where did this one go to?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    At the old AI, Silicon Alley had been the precursor to General Discussion.

When General Discussion was created, SA got 'turned off' - meaning, it gets hidden from the front page. However, if you remembered the URL for it, you could still get in. It turned into an old-timer's lounge of sorts... So, when AI came back, I recreated SA as Silicon Alley Redux, hoping that the old-timers would again group there.

It was (back in the day) a nice place, free of the trolls and random crackheads that plague the public forums, back in the day.

However, in the new AI, where POST COUNTS are all that seem to matter the SAR turned into a total spam-a-rama. There was perhaps one or two worthwhile threads in the whole thing. Thus, by a vote of the mods and admins, we decided to turn it off.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    riight, sure buddy.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    It was worse at the old AI. Anyone remember threads with a thousand "d"s? A thousand posts in a day?
  • Reply 24 of 24
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]At the old AI, Silicon Alley had been the precursor to General Discussion.<hr></blockquote>

Not quite Jonathan. The five original forums at AI were:

Hardware

Software

General Discussion

Silicon Valley Discussion

Suggestions

Then I think came a seperation of Future/Current software and hardware. I think a Gaming Chat was soon added before that, or at that time:

Future Hardware

Current Hardware

Future Software

Current Software

General Discussion

Gaming Chat

Suggestions

Then came Tech support. Or maybe AppleOutsider, stolen from Mandricard's signature. Tech Support was changed to Genius Bar. And Gaming chat got fux0red and a new one called Gaming Chat II was started. We lost our great giant "halo" thread, and the gaming chat went downhill from there. Also, darken, a main contributer, seems to have vanished. Now we no longer have a gaming chat in the new fora.

SV and GD co-existed. SV was for "For Silicon Valley Discussion", i.e. company merges, tech business, etc. It was hard to define, and eventually got wiped in about May of '99. I thought it was gone for good until Mark emailed me about it. It's been a long held secret. Occasionally a newbie stumbles on it or we invite someone.

It was a part of AI that should live on. Few people abuse their post counts significantly anymore. EmAn does just fine in the regular forums with the one-liners.

[quote]It was worse at the old AI. Anyone remember threads with a thousand "d"s? A thousand posts in a day?<hr></blockquote>

Heh. I was wondering what the hell Eugene was up to there.

And if you think SV was spam, you should have seen gaming chat. Heh. I got about 50-60% of my post count there back in the day.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: radar1503 ]

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: radar1503 ]</p>