Who's online hack

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
It's cool, install it please

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    A few questions:

Any tangible benefits to it?

Any advantages over, say, AIM/ICQ status on each member's posts?

How difficult to install is it?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Basically, it adds a tiny table over each forum page (not over the threads pages) listing who's browsing this forum at the moment. If you don't want to be listed, you can enable invisible mode for yourself (radio button on the login page).

Well, it's a hack. That means you have to edit some UBB files. Not sure if gorgonzola will go mad when you tell him that.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Is it really needed? What's the point of it?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    As this isn't really a feature-enhancement (and is more for the 1337 factor) I don't think that we will install this at this time. It is rumored to be included in the default feature set of UBB 6.2, which we will install as soon as it comes out - probably sometime this summer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    That's about as useful as having the number of times a message has been viewed displayed.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Is it really needed? What's the point of it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let's install UBB 1.0. Who needs all this crap UBB 6.x has?

• Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Infinite Void:

<strong>

Let's install UBB 1.0. Who needs all this crap UBB 6.x has?

</strong><hr></blockquote>AppleInsider has turned off most of the crap that isn't needed, stars, member ratings etc... Can you directly answer the question? It really isn't useful.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

<strong>That's about as useful as having the number of times a message has been viewed displayed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I would find this useful... I sometimes like to know how many people are lurking... Also, if I have a post in the genious bar for example and noone replies, I dont know if people are just not seeing it or dont understand the question...

I think that feature could be useful...

-Paul
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Synotic:

<strong>AppleInsider has turned off most of the crap that isn't needed, stars, member ratings etc... Can you directly answer the question? It really isn't useful.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sorry for being a bit ironic. But I thought I answered this question already (somehow at least). To be more specific: It's interesting to see how many users are browsing a certain forum and who this is. Call it curiosity if you like to.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Infinite Void ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I think that we're going to install more functional hacks before something that just answers "curiosity".
  • Reply 11 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I too find this feature both cool AND functional. Other boards have it and I use it as a gauge of how many people are browsing and who.

it helps at times.

I also like the page view thing
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I think that we're going to install more functional hacks before something that just answers "curiosity".</strong><hr></blockquote>

Curiosity is the reason I visit rumor sites.