Apple's iPhone X passes twin test in early hands-on with Face ID

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    Oh God it's already happening...

#TwinGate

The internet is on fire with mockery and suddenly everyone has an identical twin and this is a problem.....
    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: 
  • Reply 62 of 79
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the FaceID security.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/10/31/iphone-x-first-impressions.cnnmoney

They cheated. They enrolled the first twin and immediately tried the second twin.
    CNN defrauds their viewers? Who knew?
    CNN is pretty bad. 
  • Reply 63 of 79
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cali said:

#TwinGate

The internet is on fire with mockery and suddenly everyone has an identical twin and this is a problem.....
    It's ridiculous at how Apple gets treated compared to other phone makers. Why do people hardly say anything about Samsung's awful facial recognition and somehow FaceID has a problem? So stupid. 
  • Reply 64 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    I know Face ID isn't even officially out yet, but I want a Face ID Remote for my Apple TV so that just holding the remote means that apps, menus, Netflix user queues, music playlists, saved locations on videos, and other content switches to my user profile. Is that too much to ask? Probably, but who would've thought that we'd have this tech just a decade after the original iPhone launched?

slurpy said:
    Now that is fucking impressive. 
    Very impressive. Windows Hello, which uses RealSense technology from Intel and only ever stated a 1:100,000 in face recognition security (or 1/10th that of Face ID) faired very well with twin tests so I'll only be surprised if they don't do exceptionally well here. I think this tech is one where each increase in statistical accuracy increases its security exponentially.

I’ve suggested every Apple feature being on Apple TV but closed-minded people say it’s useless.

Although that new ring in the remote makes me very curious. I have a feeling the Apple TV team had TouchID planned there but was removed last minute.
    The raised white ring around the Menu button on the new Siri Remote has been great for allowing me to more quickly orient the device without accidentally pressing the capacitance touch screen. I no longer need to use a cloth-elastic hair tie over the base of the remote.
    Agree about the ring making it easier but those homemade solutions are a little silly. Why don't you guys buy a cover? They solve to many problems.
    I’ve used both a hair tie and a cover, the tie is less intrusive on the remote use since the cover puts an edge to the swipe area up top. Makes side clicking and swiping slightly more annoying. 
  • Reply 65 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cali said:

#TwinGate

It's ridiculous at how Apple gets treated compared to other phone makers. Why do people hardly say anything about Samsung's awful facial recognition and somehow FaceID has a problem? So stupid. 
    In a couple of weeks it will be a thing of the past. Every release someone has to nitpick some stupid little issue (which usually isn't an issue) and blast it everywhere. Everyone is just looking for Apple to fail. Why? Because its a story that will immediately get massive amounts of clicks. Thats all that matters in today's journalism...the amount of clicks a site gets. Never mind the BS story it wrote...its all about the clicks. 
    jony0
  • Reply 66 of 79
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    CNN did a test with two identical female twins and they were able to beat the FaceID security.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/10/31/iphone-x-first-impressions.cnnmoney

They cheated. They enrolled the first twin and immediately tried the second twin.
    CNN is pretty bad. 
    Mashable put up a YouTube video with the same problem as the CNN "test". 
    With Mashable they had two sets of twins sitting close to each other when the second twin unlocked the iPhone X. 
    The problem with this "test" is obvious for a person who knows the basics of experiments and an understanding of what Face ID can do. 
    1. Don't mix together your subjects. If twin #2 is the subject, turn the locked phone face down and then get twin #1 out of the room!
    2. Why? Because Face ID can not only unlock at a distance but also at an angle. 
    This was demonstrated with a Verge video where the iPhone X easily unlocked (in doors/good lighting conditions) with the phone next to the person's belt (about 2 feet/2/3 of a meter and at an angle) from the person's face. 
    * Again, as with CNN, the Mashable "test", the twins are a couple of feet away from each other, with eyes open; then whose face unlocked the iPhone X? Unknown. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 67 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mrboba1 said:

I'm curious, not challenging: how is this cheating?
    It is kind of. Face ID only stores baseline data for the first use. Over time, it updates the user's profile to specific characteristics on the face by having more mapping points/locations. Unless the twin have 99% identical face features, Face ID will recognize the difference. You may have 200 points on the face with the same IR maps, but when it goes to 10,000 points, there must be many different points that don't overlap between the twin faces.
    edited October 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 68 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cali said:

#TwinGate

It’s obvious. Saying this without any sarcasm. Everyone knows that a lot of what Samsung does either works poorly, or doesn’t work at all. So after the mention of it in reviews, sometimes just in a passing way, no one bothers to talk about it, because we know it, and it’s beating a dead horse, as the expression goes.

when Apple does something,, people expect it to work, and work well, even Android users. So they try to thwart it. It’s fun to try, because it’s often not easy, and requires some ingenuity. And the reward is publicity. If someone uses a poor quality photo to fool the Samsung or LG system, is this really news?
    Rayz2016jony0
  • Reply 69 of 79
    macxpress said:
    cali said:

#TwinGate

In a couple of weeks it will be a thing of the past. Every release someone has to nitpick some stupid little issue (which usually isn't an issue) and blast it everywhere. Everyone is just looking for Apple to fail. Why? Because its a story that will immediately get massive amounts of clicks. Thats all that matters in today's journalism...the amount of clicks a site gets. Never mind the BS story it wrote...its all about the clicks. 
    This is like the horns. So many people, even here, complaining about that, even though they never even held the phone. Every single review I’ve seen, or read, today said the same thing. After a short time, they forgot about it, even when watching full screen video.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    I have a beard. Not like some little wimpy, wannabe-Hipster weak beard, but a real, full beard. It will be interesting to see how faceID reacts to that.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    ZooMigo said:
    I have a beard. Not like some little wimpy, wannabe-Hipster weak beard, but a real, full beard. It will be interesting to see how faceID reacts to that.
    You mean, like a caveman, hermit or homeless kind of beard?
  • Reply 72 of 79
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    bb-15 said:

CNN is pretty bad. 
    With Mashable they had two sets of twins sitting close to each other when the second twin unlocked the iPhone X. 
    The problem with this "test" is obvious for a person who knows the basics of experiments and an understanding of what Face ID can do. 
    1. Don't mix together your subjects. If twin #2 is the subject, turn the locked phone face down and then get twin #1 out of the room!
    This was demonstrated with a Verge video where the iPhone X easily unlocked (in doors/good lighting conditions) with the phone next to the person's belt (about 2 feet/2/3 of a meter and at an angle) from the person's face. 
    * Again, as with CNN, the Mashable "test", the twins are a couple of feet away from each other, with eyes open; then whose face unlocked the iPhone X? Unknown. 
    I actually need a little more confirmation on this part. Oh no, I don't doubt it can unlock at distance and angle. What I worry about is, at what extent - how far the distance and how big the angle.

Because if I was sitting next to someone who is playing with my locked phone, I don't really want it to accidentally unlock just because the sensor "catch" my eyes and face.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Too bad Orphan Black is done.  I'd love to see whats-her-name try to unlock an iPhone X in all her various guises.  I have no idea if the phone would pass that test.
    I presume you are referring to the incredible Canadian actor, Tatiana Maslany. Given how much use they made of the iPhone in Orphan Black the writers probably would have tried to highlight the feature somehow.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    ZooMigo said:
    Or is it more a Santa beard or maybe a Dothraki kind of arrangement?
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

kevin kee said:
    bb-15 said:

CNN is pretty bad. 
    I actually need a little more confirmation on this part. Oh no, I don't doubt it can unlock at distance and angle. What I worry about is, at what extent - how far the distance and how big the angle.

Because if I was sitting next to someone who is playing with my locked phone, I don't really want it to accidentally unlock just because the sensor "catch" my eyes and face.
    Then while you’re giving people your locked phone, look away. 

Or if you see your phone has unlocked, take it back. 

Or stop giving people your phone to play with. 

Number two is probably the easiest option. 

Update:

Before you hand over your phone, hold down one of the volume keys and the power. This will disable FaceID by putting the phone in emergency mode.  Press cancel then give them your phone to play with. 

To to be honest, this sounds like another contrived use case. What can you “play” with if the phone is locked?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 76 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:

kevin kee said:
    bb-15 said:

CNN is pretty bad. 

Update:

Before you hand over your phone, hold down one of the volume keys and the power. This will disable FaceID by putting the phone in emergency mode.  Press cancel then give them your phone to play with. 

To to be honest, this sounds like another contrived use case. What can you “play” with if the phone is locked?
    What if you want the person to unlock your phone, for instance your spouse, because you can't at the moment? Being able to register more than one face seems like an obvious improvement Apple might make next year. 
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    ZooMigo said:
    Or is it more a Santa beard or maybe a Dothraki kind of arrangement?
    All white and scraggly?
  • Reply 78 of 79

gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:

kevin kee said:
    bb-15 said:

CNN is pretty bad. 

Update:

What if you want the person to unlock your phone, for instance your spouse, because you can't at the moment? Being able to register more than one face seems like an obvious improvement Apple might make next year. 
    If she does it so rarely, give her the password. No big deal. It’s easier to change that than do the face thing.