GarageBand 2.3 for iOS adds classic drum sequencer, Taiko drums, iPhone X Super Retina sup...

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Apple has deployed an update for the iOS version of GarageBand, with the new version taking advantage of the Super Retina display on the iPhone X, as well as adding a new sound library and a "classic" beat sequencer.

Wednesday's update introduces a new GarageBand Sound Library, allowing users to download an assortment of free sound packs featuring new instruments and loops. A new Beat Sequencer instrument has been added that has been inspired by classic electronic drum machines.

The app also features new Asian Touch Instruments and updates to Drummer, including six additional players. Additions include traditional Japanese Koto and Taiko Drums, and Chinese Guzheng.

Three new drummers play percussion in Pop, Songwriter and Latin styles, including instruments like bongos, cajon, woodblock and the cowbell. The app also now includes three new acoustic kit drummers specializing in Rock and Alternative beats.

GarageBand 2.3 for iOS is a 1.77GB download with no saved tracks or added loops or libraries, and is a free download on the App Store. It is compatible with devices running iOS 11, including iPhone 5s and later, iPad mini 2 and later and iPod Touch sixth generation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Apple is really on a bit of a software roll lately. I’m glad to see it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Just downloaded. A nice update. Lots of new sounds and instruments. Will be digging in. It really has reached the point where I could do the bulk of everyday composing with this app and jump over to Logic Pro X when needed to go further.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Beat Sequencer is too cool for school.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Zero support of prior iOS versions...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Nice update, but absolute showstopper of an error with this latest update...

Had hundreds of songs organized into individual folders in iOS GarageBand and now all of these loaded folders (including numerous songs that were still in process) have disappeared, evidently including all content. I really don't know what to do now...

If you rely on GarageBand for iOS as your main audio and composition tool AND have lots of your songs stored in the app, consider NOT UPDATING or you may risk massive data loss. I wrote to Apple about this and hope to see if there's a solution, which I'll post here.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 6 of 9

Had hundreds of songs organized into individual folders in iOS GarageBand and now all of these loaded folders (including numerous songs that were still in process) have disappeared, evidently including all content. I really don't know what to do now...

If you rely on GarageBand for iOS as your main audio and composition tool AND have lots of your songs stored in the app, consider NOT UPDATING or you may risk massive data loss. I wrote to Apple about this and hope to see if there's a solution, which I'll post here.
    Have you checked to see if they are in the files app?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MisterKit said:

I do have a little updated information.

Looks like many of my individual song files were mysteriously ejected from their old folders that was using inside GarageBand and placed into a brand new folder called “GarageBand File Transfer” (a folder I did not create, Incidentally).

Now... the File system inside of GarageBand is an utter mess, plus the music files seem to be multiplying. I’m finding duplicates where there should be no duplicates. Someone at Apple has insanely messed up parts of GB bad... real bad.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    MisterKit said:

I do have a little updated information.

Looks like many of my individual song files were mysteriously ejected from their old folders that was using inside GarageBand and placed into a brand new folder called “GarageBand File Transfer” (a folder I did not create, Incidentally).

Now... the File system inside of GarageBand is an utter mess, plus the music files seem to be multiplying. I’m finding duplicates where there should be no duplicates. Someone at Apple has insanely messed up parts of GB bad... real bad.
    That folder is explained when you tap on "Learn more" on the welcome splash screen: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208194
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Despite the Files screwup (and I'm going to have to spend a full day reorganizing files now) the new GarageBand features something I've been asking from them for years: The percussion section is outstanding now and great for Latin, Pacific-Islander, Japanese and Chinese music. Outstanding new options for musicians.
    MisterKit