iMac Pro used for demo station, photographed at Final Cut Pro X Creative Summit

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's iMac Pro made an appearance at the Final Cut Pro Creative Summit, with users at the gathering using it for rendering and demonstrations of the newly-announced update to the video composition suite.

Twitter user Chris Fenwick took a shot of the device, calling it "beautiful" and capable of playing un-rendered 8K footage in a Timeline in the updated Final Cut Pro X.

The new iMac Pro looks beautiful but it was playing unrendered 8K footage in a timeline... THAT'S crazy!! #FCPX Creative Summit. pic.twitter.com/B38gIhQKtB

-- Chris Fenwick (@chrisfenwick)
Final Cut Pro enthusiast blog FCP.co took a shot of the front of the machine at the event on Friday, including the Space Gray Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and keyboard.

Twitter user "bkbkbk" got a shot of the front of the machine from a different angle, and a close-up of the Magic Mouse in Space Gray.

This iMac can beat up your iMac. pic.twitter.com/39n5mdE9Qw

-- Brian King of Beasts (@bkbkbk)

This iMac can beat up your iMac. pic.twitter.com/39n5mdE9Qw

-- Brian King of Beasts (@bkbkbk)
The iMac Pro made a brief appearance at the 2017 WWDC. It will feature a 5K display, Vega Graphics, up to 18-core Xeon processors, up to 4TB of SSD storage, and will start at $4999 when it ships in December.

At the Final Cut Pro X Creative Summit on Friday, Apple debuted Final Cut Pro 10.4, a hotly anticipated update to the flagship professional video editing suite that includes support for VR, HDR footage, direct integration for iOS video and more. Apple has not announced a firm release date, but says the next version of FCPX will be available at some time in 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If the space grey, full-sized wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad can be purchase I'm guessing those will be popular options, even if there's a premium (not unlike the original black poly-carb MacBook), but I'm wondering if this iMac will even sell as well as the Mac Pro "trash can" did upon its initial release.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Presumably it can also drive an external 8K monitor to view that unrendered 8K footage in real time.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    The problem is that with all those resolution pixels Apple monitor may not be not video editing quality (definitely publishing issues existed). Still EIZO and NEC monitors are dominant and one would prefer solid Mac Pro dedicated CPU with video card for work than some big aggregate with monitor. From past expereince also Apple monitors fade over time and become low grade. Integrate with CPU and you have unneccessary cost of repair or throwing out good CPU because of bad monitor. We still run studion on separate CPU and definitelly high quality professional monitor of select size.

Maybe that iMac pro was good for demo, but as far as long term adoption there will be questions. You do not need to replace monitors every 2 years because they turn yellow or have issues with backlight.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    That iMac Pro has dual Vega Pro custom GPGPUs.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I think this is great, but what we're seeing here will be the fully spec'd version which costs $17k+
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make standalone headless mini TOWER as well as Thunderbolt display 27-inch. All-in-one iMac is a waste and environmental aggression, since CPU may last seven years, but displays last for more than 20 years.
    mike54
  • Reply 7 of 16
    appex said:
    Apple should make standalone headless mini TOWER as well as Thunderbolt display 27-inch. All-in-one iMac is a waste and environmental aggression, since CPU may last seven years, but displays last for more than 20 years.
    That's probably what the new Mac Pro will be..hopefully.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    appex said:
     More of this mindless drivel. Nobody uses a 20 year old monitor. Nobody. 

iMac is highly recyclable and thus no environmental aggression, whatever the fuck that means. My primary desktop imac is six years old and still in service (fully loaded, SSD, etc). Its monitor is already outdated as it’s not 4k or 5k. Thus your theory is proven bunk. 
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    It's somehow nice to know there's a beastly AIO BSD-ish workstation with a Unix command line out there, if I ever needed it. 

I just wish they kept the socketed RAM from the regular 27", you can't upgrade the Pros RAM later, I wonder why. Airflow? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    That iMac Pro has dual Vega Pro custom GPGPUs.

It's not dual, it's a single GPU. You were thinking of the two HBM stacks maybe? It's Vega 56 and 64, but in a lower clocked "Pro" SKU. One GPU. 

https://www.apple.com/ca/imac-pro/

• Reply 11 of 16
    Will Apple sue the person who took the picture.

i mean. It’s an unreleased product and everything.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    appex said:

A display lasting 20 years? Really? Do tell because 20 years ago, they were no IPS displays. There were CRTs everywhere. And they generate a lot of energy. 

Also by 10 years, displays lose their color accuracy and their brightness. 

watto_cobrafirelock
  • Reply 13 of 16
    CobraGuy said:

not if they decide to show it in public themselves
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    CobraGuy said:

I love posts like this. It makes figuring out who should be blocked so much easier. Adios!
    yoyo2222watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    netrox said:
    appex said:

A display lasting 20 years? Really? Do tell because 20 years ago, they were no IPS displays. There were CRTs everywhere. And they generate a lot of energy. 

Also by 10 years, displays lose their color accuracy and their brightness. 

I would have thought anything less than 4k HDR was taking up more space than it was worth.
    Soli
  • Reply 16 of 16
    CobraGuy said:

Apple gave us explicit permission to capture and share photos and video during the demo.  There will be no lawsuits.