago who count and tracks birds, Apple had nothing to do with this. The store is right on the river, a river birds use during migration. Apple then put a glass building on the river's edge and put green trees inside the building! There are few trees on that block so when the birds see the trees and not the glass... THUMP! After about 2 days of collecting birds they realized the Apple Store was a problem. These are migrating birds so no pigeons...mainly sparrows, finches and other smaller birds that tend to stay low to the ground to avoid hawks. From what I understand they even found a dead owl that hit the glass.
    edited October 2017