Video: AppleInsider goes hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
AppleInsider has our hands on Apple's highly anticipated iPhone X, and offers a closer look at the new edge-to-edge OLED display, Face ID biometric system, and much more with this in-depth video overview.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Drool.  Great report.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    What is the blinking light in the notch that I saw in some of the close up? Seems distracting...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Someone remind me, when Touch ID first came out with the 5S did it reviewers have issues with it? I’ve never had a issue with it but can’t remember if reviewers did. I wonder if FaceID will be similar.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Rene Ritchie says X is the best phone Apple ever made.

https://www.imore.com/iphone-x-review?amp

I’m still not a fan of these rushed reviews. I want to know what someone thinks after a week (or more) of use not a day.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Someone remind me, when Touch ID first came out with the 5S did it reviewers have issues with it? I’ve never had a issue with it but can’t remember if reviewers did. I wonder if FaceID will be similar.
    There’s absolutely no doubt there will be a slew of questionable reports stating Face ID is an abject failure. There will be claims it doesn’t work at all, works sporadically, let’s my sister open my iPhone X, etc. YouTube videos will pop up purporting to show Face ID is “child’s play” to defeat. The FUD machine will be firing on all cylinders. We are going to have to be very cautious about believing any non professional reports. The long knives are out for the iPhone X and trolls are salivating at the thought of trashing it. The onslaught will dwarf anything we’ve experienced before. And those “will it blend” weirdos will gladly pay $1K to stick it in a blender or drop it in acid.
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 19
    klock379 said:
    What is the blinking light in the notch that I saw in some of the close up? Seems distracting...
    That's the IR dot projector. Only visible on cameras obviously.

Did you notice the hump of dead pixels on the right side of his notch? Max will be returning this phone I expect. 

propod
  • Reply 7 of 19
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor

I’m still not a fan of these rushed reviews. I want to know what someone thinks after a week (or more) of use not a day.
    Yeah, six paragraphs in he acknowledges that he spent one day with it and he has already published a review. Did he even have time to run down the battery? Come on. When the thirst for traffic trumps common sense.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    klock379 said:
    That's the IR dot projector. Only visible on cameras obviously.

Did you notice the hump of dead pixels on the right side of his notch? Max will be returning this phone I expect. 

Something is wrong with the display, yes. Daniel also acknowledged in his first look that the colors are off from certain angles, which was not a problem we saw in earlier time spent with the hardware. We're looking into the issues with Apple.
    edited October 2017 indiekidukretrogusto
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

I want to see the screen in person soon, I know it reviews are saying it looks great, but at 450PPI and diamond pentile that looks like the telltale nonlinear pixel patterns from it. Most people won’t notice, but I also notice the blockiness from 326ppi on my 7 and the slight blur from downscaling on the Plus. Some reviewers never notice those and framerate drops. 

(You can tell what I mean better on the verge page with a bigger image, check out the blue Messenger icon)

edited October 2017 indiekiduk
  • Reply 10 of 19
    There were definite issues with the first implementation of touch ID, even before the 5S came out, the mainstream tech outlets were panning it saying it would never work well. They were mostly basing this off of the Motorola Atrix 4G's poor implementation of a finger print scanner and they were questions on how apple was going to fight deterioration of the sensor from wear and tear and grime from fingers.  As to how reviewers perceived touch id here's a link on how some of touch id short comings. 

Here's another one from the Huffington Post 
    edited October 2017 bb-15StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    There’s absolutely no doubt there will be a slew of questionable reports stating Face ID is an abject failure. There will be claims it doesn’t work at all, works sporadically, let’s my sister open my iPhone X, etc. YouTube videos will pop up purporting to show Face ID is “child’s play” to defeat. The FUD machine will be firing on all cylinders. We are going to have to be very cautious about believing any non professional reports. The long knives are out for the iPhone X and trolls are salivating at the thought of trashing it. The onslaught will dwarf anything we’ve experienced before. And those “will it blend” weirdos will gladly pay $1K to stick it in a blender or drop it in acid.
    Sure seems like some are trying as hard as they can to get it to fail because they want it to be a failure. I’m sure Nilay Patel and the guys over at the Verge were salivating at their chance to trash it.
    bb-15
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nhughes said:

Yeah, six paragraphs in he acknowledges that he spent one day with it and he has already published a review. Did he even have time to run down the battery? Come on. When the thirst for traffic trumps common sense.
    Well to be fair he did say he would be reviewing it more and I’m sure he will publish his thoughts as he does. I blame Apple. Why are people getting review units so late?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    tipoo said:

I want to see the screen in person soon, I know it reviews are saying it looks great, but at 450PPI and diamond pentile that looks like the telltale nonlinear pixel patterns from it. Most people won’t notice, but I also notice the blockiness from 329ppi on my 7 and the slight blur from downscaling on the Plus.

I can clearly see that nonlinear pixel pattern. I'm also concerned about jaggy text or halos like the green tinge on the left side of white text on the HTC pentile screens.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Casey Liss, of ATP podcast, wrote a blog post giving his reasons why Apple went with the review strategy they did. Some of his arguments make sense. And while I’m not crazy about reviews from someone who only had the device for one day I couldn’t care less if some established outlet is offended that they didn’t get first dibs to write paragraphs about how much they hate the notch.

https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr
    retrogusto
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nhughes said:

Well to be fair he did say he would be reviewing it more and I’m sure he will publish his thoughts as he does. I blame Apple. Why are people getting review units so late?
    Not everyone got it so late. The whole process has been rather strange this year.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Regarding AniMoji's, do they only work between iPhone X's? What happens when you send a AniMoji to a non iPhone X or other OS?

• Reply 17 of 19

Rene's review is exceptionally detailed and well-written. You do him a disservice by calling it a rushed review.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 18 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What impresses me more than any of the technical improvements is that ONCE AGAIN:
    Apple has made major changes to the UI necessitated by eliminating a major input device -- but did it with such care and forethought that the result come off as actually BETTER than the original UI that is being replaced.

The organization that can do that even once, much less time after time, is exceptional and rare.

I think the first time they did that was in 2007 where they took MacOS and replaced the external keyboard and touchpad/mouse/cursor with something that worked even better.

And, then they did it again with the Apple Watch -- and now the X.

I find the ability to do that as just incredible and admirable -- almost miraculous.  To me, more than anything else, it paints a bright future for Apple. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Rene's review is exceptionally detailed and well-written. You do him a disservice by calling it a rushed review.
    It is detailed and well-written, but calling it a full-on review after a day of use? 

I don't even review a drive enclosure until I've used it for a month.
    bb-15GeorgeBMac