macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 arrives, contains Microsoft Exchange sync and KRACK fixes

Posted:
in macOS
Shortly after releases of the rest of the Apple-supplied operating systems, the company has also issued macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 with support for the new emoji, and other fixes.

The release notes for the update are sparse, with the company calling out only the 70 new emoji, a Bluetooth bug involving Apple Pay, reliability improvements to Microsoft Exchange message syncronization, and a Spotlight input problem. Apple does note in a separate security content page that the assorted KRACK wi-fi vulnerabilities have been patched.

The release version is build 17B48. The last beta version was build number 17B46a. Full external GPU support is still not included, and is expected to arrive in the spring.

On a 2016 MacBook Pro, the download is 4.8GB.

High Sierra debuted in September with marquee features like the new Apple File System (APFS), support for Metal 2 graphics, H.265 integration, an improved Safari experience and more.

Apple last updated macOS High Sierra for all users on Oct. 6 with a supplemental release designed to patch critical Disk Utility and Keychain vulnerabilities. That update also fixed a mail deletion issue in Mail and a graphical bug seen when using Adobe InDesign.

Apple has also updated it's developer beta test version of High Sierra 10.13.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Anyone heard if this addresses crashing when connecting or disconnecting to external displays?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I'm on High Sierra, but I'm wondering about the people still on earlier versions (like Sierra and El Cap, which should still be supported) and the KRACK fixes. Any expectations that those OS versions will also get at least a security update?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    chasm said:
    I'm on High Sierra, but I'm wondering about the people still on earlier versions (like Sierra and El Cap, which should still be supported) and the KRACK fixes. Any expectations that those OS versions will also get at least a security update?
    I wouldn't hold my breath. There's no apparent motion in that direction.

Edit: Apple did!

edited October 2017
  • Reply 4 of 17
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    ...and of course it breaks the nVidia card drivers that worked at 10.13.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    chasm said:
    Sierra also received a "security update" today.  I assume it also fixes the KRACK issue.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    This was a frightening update process but it worked fine in the end. What was scary is that my MacBook Pro rebooted like 5 or 6 times during the process... going to black screens, gray screens, staying stuck for like 20 minutes or more with progress bar half-way through... but finally it came back to life and all is well. Some kinda Halloween trick I doubt, but I thought Freddy Krueger had come to visit. These OS updates and new releases are getting scarier by the year... Adobe CC 2018 is truly "A Nightmare On Elm Street" for many but I'll leave that for their Forums. Whew!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    At Apple discussions there‘s a miles long thread about High Sierra constantly freezing on MacPros and MBP, mine included. Seems to be a bug related to graphic drivers. I had a 4K Display connected and the machine stopped responding at least 2 times a day until I switched to an older pre 4K display. 
    Sounds similar to what Eric_WVGG is experiencing. So if anyone with the same kind of problem could report if the update adresses this bug I‘d be glad to hear.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'll update when I get home. I'm holding out hope that an update will fix an issue going back a few macOS versions where my mac spontaneously locks, and displays a login screen. Seems to happen randomly.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    keithw said:
    ...and of course it breaks the nVidia card drivers that worked at 10.13.
    Point updates always do.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I hope they eventually fix the Spotlight invocation issue that started with High Sierra.

I used to be able to press Cmd-Space and quickly begin typing my query, using this 99% of the time to launch or switch to an app. I use this all the time to jump into Keychain Access. But now, under High Sierra, Spotlight is not invoked immediately as it was before. It seems to take a moment, and quite often I have to press Cmd-Space a second time before it appears.

• Reply 11 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

eightzero said:
    I'll update when I get home. I'm holding out hope that an update will fix an issue going back a few macOS versions where my mac spontaneously locks, and displays a login screen. Seems to happen randomly.

That never happens to me. I would do a quick housekeeping check to see if you have any third-party apps or inputs installed that is causing instability.

JFC_PA
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    chasm said:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208221

Security releases today for El Cap and Sierra that fixes KRACK. Should be available in the App Store.

And before anyone goes berserk over whether there’s KRACK fix for Apple’s Airport and Time Capsules you might want to visit TWIT TV and view the Security Now video going into a mind-bendingly detailed description of the KRACK hack. The problem lies with the client’s (not router) response to the fourth handshake in the WPA2 protocol. The router (or authenticator) doesn’t create the issue, the client (your Mac, iPhone, etc) does. Your router, under unusual conditions, could be involved if it serves as a client to another router, something most home networks won’t ever be set up to do. But yes, routers should be patched too but it’s not anywhere near as critical as your client. And I expect and eventual firmware update for Apple’s networking products so chill.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Fixed my Exchange problem.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208221

Security releases today for El Cap and Sierra that fixes KRACK. Should be available in the App Store.

And before anyone goes berserk over whether there’s KRACK fix for Apple’s Airport and Time Capsules you might want to visit TWIT TV and view the Security Now video going into a mind-bendingly detailed description of the KRACK hack. The problem lies with the client’s (not router) response to the fourth handshake in the WPA2 protocol. The router (or authenticator) doesn’t create the issue, the client (your Mac, iPhone, etc) does. Your router, under unusual conditions, could be involved if it serves as a client to another router, something most home networks won’t ever be set up to do. But yes, routers should be patched too but it’s not anywhere near as critical as your client. And I expect and eventual firmware update for Apple’s networking products so chill.
    I stand corrected on the update and was working on the news item as you posted based on the time stamp -- and I'm glad it's happened.

Like I said on the podcast, though, this isn't a wide attack. It's not as targeted as, say, the vault 7 stuff -- and a client patch will pretty much exterminate any chances of somebody getting infected.

I think that any KRACK patch for AirPort is a litmus test for Apple's future plans for the hardware that was last updated forever ago. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

eightzero said:

That never happens to me. I would do a quick housekeeping check to see if you have any third-party apps or inputs installed that is causing instability.

It happens with no apps running.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Does anyone know if this solves the issue with preview icons not showing up in the Finder. For example, album artwork for music doesn’t show up like it’s supposed to in the Finder or in a folder. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 17 of 17
    chasm said:
    I wouldn't hold my breath. There's no apparent motion in that direction.

Edit: Apple did!

Seriously Mr Editor?

You expected Apple to abandon a release of macOS (Sierra) on security only one year after its release? How long have you been writing about Apple? Supporting at minimum the version of OSX immediately preceding the current major revision has always been Apple's M.O. when it comes to security fixes. And for a major issue like this I'm not surprised at going two releases back.