Early iPhone X video roundups examine build quality, Animoji, gestures

Posted:
in iPhone
Early examinations of the iPhone X have started to pop up on YouTube, with everybody who has seen the device as a result of early delivery or at retail commenting on build quality and speed of the phone.

YouTube "Soldier Knows Best" notes that he was invited to an Apple facility in New York City to handle the phone, with the company "nailing the design."

Channel "Highsnobiety" appears to have used the device in a retail store, and tested it with ARKit-compatible applications, and demonstrated the Animoji feature on video.

For French speakers, "The iCollection" got hands-on time with the device in white and black.

YouTuber "Booredatwork" examined gestures more in-depth than the other channels at what appears to be the same venue as "Soldier Knows Best," and commented that the device was a natural fit for those with large hands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Wired has first impressions posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/iphone-x-first-impression
  • Reply 2 of 22
    “a natural fit for those with large hands” lol so me and all women and president babyhands are SOL
    edited October 2017 ktappemacky the mackymontrosemacskonadawg68
  • Reply 3 of 22
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    “a natural fit for those with large hands” lol so me and all women and president babyhands are SOL
    Yes, I find that worrying; I have an X on pre-order but already things are at the limit of comfort for one-handed use with the normal-sized iPhone 7.

I totally trust Apple to nail something like FaceID but not necessarily to make a one-handed phone bigger than the SE.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    dotcomcto said:
    Half of the comments, are 100% androidite crapping their pants in public.

Some say,,. ohh, confirmed its "shit" (sic) you need to look at the screen for it to work...
    Well, is't that the fracking point. Do you want it to unlock as soon as your in view?

The reactionary comments on the internet about Apple products are ludicrous in their "loserness".

They're offended that somehow, someone has the money to spend on this product. It fouls their sensibility that we exist!
    Can we not see like them that his "overpriced" (aka, I'm too poor to buy it and actually would if I had the cash, so I am going to bitch about it).
    bb-15doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Not even counting the notch and rounded corners, which remove even more display area, the X has a slightly smaller display area than previous Plus phones, despite the X having a longer diagonal measure. This is because the horizontal:vertical aspect ratios are different between the designs.

IMHO: nothing yet beats the look, feel and probably resilience (aside from scuffing) of the Space Black 7 series. It's Darth Vader morphed into a smart phone.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 6 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Animoji sounds like a winner. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    noelos said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Yes, I find that worrying; I have an X on pre-order but already things are at the limit of comfort for one-handed use with the normal-sized iPhone 7.

I totally trust Apple to nail something like FaceID but not necessarily to make a one-handed phone bigger than the SE.
    While the display area is still less than the 5.5" iPhone and it's the same width as the 4.7" iPhone, its elongated design -and- both Notifications and Control Center being accessed via the segmented status bar does seem like it will be tough for either 4.7" and 5.5" users with one hand, especially when having to complex a swipe movement. If that's the case I can see this same aspect ratio being applied to a smaller display if this becomes a common annoyance.
  • Reply 8 of 22

Okay,  YouTube as a marketing vector, got it.  But wouldn't it make sense to not publicly fire employees whose daughter does the same thing.  I get that she (and he) were not part of the marketing community, but insn't that just what AAPL wanted with its multiple reviews on YouTube, a viral hit?  Her hit count was above 3.7M views for her apology https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/30/apple-reportedly-fires-engineer-whose-daughter-shot-iphone-x-video-from-the-apple-campus/ 

-RJ
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Steven Levy says the notch "magically" disappears in screen captures. Do the rounded corners also give way to sharp corners?
    ktappedoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Thanks for the videos, it's crazy that the iPhone X seems like a wonderful phone and the face Id seems to work all of time. Almost like Apple knows what it's doing, now who would've guess that. ;)
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    cpsro said:
    Steven Levy says the notch "magically" disappears in screen captures. Do the rounded corners also give way to sharp corners?
    Yes, because developers build for the box form of the display size. They need to keep in mind where the display area isn't present, but Apple has made this as simple as I can imagine making it

edited October 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    newtonrj said:

Okay,  YouTube as a marketing vector, got it.  But wouldn't it make sense to not publicly fire employees whose daughter does the same thing.  I get that she (and he) were not part of the marketing community, but insn't that just what AAPL wanted with its multiple reviews on YouTube, a viral hit?  Her hit count was above 3.7M views for her apology https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/30/apple-reportedly-fires-engineer-whose-daughter-shot-iphone-x-video-from-the-apple-campus/ 

-RJ

Right but there were also apple product codenames that were revealed in the video. It was very sloppy imo. Then there is no recording allowed on Campus, multiple rules were broke.
    tycho_macuserdoozydozenStrangeDaysmacky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    foggyhill said:
    dotcomcto said:
    Half of the comments, are 100% androidite crapping their pants in public.

Some say,,. ohh, confirmed its "shit" (sic) you need to look at the screen for it to work...
    Well, is't that the fracking point. Do you want it to unlock as soon as your in view?

The reactionary comments on the internet about Apple products are ludicrous in their "loserness".

They're offended that somehow, someone has the money to spend on this product. It fouls their sensibility that we exist!
    Can we not see like them that his "overpriced" (aka, I'm too poor to buy it and actually would if I had the cash, so I am going to bitch about it).
    I agree with you and all the ridiculous Android hate, but comments like this don't help. "Can we not see like them that his "overpriced" (aka, I'm too poor to buy it and actually would if I had the cash, so I am going to bitch about it)."

They all think we are foolish hipsters that spend money on anything just to be able to show off with the newest and shiniest... I can afford it and get a new phone every year, but even I took s step back when the prices were finally revealed.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    noelos said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

While the display area is still less than the 5.5" iPhone and it's the same width as the 4.7" iPhone, its elongated design -and- both Notifications and Control Center being accessed via the segmented status bar does seem like it will be tough for either 4.7" and 5.5" users with one hand, especially when having to complex a swipe movement. If that's the case I can see this same aspect ratio being applied to a smaller display if this becomes a common annoyance.
    I think a lot of people would like this, myself included. My ideal device would be something like the X, but with a 4.2” screen and a body size to match. 

On another note, interesting to see the flickering dot projector in the first video. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    newtonrj said:

-RJ
    Nope. One broke company policy, the others are in the wild. Big difference.
    tycho_macuserStrangeDayswatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 22
    newtonrj said:

-RJ
    Oh no! Not this again. 

The NDA specifically prohibits photo/video on campus. That was already reason. 

Moving along....
    tycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    cpsro said:
    Not even counting the notch and rounded corners, which remove even more display area, the X has a slightly smaller display area than previous Plus phones, despite the X having a longer diagonal measure. This is because the horizontal:vertical aspect ratios are different between the designs.

IMHO: nothing yet beats the look, feel and probably resilience (aside from scuffing) of the Space Black 7 series. It's Darth Vader morphed into a smart phone.
    For video which doesn't run into the notch, I'd agree. 
    But for the home page and many apps you would be wrong.
    1. The notch is part of the top information bar in iOS so, it saves screen space for most uses of iOS, like looking at AppleInsider in a browser.
    2. Below the iOS information bar, in terms of vertical space (which is very useful in a phone), the iPhone X should be about equal to the Plus for many apps and the home page.   
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    newtonrj said:

-RJ
    It has been reported that the fired Apple employee had his daughter release confidential employee codes over YouTube. 
    That is a violation of not only the Apple NDA but could lead being fired at many companies which would not want confidential co-worker information to be released. 
    - I don't see that problem being reported with other people who have shown their iPhone X in the wild. 
    edited October 2017 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    noelos said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

One-hand use Phone is so 2010...Get used to it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    noelos said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

I think a lot of people would like this, myself included. My ideal device would be something like the X, but with a 4.2” screen and a body size to match. 

On another note, interesting to see the flickering dot projector in the first video. 
    One thing that I seem to be the only person wondering is how Apple will/would do the notch in iPhones with different size displays.

You can either go with the same size notch as in the 5.8" iPhone, but that would mean in a larger iPhone X-style device (rumoured to be 6.4" to have the same width as the Plus-series iPhone) you may have a thinner status bar and definitely wider "ears" on each side of the "unibrow" –or– you can adjust the notch to be the same relative size on both devices.

With a smaller iPhone (like the ≈ 4.2" size you mentioned) would this be longer but less-width "ears" or would they shrink the "unibrow"? Would Apple utilize this extra status bar width for more icons that the other iPhones wouldn't get? Would a wider notch (6.4" model) allow for Face ID components to be more accurate and/or more accurate at a further distance? Would a less-wide notch (4.2" model) affect the icons in the status bar, require even smaller Face ID components and/or affect the distance in which Face ID will accurately work?

How will any of this affect developers? For example, if you reduce the height of the notch for each display size does that mean that each size now needs to have a programmed Safe Area that is unique?