First look: Apple's bionic iPhone X with Face ID

Comments

• Reply 62 of 153
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Mr. H said:
    Could you check if Apple have replaced the triple-click home button shortcut with anything? How do you launch the magnifier (that uses the camera as a magnifying glass)? 
    This was, in a sideways kind of a way, answered in the live video - the triple-click of the home button has been replaced by triple-click of the side button.
    jony0netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 153
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Gruber has paid his dues...

But, lately, I read fewer and fewer of his articles -- too much politics!
    StrangeDayspatchythepiratenetmage
  • Reply 64 of 153
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    iPhone X is impressive. Although most of what he showed in the video I have already known, it's still great to confirm the facts. Sadly, a lot of people still have doubts about new technology like FaceID, which is okay, it's understandable. Only time will prove to these people eventually that FaceID is better than TouchID, both in technology and user experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 153
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    LOL! I didn't even have to look at the byline to know who wrote this! The summary on the main page says it all: "The new iPhone is the greatest invention since the wheel, curing cancer, improving the user's appearance, and ascending into Heaven all that believe in it.”
    So the only article you would consider to be unbiased is one that trashes Apple?
    jony0StrangeDaysnetmagebb-15pscooter63
  • Reply 66 of 153
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don’t want sound like I’m trolling or anything, I’m picking up a new iPhone X on Saturday.

But this reads a bit like a fan boy review. IMO reviewers should be a lot more critical of this phone. I’m in the getting one regardless crowd, but it’s pretty obvious to anyone the X is quite underwhelming. These snapchat features are an embarrassment, that graphic for Apple Pay approval? Wow! Awful. And where is the stand out feature? The notch?

I don’t know / it just feels like a treading water phone to me really. 
    Anyone that starts a post out with : I don't want to sound like I'm trolling" means.. you are trolling. Who in their right mind would buy a phone that they clearly dislike. Which is the exact impression you meant to give with your post here.  You are the same person that said " i just downloaded it. it is actually pretty snappy and clean looking on iOS. And lets be serious, a Windows PC is much better than a MacBook, Windows 10 is solid." When talking about windows shitty edge browser. 

This same edge browser?? 
    https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-presenter-installs-chrome-ditches-edge/ ...on IOS or a windows machine it's trash let's be clear here..

Honestly I don't care what products you like, but posting on an apple centric site all tongue in cheek makes you look like a lot like a troll, and kind of a dick. So you dislike the phone so much, but can't help but buy one so you can get the attention you so desperately are looking for? Or are you just full of shit, and post this type of BS for fun? I am actually curious..
    jony0anantksundarampatchythepiratenetmageStrangeDaysbb-15pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 153
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    fallenjt said:
    bb-15 said:
    ben20 said:
    The triplets kids just hacked Face ID, see the video at WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-x-how-we-tested-and-tricked-faceid-1509465766
    The WSJ video was the first one which tried to be a bit more systematic but even then, there were some mistakes. 
    - Did not unlock the iPhone X; putting on a fake mustache, picture on cardboard or on another phone. A latex duplicate mask of a person (put on someone else with eye holes). A fraternal twin test. 
    - The triplet young boy test was better than what I've seen before because the 1st triplet who registered the phone was out of the frame of the video. Better. 
    But, there were two triplets together in front of the iPhone X when it unlocked. 
    Which triplet unlocked the phone? Did one triplet's face fail and another one was successful? Unknown. 
    - The triplet test showed that Face ID could be fooled but the WSJ test was done in a sloppy way.  
    Seriously, who gives the fuck about twin, triplet or quadruplet test craps. Apple said it's not intended for family identical xxxplet.
    Those whose mission it is to trash Face ID by any means necessary, to spread FUD and whisper in people’s ears, “Don’t buy it. It doesn’t work.” That’s who.
    jony0anantksundaramnetmagebb-15pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 153
    ben20 said:
    The triplets kids just hacked Face ID, see the video at WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-x-how-we-tested-and-tricked-faceid-1509465766
    Idea! Don’t give a >$1K device to 8 year olds. Problem solved! 
    edited October 2017 jony0adonissmuwilliamlondonbb-15pscooter63
  • Reply 69 of 153
    lkrupp said:
    LOL! I didn't even have to look at the byline to know who wrote this! The summary on the main page says it all: "The new iPhone is the greatest invention since the wheel, curing cancer, improving the user's appearance, and ascending into Heaven all that believe in it.”
    So the only article you would consider to be unbiased is one that trashes Apple?
    Oh, of course that's what it means, because as we all know, there's nothing in between fawning fanboyism and trashing. Anything that isn't one must be the other.

(Walks away rolling eyes)
    Solinetmage
  • Reply 70 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    bb-15 said:
    ben20 said:
    The WSJ video was the first one which tried to be a bit more systematic but even then, there were some mistakes. 
    - Did not unlock the iPhone X; putting on a fake mustache, picture on cardboard or on another phone. A latex duplicate mask of a person (put on someone else with eye holes). A fraternal twin test. 
    - The triplet young boy test was better than what I've seen before because the 1st triplet who registered the phone was out of the frame of the video. Better. 
    But, there were two triplets together in front of the iPhone X when it unlocked. 
    Which triplet unlocked the phone? Did one triplet's face fail and another one was successful? Unknown. 
    - The triplet test showed that Face ID could be fooled but the WSJ test was done in a sloppy way.  
    Seriously, who gives the fuck about twin, triplet or quadruplet test craps. Apple said it's not intended for family identical xxxplet.
    Those whose mission it is to trash Face ID by any means necessary, to spread FUD and whisper in people’s ears, “Don’t buy it. It doesn’t work.” That’s who.
    I can see others forum members writing something like that, but I'm surprised you're saying that testing the boundaries of the most advanced tech feature on the most advance smartphone is all about trashing the technology and spreading FUD. Most results have been highly favorable about Face ID.
  • Reply 71 of 153
    If you still want to be critical you may want to see its compromises: the notch
    Compromise vs. what? Apple only had two choices with the Face ID hardware being included on the front of the phone: a full bar across the top or the notch. The former doesn't allow any additional screen space and the latter does. Can you really argue that not providing additional screen space would represent a lack of compromise? Makes more sense to say that the notch is the lack of compromise.
    The window managers on desktop operating systems are able to create windows in many fancy shapes, yet we have to see a window with ear shaped corners. The brain seeks for simplicity, the simpler it is, the easier to get it (and the most glucose-effective). Anyway, if Apple came with that shape, this is rather to communicate us a message rather than to provide additional screen space. They could make it flush left-right, resulting in a screen-wide bezel, with a bottom counterpart acting as a "function area" as Kuo divinated a few months ago. But they didn't do that, the reason not being differentiation from other smartphones but rather to reveal their efforts to begin to remove that top bezel by reducing it first. This is a reduced bezel, Apple doesn't like bezels at all and it strives to remove those completely. That is how I bind the notch to Apple's well known design perfectionism. And since the information displayed in those "ears" provides visual continuity through the sensor area making it unnoticeable, it is not a deal breaker. The notch is much less visible in real time usage than it is emphasized in promo material.
    I wonder about all this complaining about the notch. The notch is only apparent if you have a screen shot that runs top to bottom. If you would rather have a black bar across the top, can't you just use a screen shot that has a black band across the top? fwiw, I saw an iPhone X last weekend, and the top of the screen shot was black so you could only see the notch if you were looking hard.
    bb-15
  • Reply 72 of 153
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    mubaili said:
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    Gruber did get a review unit. He stated that he's only had less than 24 hours with it so he can't post his own detailed review at this time. He also noted that many longtime reviewers were only given a day to use the device before the embargo was lifted.
  • Reply 73 of 153
    elehcdn said:
    If you still want to be critical you may want to see its compromises: the notch
    Compromise vs. what? Apple only had two choices with the Face ID hardware being included on the front of the phone: a full bar across the top or the notch. The former doesn't allow any additional screen space and the latter does. Can you really argue that not providing additional screen space would represent a lack of compromise? Makes more sense to say that the notch is the lack of compromise.
    The window managers on desktop operating systems are able to create windows in many fancy shapes, yet we have to see a window with ear shaped corners. The brain seeks for simplicity, the simpler it is, the easier to get it (and the most glucose-effective). Anyway, if Apple came with that shape, this is rather to communicate us a message rather than to provide additional screen space. They could make it flush left-right, resulting in a screen-wide bezel, with a bottom counterpart acting as a "function area" as Kuo divinated a few months ago. But they didn't do that, the reason not being differentiation from other smartphones but rather to reveal their efforts to begin to remove that top bezel by reducing it first. This is a reduced bezel, Apple doesn't like bezels at all and it strives to remove those completely. That is how I bind the notch to Apple's well known design perfectionism. And since the information displayed in those "ears" provides visual continuity through the sensor area making it unnoticeable, it is not a deal breaker. The notch is much less visible in real time usage than it is emphasized in promo material.
    I wonder about all this complaining about the notch. The notch is only apparent if you have a screen shot that runs top to bottom. If you would rather have a black bar across the top, can't you just use a screen shot that has a black band across the top? fwiw, I saw an iPhone X last weekend, and the top of the screen shot was black so you could only see the notch if you were looking hard.
    The notch is the new glass half empty/full scenario. Instead of saying "the notch is ugly and encroaches into my display" they should be looking at it as "not having the Status Bar take up the main part of Display and having no 'forehead' or 'chin' gives me a lot more usable area."
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 153
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    I know that twins fingerprints aren't identical, but they are close enough that you would have to wonder how touch ID stands up to the same tests. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3338710/
  • Reply 75 of 153
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    boeyc15 said:
    Wow Paul Thurrott is pissing all over FaceID. ...

PT is a Microsoft guy.

Thurott showed up on several Apple-related sites back when he was first getting started. His attempts were not well received at the time.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 76 of 153
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    lkrupp said:
    That's how you know someone is smart; they gripe about stuff.
  • Reply 77 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    cpsro said:
    mubaili said:
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I'm sure Apple is pleased that the number one feature highlighted by Steven Levy--apparently the company's current best friend--was a poop animoji.
    I guess this generation of kids will spend their money for talking pooh (and then whine about why they can't afford college) but I'm going to have to wait for a better reason to buy this phone now.

But Niley Patel at theVerge says the screen is beautiful so its going to kick the Google Pixel 2/2XL's butt.   This definitely leaves me on the fence.   I would have love a smaller notch with TouchID on the back.  Not sure if FaceID really adds anything other than more cost for the new sensors.
  • Reply 78 of 153
    lkrupp said:
    Oh, of course that's what it means, because as we all know, there's nothing in between fawning fanboyism and trashing. Anything that isn't one must be the other.

(Walks away rolling eyes)
    Keep walking...
    StrangeDaysbb-15
  • Reply 79 of 153
    Soli said:
    mubaili said:
    mubaili said:

Gruber did get a review unit. He stated that he's only had less than 24 hours with it so he can't post his own detailed review at this time. He also noted that many longtime reviewers were only given a day to use the device before the embargo was lifted.
    Oh boo hoo.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 80 of 153
    elehcdn said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    I know that twins fingerprints aren't identical, but they are close enough that you would have to wonder how touch ID stands up to the same tests. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3338710/
    Touch ID has more than enough points to be very secure with fingerprints of genetically similar people because while dermatoglyphs (the basic size, shape, and spacing of ridges) are heavily influenced by genetic factors, the likelihood of being so exact that they can trick a sensor that is using multiple points to create an algorithmic comparison are extremely low.