iPhone X tech was originally meant to show up in 2018, Apple's Riccio says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    78Bandit said:
    Small bezel design should have been implemented last year with the iPhone 7.  AMOLED is a great technology, but if Apple would have developed a redesigned iPhone with a modern design based on LCD display tech I think it would have gone over more successfully than continuing on with the huge top and bottom bezels of the iPhone 6.

My takeaway from this is Apple was forced to bring their expected tech forward a year because they didn't have anything interesting in the pipeline for this year.  Their plan was for the iPhone 7s to be the flagship and it simply wasn't standing up design wise with what was coming out of other manufacturers.  The Galaxy S series, Huawei Mate, Essential Phone, LG G6, Pixel 2 XL, etc. were miles ahead of Apple's 2014 design that debuted with the iPhone 6.  Apple had to do something to stem the continued slump in sales of their bread-and-butter product, so they ratcheted the version number up a full notch to 8 to give the impression of a new phone and threw in the luxury priced X as well for those that were waiting for a new design.
    Slump? First calendar quarter of this year iPhone 7 and 7Plus were the #1 and #2 selling smartphones in the world? 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/05/10/apples-iphone-7-was-worlds-best-selling-smartphone-in-first-quarter-of-2017

Seemed like sales were down after the iPhone 6 super cycle, but sluggish? Compared to what exactly ? Please give some back up? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    78Bandit said:
    Small bezel design should have been implemented last year with the iPhone 7.  AMOLED is a great technology, but if Apple would have developed a redesigned iPhone with a modern design based on LCD display tech I think it would have gone over more successfully than continuing on with the huge top and bottom bezels of the iPhone 6.

My takeaway from this is Apple was forced to bring their expected tech forward a year because they didn't have anything interesting in the pipeline for this year.  Their plan was for the iPhone 7s to be the flagship and it simply wasn't standing up design wise with what was coming out of other manufacturers.  The Galaxy S series, Huawei Mate, Essential Phone, LG G6, Pixel 2 XL, etc. were miles ahead of Apple's 2014 design that debuted with the iPhone 6.  Apple had to do something to stem the continued slump in sales of their bread-and-butter product, so they ratcheted the version number up a full notch to 8 to give the impression of a new phone and threw in the luxury priced X as well for those that were waiting for a new design.
    The design introduced with the iPhone 6 series didn’t need to stand up, designwise, to the flagship Android handsets you mentioned.  Apple continued to own the premium handset market regardless, due to other factors that are well known (iOS, the Apple ecosystem, performance, privacy protection, security, the ability to update iPhones several years to newer versions of iOS, and resale value come to mind).

iPhone sales are not slumping.  There was simply an outsized year when the 6/6+ were introduced.  But if you chart sales, you’ll see that they have been on an upward trend since the beginning.  A one-year spike does not negate a trend line.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

"We've had a dream since Day One to make it all screen, edge to edge," he claimed.
    I don't believe that. No way. That's just navigating with new insights you get along the way. With the iPhone 1, Apple recommended developers to make HTML apps, but when it saw native apps offered more they designed the App Store. They just executed really, really well. That's key.

I think Apple made a video, a look at the future, years before the iPhone came out.  And in it there was imagined an iPad-like device, which folded.  So if you’re going to refute Apple’s claim they dreamed an edge to edge screen from the start, I hope you’ll later give them credit for envisioning a foldable display.  As I’m sure Samsung will get the credit when they come out with a half-baked implementation in order to claim they were first.  

Now back to an edge to edge display.  How hard is that to imagine, really?  Seems obvious to me, and there have been several envisionings of such back through the technology era.  Even transparent devices have long been envisioned.  YouTube has plenty of concept videos on all three ideas.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Now that the X is out, guaranteed that the so called advanced android was caught flat footed. Next year most of them will have face id as well...much like the touch id followed. Bu but but they hace face detections already ahead of apple, so advanced they can even detect pictures....take that apple...;-))
    Huwiae claimed they surpassed Apple already. By copying yes they sure did that... :-))
    Samsung will have kitchen sink ID, actually.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    78Bandit said:

That could be the case. The iPhone design would have taken a hit if it had to face the Christmas season without the X against the models you mentioned.

I personally don't have any issues with bezels but in such a fast moving market, if your competitors begin pushing some design trait and it gets the thumbs up from consumers, you could find yourself looking old hat, irrespective of what's on the inside.

Apple is going to absorb $30B of Christmas spending that is going to come out of competitors pockets, and next year, any "iPhone Killer" is going to have to have face recognition, because of "thumbs up from consumers".

Sounds like Apple made this happen, not competitors. 

Well you don't know that but the comment was about what could have happened if the X hadn't been released this year. Perhaps you didn't see that point.

'Face recognition' has been on the Honor Magic (and others) for nearly a year now so Apple didn't make this happen. The difference is that it isn't used to unlock the phone.

The hardware Apple uses for FaceID is not limited to Apple and others can pick up on it if they see fit or use it for different features. Many are already using some of the components.

If someone proposed FaceID  to me in 2017 I would have rejected it if it were to have a negative impact of the phone's price, repair costs and overall use wasn't a large jump over current biometric technologies. This article states that Apple's original plan wasn't to release the X this year. 

The OP speculated that the phone was released now to increase Apple's competitive edge. It makes sense as there was no compelling reason to alter the release schedule. 

On top of that, it is arriving in relatively limited quantities so its impact on Christmas sales will be limited. The decision to go into Apple's biggest quarter with its broadest model/price spread ever, will have far more impact than the iPhone X alone.

Perhaps the wisest option for consumers would be to wait for the second version of iPhone X when things like, repair costs and AppleCare and the overall price are brought down. Unless money isn't that much of an issue.

• Reply 26 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    78Bandit said:

The design introduced with the iPhone 6 series didn’t need to stand up, designwise, to the flagship Android handsets you mentioned.  Apple continued to own the premium handset market regardless, due to other factors that are well known (iOS, the Apple ecosystem, performance, privacy protection, security, the ability to update iPhones several years to newer versions of iOS, and resale value come to mind).

iPhone sales are not slumping.  There was simply an outsized year when the 6/6+ were introduced.  But if you chart sales, you’ll see that they have been on an upward trend since the beginning.  A one-year spike does not negate a trend line.  
    But sales were basically flat (more than an upward 'trend') in a segment that itself was contracting while other segments were growing. That, in spite of "iOS, the Apple ecosystem, performance, privacy protection, security, the ability to update iPhones".

And Apple was seeing competitors claw profits away in the premium segment. At last estimates, down from over 90% to 79% in just a year.

To say that iPhone sales are growing (now, in the present and if true) probably has more to do with the fact that it has phones in the other segments now and possibly the so called supercycle. A correct decision IMO but that takes nothing away from the OP's point.

• Reply 27 of 30
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Shame. Because the iPhone X has stolen the thunder of iPhone 8.

The iPhone 8, which is actually an iPhone 7s, is now the most underrated iPhone.

>:x
  • Reply 28 of 30
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mr o said:

The iPhone 8, which is actually an iPhone 7s, is now the most underrated iPhone.

So?

And, over the course of the full FY2018, I would say more iPhone 8's will be sold than iPhone X.  Why?  Price and familiarity.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    brucemc said:
    mr o said:

So?

And, over the course of the full FY2018, I would say more iPhone 8's will be sold than iPhone X.  Why?  Price and familiarity.
    It is hard to un-see the Future. The 8 looks familiar, yet antiquated.

• Reply 30 of 30
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    78Bandit said:

Except that per their earnings guidance, Apple broke all previous records with the iPhone 8, despite the "anemic adoption" and "masses waiting for iPhone X".  That being said, I'll bet my nonexistent reputation that iPhone X sales this quarter annihilate all previous records, including that of the iPhone 8 over the equivalent time, despite the "prohibitive costs that not even the Apple loyalists are willing to pay."