Apple says 'working hard' to get iPhone X orders to iPhone Upgrade Program customers after...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is an in between year for us, so it’s very unlikely that we would upgrade (though we would like to), so no problem.  Is this just a problem for those with the Apple upgrade program issue? So if we did decide to upgrade, would we not have a problem (except for the shipping delay, of course)?

Verizon allows us to upgrade at any time with the program we’re on. Yes, we won’t get any money back for our phones with this, but assuming we were willing to take that loss...
  • Reply 22 of 45
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    melgross said:
    This is an in between year for us, so it’s very unlikely that we would upgrade (though we would like to), so no problem.  Is this just a problem for those with the Apple upgrade program issue? So if we did decide to upgrade, would we not have a problem (except for the shipping delay, of course)?

Verizon allows us to upgrade at any time with the program we’re on. Yes, we won’t get any money back for our phones with this, but assuming we were willing to take that loss...
    Odds are it was a problem for that first 30 minutes when millions of people hit thecservers all at the same time. Classic DNS “attack” but from real traffic. 
  • Reply 23 of 45
    AJ MAC25 said:
    Agreed. After years and years of doing this, you'd think that Apple would have come up with a more effective and efficient process.

Especially with a logistics guy in charge. 
  • Reply 24 of 45
    AJ MAC25 said:
    Agreed. After years and years of doing this, you'd think that Apple would have come up with a more effective and efficient process.

If, as we read, this is a Capital problem, then it’s not really an Apple problem. And the shortages are unanticipated manufacturing shortages.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    pukoh said:
    If you need to get a loan to buy a phone, you probably shouldn’t be spending that money one a phone. 
    If you are part of the upgrade program, it might be financially smart to get the loan from Citizens One. You are paying the same amount for the phone over monthly payments as you would buying it outright. But, as most people buy with a credit card, you’re getting a loan anyway. 

However, you would be losing money because you’re turning in your current phone which you otherwise would be able to sell. 
    For example, the iPhone 7 Plus could be sold for about $350. 

• Reply 26 of 45
    I received a similar email. Since I couldn't use the loan program, I went ahead and used the one-time payment method to get the order in without further delay. When I replied to Apple's email, I said that I had changed my payment method so that I could order successfully, but that I preferred to use the loan program.

Apple responded to me by name, as you suggested in the article, but their message was a bit cryptic. See below. I have no idea what will happen to my order. Several days later now, the Online Order Status of my order has not changed. I don't know if I will get switched to the loan program or not.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 45
    So, I got this email. Didn’t know about the pre-approval thing. Placed my original order at 12:06 am. Got through the whole process and then got that message. Woke up to an email that my order failed. Got the order issue email and placed a new order. Estimated time on that order was 12/18. Checked in on my order tonight based on response from an additional follow up email, and order now says 11/3 delivery and preparing for shipment, which was the delivery date from my original order. We’ll see what goes down this week...
    I had the exact same thing happen 😡. I have not received anything from Apple beyond the order failed email. Is there an address on yours that maybe I could write to? The account they sent the other one from doesn’t accept inbound mail of course! Thanks and hope they get this figured out soon. 
  • Reply 28 of 45
    JFC_PA said:
    They had a week to get preapproved. They didn’t. They deserve what they got.
    I got pre-approval (after dealing with Bank One not having my correct ssn) and still had a delay: receiving an email from Bank One saying the loan was approved a number of hours AFTER placing my order in the middle of the night as soon as the app let me in. Only after which did I receive a confirming email from Apple with an order number, some time after that the order appeared in my account. 

And an extra two weeks with my geriatric 7 Plus?? I expect I’ll survive. 
    JFC_PA said:
    I got pre-approval (after dealing with Bank One not having my correct ssn) and still had a delay: receiving an email from Bank One saying the loan was approved a number of hours AFTER placing my order in the middle of the night as soon as the app let me in. Only after which did I receive a confirming email from Apple with an order number, some time after that the order appeared in my account. 

You were doubtless the dateless kid in school who everybody hated.  The system was screwed PERIOD.
  • Reply 29 of 45

pukoh said:
    If you need to get a loan to buy a phone, you probably shouldn’t be spending that money one a phone. 
    pukoh said:
    pukoh said:

If there is a God, one day you will wind up homeless.  If you don’t have a trust fund a real possibility given how stupid you sound.

• Reply 30 of 45
    melgross said:
    AJ MAC25 said:

If, as we read, this is a Capital problem, then it’s not really an Apple problem. And the shortages are unanticipated manufacturing shortages.
    Of course it's an Apple problem, to the extent that Apple chooses its partners: I am Apple's customer, not the financing company's (I think you meant 'Citizens'?). I gave you examples of possibly better companies they could have picked in the prior post.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 31 of 45
    jmpropst said:
    So, I got this email. Didn’t know about the pre-approval thing. Placed my original order at 12:06 am. Got through the whole process and then got that message. Woke up to an email that my order failed. Got the order issue email and placed a new order. Estimated time on that order was 12/18. Checked in on my order tonight based on response from an additional follow up email, and order now says 11/3 delivery and preparing for shipment, which was the delivery date from my original order. We’ll see what goes down this week...
    I had the exact same thing happen 😡. I have not received anything from Apple beyond the order failed email. Is there an address on yours that maybe I could write to? The account they sent the other one from doesn’t accept inbound mail of course! Thanks and hope they get this figured out soon. 
    Sorry it was a no reply address.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    cpsro said:
    I'll bet you won't see AT&T do anything special to reinstate orders it cancelled for stupid reasons, like not being able to verify a shipping address... when it's the account billing address!
    Always buy from Apple if you can--their service is so much better than the carriers'.
    At 2:51 I ordered my iPhone X and 2:53 I ordered my wife’s iPhone X both from AT&T (which is 11:51 & 11:53 pacific standard time) don’t know how or why the system allowed me to order mine 10 minuets before the actual pre-order was to start, that made me very happy, so I have no complaints with AT&T., Sorry things did not go as good for you.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    rob53 said:

2old4fun said:
    pukoh said:
    I can only assume you have limited financial knowledge. There are many financial reasons to obtain a loan to purchase something rather than to buy using ones own money. Apple sells bonds to pay for stock buybacks rather than using their billions of dollars. Maybe you could research the reason why.
    You're actually not really taking out a loan, you're spreading out your payment over two years (I don't see a 0% loan as being a loan). It's the same thing most people used to do before the Apple Upgrade Program, just through their cellular provider. Everything was spread out over two years, making it easier to pay. @pukoh must either be new to the US or a kid who's new to buying on time. 
    A 0% interest loan is still a loan. Apple is giving you a device worth $1000 in return for your promise to make regular payments on the device. How does that not seem like a loan to you?

I wonder how many put a credit freeze on their accounts after the Equifax breach and got caught? Both my wife and I put credit freezes on our accounts since we don't plan on taking any loans out, opening new credit cards, etc any time soon, but I admit I didn't consider getting a new phone as taking a loan, even though that's what it is. We're not planning on upgrading, so it doesn't affect us, but I'm sure there were a lot of people that were. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    jmpropst said:
    Sorry it was a no reply address.
    Thanks for responding. I also took a long shot and emailed Tim Cook last night. Apple Executive office just called me! They are looking into it. Pretty cool. 
  • Reply 35 of 45
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    stanhope said:
    JFC_PA said:

JFC_PA said:

You were doubtless the dateless kid in school who everybody hated.  The system was screwed PERIOD.
    “Hated” because I’m okay with a slight 2 week delay that means I’ll be using my quite nice (“geriatric”
    clearly being sarcasm) iPhone 7 Plus a bit longer? 

Silly bunny. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 36 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    melgross said:
    AJ MAC25 said:

If Apple picked them, and its Apple who loses the sale because of this, it is certainly Apple's problem. I think this snafu may be the last we see of this financing company by years end.
    Car companies built financial arms just for that reason, not being dependent on some external party to deliver a critical part of their service.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    JFC_PA said:
    pukoh said:
    It’s the Apple Upgrade program. 

It's still a loan, albeit an interest free one.   If they're willing to give me an interest free loan for 18-24 months so that my money can stay in my account and earn interest, or be available for an emergency, until the payment date, I'm perfectly OK with that.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 38 of 45
    We're on upgrade plan, but in November, so no supply issues.

Surprisingly painful, un-Apple like experience, both when we did it first time (at an apple store, over an hour), and even more painful the 2nd time, (at an apple store, 2.5 hours).

I get the credit check the first time, but after paying on time for 12 months, why does citizens one need a 2nd full credit check?  We checked out the first time AND have paid on time for a year, AND it's only a $1000 item.  I get that it's a different $1000 item at upgrade time, but seems more wasteful than helpful.

It's easier financing a $30,000 car than a $1000 phone.

Side hassle:
    Complicating the upgrade the 2nd time, we had just-previously changed our VZW plan to lower the cost a bit, so we were in a "pending" status between one VZW bill and the next.
    Can't change phones when "pending"!?!?!  Had to call VZW, put the phone plan BACK to what it was, finish the new-phones, THEN call VZW right back and change the plan again.

The whole experience could stand to be "Apple-ized".

I liked the comments here about Apple getting a finance-wing.  Their 3rd party partners aren't usually as good.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    melgross said:
    AJ MAC25 said:

Of course it's an Apple problem, to the extent that Apple chooses its partners: I am Apple's customer, not the financing company's (I think you meant 'Citizens'?). I gave you examples of possibly better companies they could have picked in the prior post.
    I don’t know how they could expect one company would be better than another in this circumstance.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    foggyhill said:
    melgross said:
    AJ MAC25 said:

If Apple picked them, and its Apple who loses the sale because of this, it is certainly Apple's problem. I think this snafu may be the last we see of this financing company by years end.
    Car companies built financial arms just for that reason, not being dependent on some external party to deliver a critical part of their service.
    It’s. It likely they’ll lose a sale over this, but rather, have a later one. It’s Apple problem in that sense though. These are all large financing companies. I would be surprised if any company Apple could have picked wouldn’t have had the same problem. Apple has had problems themselves because of rapid sales. Here, there were between 2 and 3 million phones available for presale, if true. It was sold out in 10 minutes. That would cause a problem no matter what.