Woolworths Australia adds rewards card to Apple Wallet app

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Australian grocer Woolworths this month became the first retailer in the country to link its rewards card with Apple Wallet, allowing customers to load and redeem points and discounts via the digital wallet system.

Like other Apple Wallet integrations, Woolworths rewards members can open the Wallet app and scan their physical card or visit a dedicated webpage, login and tap "Add to Apple Wallet." Users' cards are then provisioned for use at checkout, where customers can earn points or used gained rewards.

AppleInsider received word of the Woolworths reward card activation earlier this month, though the rollout appeared to be an early pilot. The integration is now being publicized on Woolworths' website, as well as Apple's own Apple Pay webpage for the Australian market.

Woolworths reward cards support location-based activation, automatic updates and point management functions. For example, users need only tap their iPhone to a POS terminal while holding Touch ID to access the digital card.

According to The Australian Financial Review, which reported on the reward card integration last month, Woolworths owns the largest loyalty program in the country, with some 10 million members. That volume is expected to drive adoption of Apple's Wallet feature.

The report suggests Woolworths could expand its partnership with Apple to incorporate branded credit cards for Apple Pay, further extending the fledgling payment solution's international reach.

To promote its new partnership with Apple, Woolworths is offering registered rewards program members an extra 500 points for adding their card to Apple Wallet and spending $0.05 or more in one transaction. The offer ends on Nov. 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I didn’t know Woolworths was still around. 
    SendMcjak
  • Reply 2 of 10
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Rayz2016 said:

No kidding, eh? It was the Walmart of the 80's.

SendMcjak
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    I have an IGA grocery store in my hometown in Maine.  The only other time I've ever seen another IGA was when I was in Cairns, Australia ... blew my mind.  Austrailia is a crazy place.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Rayz2016 said:

No kidding, eh? It was the Walmart of the 80's.

The 80's? It's most of the 20th Century.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    SendMcjak said:
    I have an IGA grocery store in my hometown in Maine.  The only other time I've ever seen another IGA was when I was in Cairns, Australia ... blew my mind.  Austrailia is a crazy place.
    I was surprised seeing a Costco last time I was in Melbourne. I didn't realize there were Costco's outside of North America. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    It’s not the same Woolworths. Not related. 
    anomelolliver
  • Reply 7 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    djsherly said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    It’s not the same Woolworths. Not related. 

Not the same Woolworths as in North America or in the UK, but a local chain. Similarly Target and K-Mart are local chains, and not connected to their namesakes in the US.

Costco, on the other hand, is the same company, and they've expanded to Australia (and some other countries, I believe).

williamlondonjony0lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SendMcjak said:
    Heaps of IGA’s in smaller towns here that Woolworths and Coles snub as too small.

i believe it means Independent Grocers of Australia (America?)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    SendMcjak said:
    Heaps of IGA’s in smaller towns here that Woolworths and Coles snub as too small.

You're correct about what it stands for in Australia. I presume the American one is similar.

I think Coles and Woolworths let IGA operate to avoid problems with the ACCC and duopoly allegations.

[EDIT] Apparently it stands for Independent Grocers Alliance and only in Australia is the name localised.

edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    anome said:
    SendMcjak said:

You're correct about what it stands for in Australia. I presume the American one is similar.

I think Coles and Woolworths let IGA operate to avoid problems with the ACCC and duopoly allegations.

[EDIT] Apparently it stands for Independent Grocers Alliance and only in Australia is the name localised.

I'm finding myself avoiding Woolworths and Coles fuel stations. They are far dearer than the other even after their discounts for being a "loyal shopper".