Apple iOS 11.1 now available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with 70 new emoji, other improve...

Posted:
in iPhone
After a month-long testing process, Apple has made available iOS 11.1 including a fix for the KRACK wi-fi exploit, and a large amount of accessibility feature fixes.

In addition to the KRACK wi-fi attack vector rectification, Apple's iOS 11.1 also includes the return of the 3D Touch multitasking app switcher.

Apple's notes on the update proclaim that the update "introduces over 70 new emoji." The new emoji require iOS 11.1 devices for the intended recipient as well, or the graphic in question won't be properly displayed.

Other fixes include resolution of several issues in Photos, improved Accessibility with many VoiceOver enhancements and improved braille device support, some Apple Watch data handoff issues repairs, and a problem resulting in inaccuracies in location data from external GPS devices has been patched.

Still absent are Apple Pay Cash, and AirPlay 2.

Three "sub-point" updates proceeded the iOS 11.1 release, fixing some glaring bugs -- all of which have been rolled into iOS 11.1.

The update is a 311.3 MB download on an iPhone 7 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So I tried the beta of 11.1 - didn't really have any issues with it.  So now that the real 11.1 is out do I need to do anything or does it automatically update and remove the beta version?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I have to wait for organisation to approve the update (the joys of BYOD MDM programmes) but any sign of Messages in iCloud?
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    welshdog said:
    So I tried the beta of 11.1 - didn't really have any issues with it.  So now that the real 11.1 is out do I need to do anything or does it automatically update and remove the beta version?
    no you are good. As long as you are in developer bata tasting program you'll always have latest bata updates! If you want opt out from developed bata program then just erase developer prof. from your phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Does anyone care about emojis?  I’m not sure why that would be even worthy of mention.

I hope phones don’t start touting the number of emojis offered.  Mine has 20,000 emojis.  Your phone is crap!  Mine has 25,000.

I think I’ve used under 5.  Smiley face.  Frowny face.  
    jbdragonkingofsomewherehotwillcropointMisterKitargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Does anyone care about emojis?  I think I’ve used under 5.  Smiley face.  Frowny face.  
    You must be over the age of 14. 
    AMcKinlay2178BanditkingofsomewherehotMisterKitbeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 38
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Been hitting refresh waiting for this one! 

Hopefully the battery life is back to normal and framerate drops are mostly gone. 
  • Reply 7 of 38
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Does this improve battery life, anyone know?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Does anyone care about emojis?  I’m not sure why that would be even worthy of mention.

I hope phones don’t start touting the number of emojis offered.  Mine has 20,000 emojis.  Your phone is crap!  Mine has 25,000.

Emoji's are HUGE in China. Guess what one of Apple's biggest markets is? Yup, you guessed it...China! I see people using them all over the place here in the US as well. Apple and Google wouldn't focus on it if it wasn't important.
    chialostkiwilolliverargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 38
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    ombra2105 said:
    I have to wait for organisation to approve the update (the joys of BYOD MDM programmes) but any sign of Messages in iCloud?
    Sorry, no... One of the first things I took a look at.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    AI_lias said:
    Does this improve battery life, anyone know?
    Yeah, I know! Tested it for 65 minutes  :/
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Just so you’re aware, emojis are huge everywhere, not just in china, not just in japan, not just to people under 14. 🤔🤫🤭😘

Edit: I mean aside from stodgy old appleinsider and macrumors forum members. Then you have to be constantly baffled and angry at emojis or other people daring to have fun with technology. *pounds desk* THAT’S NOT WHAT STEVE WANTED! FIRE COOK! 
    StrangeDaysdws-2lostkiwilolliverwlymbeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

As a 41-year-old pro enterprise software developer, yes, I use and enjoy emoji. They're a form of gamification in my comms...while it's trendy for haters to mock them on rumor sites, I can't understand how the expansion of unicode character sets can in any way cause you harm. Apple doesn't invent the emoji, a standards committee does and leaves it up to OS vendors to support the characters.
    edited October 2017 dws-2lolliverargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Emojis are actually part of the Unicode specification for characters, as defined by the Unicode Consortium, the latest version being 10.0 with the Emoji being defined under a separate Emoji specification 5.0.  Anyway it means all devices that implement the current, recently released Unicode 5.0 specification will have (near enough) the same number of emojis, thus a good sign a device is using the latest operating system and software.

http://www.unicode.org/

http://blog.unicode.org/2017/05/unicode-emoji-50-specification-now-final.html?m=1
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Final build #?
  • Reply 15 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    They need to replace 
     and I mean soon.  Completely unrealistic.
    edited October 2017 wlymargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 38

Now you know why Apple increased the storage capacity of their iPads and iPhones.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    So far the phone seems improved. Was absolute Apple crap before (says this former fan--asleep at the wheel they were with the first release, turned my 6s into a mess).  At least now opening the camera to take photos, get this, it opens!  Somewhat quickly.  Looking forward to and hoping for more responsiveness across the usage.  iOS 11 was the first Apple release to totally disappoint me and throw off the usefulness of my phone. And I am not alone.  My friend posted about it on FB and got a stunning number of responses with the same issues.  

argonaut
  • Reply 18 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    macxpress said:

Emoji's are HUGE in China. Guess what one of Apple's biggest markets is? Yup, you guessed it...China! I see people using them all over the place here in the US as well. Apple and Google wouldn't focus on it if it wasn't important.
    They are popular in other Asian countries as well. I have friends in Taiwan and South Korea and it drives me nuts when I'm chatting with them and they respond with either stickers or emojis. 
  • Reply 19 of 38
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Battery. Period. What about the battery. Unicode consortium or not, emojis are not what we want the update to lead with. Battery fixes, there’s a reason for an update. 
  • Reply 20 of 38
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Fully agree with many of you: The battery drain as a result of the previous software update should have been a priority with 11.1
    Maybe it was. 
    I'll find out after I download the update. Hopefully I'll be smiling. If not, you know which new emoji I'll b using. 😉
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra