Apple Park visitors center complete, slated to open before end of 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion
The visitor's center on the new Apple Park is complete, with a travel-oriented publication detailing the facility scheduled to open before the end of the year.

A recap of Apple Park's visitor center was published by Byways on Monday, and rounds up the key feature of the $108 million facility

The Visitor Center has four main segments, with a retail store with assorted Apple-related paraphernalia, a cafe, an observation deck, and a space for an augmented reality experience about the Apple Park itself.

The augmented reality aspect is based around a scale model of Apple Park, and employees will hand visitors iPads with the software loaded on it. As visitors pan the iPad over the model, information about that particular building pops up.

AppleInsider visited Apple Park in early September, when we were present for the iPhone X launch event.

Company filings in the summer of 2015 described the visitor's center as a two-story facility with a 2,386-square-foot cafe and 10,114-square-foot store, topped by a carbon fiber roof and observation deck situated 23 feet above ground level, with 684 underground parking spaces. Apple planned to operating the new visitor center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends.

Apple reportedly paid $4,000 per square foot for the building, more than double the $1,500 per square foot price tag for the overall project.

The visitor's center features solid glass walls with rounded corners, providing panoramic views into the central segment that appears similarly to the modern Apple Store, complete with a massive video wall. The south end of the building features a cafe with indoor seating facing a white expanse of surrounding paving suitable for outdoor seating

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is an amazing structure and just being across the street from Apple Park proper and in its own parking lot will make it easier to shop than their current setup of a store as part of the main buildings in 1 Infinite Loop. You pretty much have to plan to shop that at lunch time to get a parking spot.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Apple store FE edition ... Fanboy Edition
    peterhartDavidAlGregoryJWSC
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ariearie Posts: 27member
    I am planning a trip there in 2018. Would you know if the store would sell good quality Apple products different from what we can find in a typical Apple Store?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    arie said:
    I am planning a trip there in 2018. Would you know if the store would sell good quality Apple products different from what we can find in a typical Apple Store?
    No, they sell the same shitty products millions of people around the world buy and love everyday in the Apple Park Retail Store. Sorry!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ariearie Posts: 27member
    macxpress said:
    arie said:
    No, they sell the same shitty products millions of people around the world buy and love everyday in the Apple Park Retail Store. Sorry!
    I meant coffee mugs, tee-shirts and things like that. Not better computers or other devices 😀
    JWSC
  • Reply 6 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    arie said:
    macxpress said:
    arie said:
    I meant coffee mugs, tee-shirts and things like that. Not better computers or other devices 😀
    Oh! :smiley: I thought you were trying to be funny with Apple not making good quality products. My fault!

I think they do have bags and stuff. I remember someone was showing some of the things. Mugs and stuff though I'm not sure of. It would be cool to see though. 

peterhartariepatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 14
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    Nothing new in this article.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I was so hoping there would be tours of the actual campus, not just viewing from across the street. I understand that they don’t want hordes of people getting in the way of work, but most big companies offer some kind of limited and constrained tours of their facilities. Maybe small trams?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    robjn said:
    Nothing new in this article.
    And nothing new in your post.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 14
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    My guess it will be open for employees only for the iPhone X launch. They have done ‘employees only’ on launch days at the Infinite Loop store in the past.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    arie said:
    macxpress said:
    arie said:
    I meant coffee mugs, tee-shirts and things like that. Not better computers or other devices ߘবt;/div>
    I've been to the campus store at the old building. You can buy coffee mugs, thermal mugs, notebooks, pens, t-shirts, etc. I imagine the same items will be available at the new campus store. 
    edited October 2017 arie
  • Reply 13 of 14
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Hey when I went to the store at 1 Infinite in the 80's I picked up a pair of Apple brand sneakers, and now some auction house thinks they are worth 30 grand! (I'm not that guy, and that auction didn't meet theor minimum.) They must be worth something though! So grab those mugs, who knows their worth in thirty years!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    arie said:
    macxpress said:
    arie said:
    I meant coffee mugs, tee-shirts and things like that. Not better computers or other devices ߘবt;/div>
    I've been to the campus store at the old building. You can buy coffee mugs, thermal mugs, notebooks, pens, t-shirts, etc. I imagine the same items will be available at the new campus store. 
    Yeah, lots of great stuff they don’t sell anywhere else, not even on a their online store.