iPhone X tech was originally meant to show up in 2018, Apple's Riccio says

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple was originally expecting to ship the technologies in the iPhone X in 2018, hardware engineering head Dan Riccio revealed in an interview published this week.

The product's upcoming Nov. 3 launch was managed "with a lot of hard work, talent, grit, and determination," Riccio explained to Mashable. The executive admitted however that the desire to accelerate changes like an edge-to-edge screen left little time for alternatives if something didn't work out.

The company went "all in" when it decided to swap a home button and Touch ID for Face ID, Riccio noted, dismissing rumors that the iPhone X's exclusive use of Face ID was because it couldn't make an embedded touch sensor work.

"We spent no time looking at [putting] fingerprints on the back or through the glass or on the side," he remarked, adding that while schedules prevented that anyway, Apple executives also believed in the quality of Face ID.

"Quite frankly, this program was on such a fast track to be offered [and] enabled this year. We had to lock [the design] very, very early. We actually locked the design, to let you know, in November. We had to lock it early."

The decision to implement a neural engine in the phone's A11 Bionic processor reportedly traces back to 2014, when the earliest work on the chip began. The company didn't know what it would be used for, Riccio said, but realized the decision had to be made ahead of time.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller sugested that the idea of an edge-to-edge display dates back to the first-generation iPhone.

"We've had a dream since Day One to make it all screen, edge to edge," he claimed.

The OLED screen on the iPhone X is being produced by Samsung, Apple confirmed, but a custom component with additional software work to deal with issues like color accuracy. The company also noted that the phone's attention detection system simply checks whether anyone is looking, rather than automatically scanning for the registered Face ID user. Attention scans take place roughly every 30 seconds, and are used to decide whether or not to keep the screen on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I could be missing something here but how did you conclude that it was meant to show up in 2018?
    robjnasdasd
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Mr_Dog said:
    I could be missing something here but how did you conclude that it was meant to show up in 2018?
    Following the link to the referenced article answers your question quickly:
    As Riccio described it, Apple had “the line of sight” for a 2018 iPhone X launch, “but with a lot of hard work, talent, grit, and determination we were able to deliver them this year,” he told Mashable.

jbdragonJFC_PA[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 30
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Mr_Dog said:
    “Accelerate”? It showing up now on an “accelerated”
    schedule only leaves 2018, or later, as the original  target before things were sped up. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Imagine what was left out for 2018? The new revolution has just begun...
    magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 30
    "'We've had a dream since Day One to make it all screen, edge to edge,' he claimed."

Course, Schiller also dreamed of it having a physical keyboard ...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Small bezel design should have been implemented last year with the iPhone 7.  AMOLED is a great technology, but if Apple would have developed a redesigned iPhone with a modern design based on LCD display tech I think it would have gone over more successfully than continuing on with the huge top and bottom bezels of the iPhone 6.

My takeaway from this is Apple was forced to bring their expected tech forward a year because they didn't have anything interesting in the pipeline for this year.  Their plan was for the iPhone 7s to be the flagship and it simply wasn't standing up design wise with what was coming out of other manufacturers.  The Galaxy S series, Huawei Mate, Essential Phone, LG G6, Pixel 2 XL, etc. were miles ahead of Apple's 2014 design that debuted with the iPhone 6.  Apple had to do something to stem the continued slump in sales of their bread-and-butter product, so they ratcheted the version number up a full notch to 8 to give the impression of a new phone and threw in the luxury priced X as well for those that were waiting for a new design.
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 7 of 30
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    but i was told by analysts through their channel checks that Apple was still undecided in August 2017? 
    edited November 2017 ClarityToSeepscooter63lolliverradarthekatbrucemc
  • Reply 8 of 30
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    NY1822 said:
    but i was told by analysts through their channel checks that Apple was still undecided in August 2017? 
    Nope.
    Impossible.

In order to manufacture at this scale you must have the design locked down many months before. In this case 11-12 months.

Only very minor changes can be made late or in some situations decisions to leave a part out if it does not effect other parts.

Really, the media and analysts were foolish to give those reports any credence. They were not based on any facts or current information.

edited November 2017 ClarityToSeemacxpressracerhomieradarthekatredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 30
    "We've had a dream since Day One to make it all screen, edge to edge," he claimed.
    I don't believe that. No way. That's just navigating with new insights you get along the way. With the iPhone 1, Apple recommended developers to make HTML apps, but when it saw native apps offered more they designed the App Store. They just executed really, really well. That's key.

• Reply 10 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    "'We've had a dream since Day One to make it all screen, edge to edge,' he claimed."

Course, Schiller also dreamed of it having a physical keyboard ...
    Except that he said that’s untrue.
    ClarityToSeeking editor the gratemagman1979lolliverpatchythepirateradarthekatredgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Unless proven otherwise, I have to assume they are continually mocking up and building advanced iPhone/iOS models for at least 4-5 years out in advance of production.
    radarthekatredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 30
    78Bandit said:
    Small bezel design should have been implemented last year with the iPhone 7.  AMOLED is a great technology, but if Apple would have developed a redesigned iPhone with a modern design based on LCD display tech I think it would have gone over more successfully than continuing on with the huge top and bottom bezels of the iPhone 6.

My takeaway from this is Apple was forced to bring their expected tech forward a year because they didn't have anything interesting in the pipeline for this year.  Their plan was for the iPhone 7s to be the flagship and it simply wasn't standing up design wise with what was coming out of other manufacturers.  The Galaxy S series, Huawei Mate, Essential Phone, LG G6, Pixel 2 XL, etc. were miles ahead of Apple's 2014 design that debuted with the iPhone 6.  Apple had to do something to stem the continued slump in sales of their bread-and-butter product, so they ratcheted the version number up a full notch to 8 to give the impression of a new phone and threw in the luxury priced X as well for those that were waiting for a new design.
    borscht...
    JFC_PApscooter63magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    78Bandit said:

Jesus what nonsense. 

1) Ah yes, the “But Apple should have done this years ago!” trope. Uh huh. Cool, buddy. 

2) The X design was locked in a year ago, before those devices you mentioned ever hit the market, so no, they didn’t recently change course to compete with them. 

But nice attempt at pushing the Apple Failure Narrative (tm). 
    edited November 2017 JFC_PAleavingthebiggpscooter63Tuuborracerhomiemagman1979lolliveranomesmiffy31redgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    78Bandit said:

That could be the case. The iPhone design would have taken a hit if it had to face the Christmas season without the X against the models you mentioned.

I personally don't have any issues with bezels but in such a fast moving market, if your competitors begin pushing some design trait and it gets the thumbs up from consumers, you could find yourself looking old hat, irrespective of what's on the inside.

racerhomiewlym
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Now that the X is out, guaranteed that the so called advanced android was caught flat footed. Next year most of them will have face id as well...much like the touch id followed. Bu but but they hace face detections already ahead of apple, so advanced they can even detect pictures....take that apple...;-))
    Huwiae claimed they surpassed Apple already. By copying yes they sure did that... :-))
    racerhomieredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    It's pretty naive to think that Apple weren't hoping (and likely still hoping) to make the display take up the whole screen - this is an ambition that was seemingly obvious to everyone even before the iPhone was created. A time when full screen iPod concept images like this one were prevalent in discussion boards. To suggest that it was a new idea that only came about from the iPhone (or now with FaceID) is not a reasonable, or supported assumption.

Apple are certainly looking to move cameras away from a visible position: Rewind to when AppleInsider published information relating to Apple's "camera hidden behind display" patent. Even though that was in 2009, it was still yet another take on a similar idea from Apple published in 2004.

pscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 30
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Now that the X is out, guaranteed that the so called advanced android was caught flat footed. Next year most of them will have face id as well...much like the touch id followed. Bu but but they hace face detections already ahead of apple, so advanced they can even detect pictures....take that apple...;-))
    Huwiae claimed they surpassed Apple already. By copying yes they sure did that... :-))
    Wrong. Motorola had their version of TouchID years ago. Samsung had their version of FaceID a year ago. Apple haven't caught up to Samsung's eye-tracking feature yet.

I'm being facetious. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 30
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    Unless proven otherwise, I have to assume they are continually mocking up and building advanced iPhone/iOS models for at least 4-5 years out in advance of production.
    In one way, you can say the advanced iphones
    are 10-12 years in the making in the form of an idea like a “bezel-less all glass iphone”.  
    In a practical sense, any advanced iphone can only be worked 2 to 3 years in advance. This is because of the fact that anything imagined beyond this mentioned timeframe is banking on yet undeveloped and immature technologies which may not be realized in time or factoring in current technologies that can go outdated by the time of the release. Not to mention the difficulty of running and controlling multiple parallel programs. The longer the development cycle, more parallel programs Apple would have to run, considering it is absolutely normal to release new iPhone models each and every year. 
    edited November 2017 racerhomie
  • Reply 19 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    GG1 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Wrong. Motorola had their version of TouchID years ago. Samsung had their version of FaceID a year ago. Apple haven't caught up to Samsung's eye-tracking feature yet.

I'm being facetious. ;)
    I know you are being facetious :) but some might take it seriously (oh the horror to compare Samsung's FaceID with Apple's tech - even worse, Motorola's TouchID).

Apple never had any intentions to be the first introducing new technology (which is exactly most Android makers do), they'd rather keep it in the lab as long as possible to ensure it works flawlessly when they release it. The problem with that it would be tainted with half-baked gimmicky efforts from competitors.
    lolliverradarthekatredgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    78Bandit said:

That could be the case. The iPhone design would have taken a hit if it had to face the Christmas season without the X against the models you mentioned.

I personally don't have any issues with bezels but in such a fast moving market, if your competitors begin pushing some design trait and it gets the thumbs up from consumers, you could find yourself looking old hat, irrespective of what's on the inside.

Apple is going to absorb $30B of Christmas spending that is going to come out of competitors pockets, and next year, any "iPhone Killer" is going to have to have face recognition, because of "thumbs up from consumers".

Sounds like Apple made this happen, not competitors. 

lolliverradarthekatredgeminipa