Original iPhone early reviewer Steven Levy heralds iPhone X as kicking off Apple's next de...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    tzeshan said:
    Face ID won't recognize him sometimes.  What will happen to all women who put on heavy cosmetics to the face?  
    And I'm curious to see what happens when said makeup ends up smeared all over the dot projector and fancy illuminators and infrared cameras thru phone calls. Since the required precision is so high, you'd think it would required a crystal clean camera area, not one covered with makeup, sweat, and body oils from holding it to your ear. Don' t know about you, but my wife's screen is pretty greasy. I have a feeling owners are going to have to get used to wiping down their notch areas every time they want to unlock.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tzeshan said:
    Face ID won't recognize him sometimes.  What will happen to all women who put on heavy cosmetics to the face?  
    It uses lasers to create a 3D depth map of your face. Cosmetics will have no effect.
    Have these lasers been tested and verified as safe for using with Humans by the FDA?
    I will wait a while.   I would rather have an X with Touchid on the back and a Small notch not the giant eye-sore the X has.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fmalloy said:
    tzeshan said:
    And I'm curious to see what happens when said makeup ends up smeared all over the dot projector and fancy illuminators and infrared cameras thru phone calls. Since the required precision is so high, you'd think it would required a crystal clean camera area, not one covered with makeup, sweat, and body oils from holding it to your ear. Don' t know about you, but my wife's screen is pretty greasy. I have a feeling owners are going to have to get used to wiping down their notch areas every time they want to unlock.
    I would be very surprised if Apple hadn’t smeared the lense with Bovril during the years they’ve been testing this. I know a few women who wear quite a lot of makeup and they’ve never needed to wipe down the lense for a Facetime call, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem for FaceID. 

I think folk need to bear in mind that this more like grabbing a radar image than taking a photograph. 
    edited October 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    tzeshan said:
    Nothing. 

But nice job stirring that FUD around. 
    edited October 2017 watto_cobrapatchythepiratesuddenly newton
  • Reply 25 of 49

schlack said:
    I think calling it a half way point is a good description. The features are cool and cutting edge. But it will take a few more years to fully realize their potential in software and use cases. Also, at ~$1,500 including decent storage, an Apple case, AppleCare, and tax (6%) it feels more like a tech showcase than a phone that most people will really buy. Even as a huge Apple fan without a budget per se, I don't think I could justify spending more than $800 on a new phone.
    You can’t add extras you don’t need and pretend that’s the real price, durr. I got the 64gb because I’m not even using 40gb today, so by definition it’s certainly decent storage. And nobody includes cases or insurance policies when discussing rival phone prices. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    fmalloy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Gosh, if only Apple thought to test it before launch! Doh, poor Apple!
    edited October 2017 watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    schlack said:
    I think calling it a half way point is a good description. The features are cool and cutting edge. But it will take a few more years to fully realize their potential in software and use cases. Also, at ~$1,500 including decent storage, an Apple case, AppleCare, and tax (6%) it feels more like a tech showcase than a phone that most people will really buy. Even as a huge Apple fan without a budget per se, I don't think I could justify spending more than $800 on a new phone.
    I could.  It’s the most personal, most important and (by far) most used instrument for connecting me to everybody and most every activity in my life.  Sure, I could do most of that with an $800 phone, or even a $349 iPhone SE, but I could also justify spending $1500 too.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49

k2kw said:
    tzeshan said:
    It uses lasers to create a 3D depth map of your face. Cosmetics will have no effect.
    Have these lasers been tested and verified as safe for using with Humans by the FDA?
    What the fuck...? What on earth are you talking about? That’s pure FUD nonsense. If you have a link that shows Apple lasers are harmful to human health, share it. But you won’t, because it doesn’t exist. 
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    With AAPL up on both Friday and today, I think the value of the high-demand, higher value “X” is being factored into the stock price.
    I think @sog35 is somewhere, crying in his beer...

But I am sure he'll be back, boasting how many millions of shares he bought right before AAPL went to $166+ per share.
    What was he going to do with his Capital after selling AAPL?  Buy some Shopify shares?  Maybe he can be found on a message board related to that company.
    edited October 2017 king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    We can make many facial expressions.  For example, laughing will cause considerable change in face 3D. Does Face ID know you are making facial expression that is different from when you set it up?
    Of course there will be some initial issues. There almost always is, but for the most part I expect FaceID will work just fine for most folks under most circumstances. So what if a user has to resort to passcode every once in awhile? The iPhone X has so many other great features and this is just one. Over time with OS updates I fully expect Face ID will become just as dependable and easy to use as Touch ID is. Some folks are just less comfortable with change. 
    How Face ID is setup?  Is it so smart that during the setup process you can make many facial expressions like laughing, closing eyes,?
  • Reply 31 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    We can make many facial expressions.  For example, laughing will cause considerable change in face 3D. Does Face ID know you are making facial expression that is different from when you set it up?
    Of course there will be some initial issues. There almost always is, but for the most part I expect FaceID will work just fine for most folks under most circumstances. So what if a user has to resort to passcode every once in awhile? The iPhone X has so many other great features and this is just one. Over time with OS updates I fully expect Face ID will become just as dependable and easy to use as Touch ID is. Some folks are just less comfortable with change. 
    How Face ID is setup?  Is it so smart that during the setup process you can make many facial expressions like laughing, closing eyes,?
    You know, it will only be a few more days before real phones get into real users hands. Then we'll start seeing what issues there are if any at all. In the meantime everyone is just guessing about how effective and reliable it is or isn't, what things might affect it and what things are just needless concerns. We don't really know yet, but I trust Apple to make it so more than anyone else. 
    edited October 2017 patchythepiratemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    You know, it would easier to go to the Apple site and read up on it. 

You don’t have to make facial expressions because it is not looking at your face; it’s looking at the structure of your face and using AI to work out if it’s you. 

The covering of skin on the front of your skull is not your face. Your face is the layout of bones underneath the skin. 

Remember that film Face/Off with your man Travolta and Nicholas Cage, where they swap faces? That wouldn’t work. If you take the skin off one person’s skull and put it on the skull of another person, the recipient would look the same as he did before, aside from skin tone. 
    edited October 2017 dewmeStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member

k2kw said:
    tzeshan said:
    What the fuck...? What on earth are you talking about? That’s pure FUD nonsense. If you have a link that shows Apple lasers are harmful to human health, share it. But you won’t, because it doesn’t exist. 
    Put your uninformed knickers back on. Lasers are harmful and can potentially severely damage your eyes. Which is why they are NOT used for Face ID. The dot matrix is an infrared projection. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 49
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:

You don’t have to make facial expressions because it is not looking at your face; it’s looking at the structure of your face and using AI to work out if it’s you. 

The covering of skin on the front of your skull is not your face. Your face is the layout of bones underneath the skin. 

Remember that film Face/Off with your man Travolta and Nicholas Cage, where they swap faces? That wouldn’t work. If you take the skin off one person’s skull and put it on the skull of another person, the recipient would look the same as he did before, aside from skin tone. 
    If Face ID is able to use the skull as identification, it is probably very unique. 
  • Reply 35 of 49
    And the iPhone X is another wake up call for Apple’s competitors to catch up on technology features on not so smart phones. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Rayz2016 said:

Good advice.

Here's a link: https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

Yeah, they considered makeup in the design.
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 37 of 49
    With AAPL up on both Friday and today, I think the value of the high-demand, higher value “X” is being factored into the stock price.
    I think @sog35 is somewhere, crying in his beer...

But I am sure he'll be back, boasting how many millions of shares he bought right before AAPL went to $166+ per share.
    It was such an easy decision for me to permanently block him. I come here for breaking news and occasional "insider" info, not his deranged rantings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 49
    k2kw said:
    tzeshan said:
    I will wait a while.   I would rather have an X with Touchid on the back and a Small notch not the giant eye-sore the X has.
    It's not a laser, for crying out loud. It's an infra-red dot map. Not even visible.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I made over $2500 over 2 days on my 280 shares of AAPL purchased on Thursday before the launch. Seriously, AAPL will hit $180 sooner than I expected. I expected it'd be in Feb financial press conference.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    k2kw said:
    tzeshan said:
    Are you fcking serious? iPhone X doesn't use any laser, but infrared sensor for FaceID camera. Infrared is light emitted by LED at wavelength between 700nm-1000nm.
    BTW, Notch is the excellent design from many reviewers. In fact, they don't even remember if it's there. you better get your hand on the phone to try instead of reading bullshits from Android forums.