Apple releases watchOS 4.1 with support for LTE music streaming on Apple Watch Series 3 wi...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Delivering a feature that has been showcased in advertisements for the Apple Watch Series 3 since it launched in September, Apple on Tuesday released watchOS 4.1, giving users the ability to stream Apple Music and an iCloud Music Library without a phone near by.

watchOS 4.1 also includes a redesigned Music app, and a new Radio app for streaming Beats 1 and other Apple Music radio stations.

Music streaming on watchOS 4.1 works with Apple Music, as well as the iTunes Match service. It also allows users to access songs from their iCloud Music Library, which includes iTunes Store purchases.

Beats 1 streaming is available for free, while Apple Music radio stations require a subscription to the service.

The watchOS 4.1 update has been available in a beta form for developers since late September. Its release on Tuesday delivers on Apple's promise to add LTE music streaming to the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular in the month of October.

AppleInsider reviewed the Apple Watch Series 3 soon after it launched in September, and found it to be an excellent device, even before Apple Music and iCloud Music Library streaming were made available. However, the device is not meant to be entirely independent of an iPhone, as evidenced by its relatively short battery life when using its own LTE radio.

Tuesday's update also marks the launch of new GymKit integration, though compatible workout equipment is required for the feature to work. Once gyms begin updating their devices with GymKit support, users will be able to sync more accurate health and workout data from connected devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Does this version remove the Red Dot?
    rhinotuffStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 8
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Still no update for me...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    riverko said:
    Still no update for me...
    My update is available as of 7:30am on 11/1/17
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Has anyone heard of any plans to properly allow audiobook and podcast play?  I haven't seen anything, but there's a reason my wife calls me Captain Oblivious.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I checked and had the update to 4.1 last night and I downloaded then installed it overnight when my watch was on the charger.  this morning my alarm didn't go off, is that typical for watchOS?  I've got the A3 + LTE.   I know when my iOS updates on my phone overnight my alarm always works in the morning so I thought nothing of it.  Guess I'll be more diligent in the future if this is the standard happening when updating overnight.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Has anyone heard of any plans to properly allow audiobook and podcast play?  I haven't seen anything, but there's a reason my wife calls me Captain Oblivious.
    Seems like there is less interest in handling features that don't bring monthly subscription fees.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Radio app seems to be Series 3 only, I’ve got a steel Series 2, no Radio app in the app “honeycomb”, also not listed in the Watch app on iPhone. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    trumptman said:
    Seems like there is less interest in handling features that don't bring monthly subscription fees.

Which I totally get, being the unabashed capitalist that I am, but audiobooks, at the very least, are available in the Store.  While not an ongoing fee (unless Apple decides to buy Audible), it's still revenue.

I completely understand that iBook audiobook purchasers are probably a significant minority of Apple Watch users, but how tough could it have been to create a version of iBooks that plays on the Watch?  Especially given that it was already half done with the Music app.