Giant lines forming at Apple stores internationally in advance of iPhone X sales

Posted:
in iPhone
Lines have already started to form at many Apple stores world-wide, with the Orchard Road store in Singapore and a pair of stores in Japan already having a massive queue of hundreds of people.

The Orchard Road store started seeing a line form on Wednesday afternoon, according to Channel News Asia. By the late afternoon and early evening, the line corrals were in place. Wristbands were being given to line participants, with people afforded an hour break at a time, before sacrificing their place in line.

More than one line participant said that they were planning on selling the iPhone X on the internet -- or would sell their spot in line if the price was right.

Queues began on Wednesday night at other locations as well. Twitter user Elise Hu reports that there is a line "a block down" from the Tokyo Ginza store.

Already a block down from the Tokyo Ginza Apple Store and the line for iphoneX is still going https://t.co/OJDIEbp2ZN

-- Elise Hu (@elisewho)

At the Shinsaibashi Apple Store in Osaka, the line extends two blocks, as reported by Kaylee Dayo.

MASSIVE lines at the Shinsaibashi Apple Store in Osaka! It's 10:30pm and the line goes TWO BLOCKS. Easily 200-300 people.#iPhoneX pic.twitter.com/KqQkXvmjeo

-- Kaylee (@kayleedayo)

The Sydney central Apple store had a large line on October 30, as spotted by Nick Parfene.

Apple Store queue continues to grow #iPhoneX pic.twitter.com/Rd8MaSzIXx

-- Nick Parfene (@nicktmro)

Dalton King also noted on Wednesday that there were a few fans in line already outside the Palo Alto, Calif. store.

True Apple fans wait in line for #iPhoneX @Apple #2DaysToGo pic.twitter.com/YV1Pr8dR2Q

-- Dalton King (@LVDalton22)

Spot checks of several Apple stores on the east coast of the U.S. note that lines have formed either on Thursday morning because of mall security restrictions, or on Wednesday evening in the case of stand-alone stores.

Apple announced that there would be a quantity of iPhone X units at retail stores for walk-in customers. It is unclear how many units will be at any given store. There were very few of the iPhone 7 Plus at retail for launch in 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Why are lines forming for the iPhone X?  I'm certain a few genius analysts had said, "No one will be paying $999 for an iPhone when you can get an equivalent flagship Android smartphone for almost half the price." "Also, consumers are scared of using Face ID because it's a relatively new technology and they're never going to buy an iPhone without Touch ID?" "Everyone hates that monstrous notch which is causing Steve Jobs to turn over in his grave." "No mere mortal can afford to pay that much money for a smartphone!" /s

Have consumers stopped using credit cards? Although analysts and big investors are quite worried about Apple's gloomy future, I'm sure every iPhone X in stock will be sold out by the end of the day. It's rather unlikely any flagship Android smartphone this year will sell out as quickly. In the end, an iPhone X is still an iPhone and will likely sell in the tens of millions of units and as fast as Foxconn can turn them out.
    edited November 2017 wlymcaliracerhomieunphocusradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    My version of a "line" will be sitting on my back porch with a glass of scotch waiting for brown santa to ring my doorbell. :smiley: 
    jbdragonSpamSandwichboltsfan17caliddawson100racerhomieradarthekatjony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    My version of a "line" will be sitting on my back porch with a glass of scotch waiting for brown santa to ring my doorbell. :smiley: 
    Ya, I'm not waiting in any lines!!! I'd rather wait a few months then stand in a line like that. Instead I'll order it online and get it shipped to me as Apple has been pushing people to do.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Boom! Forget about the line.

racerhomie
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Call me crazy, but something tells me people want this phone.
    anantksundaramGG1racerhomielolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    FedEx will be brining mine to my door on Friday. Although I do miss the old times of waiting in line for a new phone. It was fun getting to know other people in line.
    calianantksundaramradarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jdgaz said:
    FedEx will be brining mine to my door on Friday. Although I do miss the old times of waiting in line for a new phone. It was fun getting to know other people in line.
    Same here, but I when they to the Apple Store in Altamonte Springs, FL. to  purchase a Mophie wireless charging base, and there was no line yet, I am sure there will be by the end of the day.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Mine is in Loolvul awaiting a 5-hour plane ride to the SF Bay Area.
    kingofsomewherehotSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Mine is in Loolvul awaiting a 5-hour plane ride to the SF Bay Area.
    Mine is apparently still in pieces at the factory as my delivery date is still Nov. 17-24  :/

radarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Why are lines forming for the iPhone X?  I'm certain a few genius analysts had said, "No one will be paying $999 for an iPhone when you can get an equivalent flagship Android smartphone for almost half the price." "Also, consumers are scared of using Face ID because it's a relatively new technology and they're never going to buy an iPhone without Touch ID?" "Everyone hates that monstrous notch which is causing Steve Jobs to turn over in his grave." "No mere mortal can afford to pay that much money for a smartphone!" /s

Have consumers stopped using credit cards? Although analysts and big investors are quite worried about Apple's gloomy future, I'm sure every iPhone X in stock will be sold out by the end of the day. It's rather unlikely any flagship Android smartphone this year will sell out as quickly. In the end, an iPhone X is still an iPhone and will likely sell in the tens of millions of units and as fast as Foxconn can turn them out.
    What counts is how many they sell from revision to revision, not on the opening week or month. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 26
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member

It's cuz they're all just sheep buying whatever Apple's marketing tells them to buy, because Apple.  /s
    racerhomieradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    avon b7 said:
    What counts is how many they sell from revision to revision, not on the opening week or month. 
    Then Apple for the past ten years has had it where it counts:

Unit sales of the Apple iPhone worldwide from 2007 to 2016 (in millions)

Unit sales in millions
    racerhomiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jbdragon said:
    Ya, I'm not waiting in any lines!!! I'd rather wait a few months then stand in a line like that. Instead I'll order it online and get it shipped to me as Apple has been pushing people to do.
    Some of my greatest memories are waiting in line for product launches. It’s not your typical line like people assume. Very different from waiting in line at the MVD or waiting in the emergency room.

They were so hype, social and fun. Very nostalgic and the thought of them disappearing is depressing.

Anyways, imagine how big these lines would be if android didn’t steal the iPhone technology? When 1,300+ companies are producing knockoffs and people are too dumb to know the difference it hurts sales. 
    radarthekatiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    "brown Santa"...I'm dying
    racerhomiekingofsomewherehotSpamSandwichradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Wow. Get out of here!

(And there was some idiot posting in another thread about how Apple is the new Palm/Nokia/Blackberry ...)
    calilolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Wow. Get out of here!

(And there was some idiot posting in another thread about how Apple is the new Palm/Nokia/Blackberry ...)
    Lol, some people are so clueluess. I have never seen hundreds lining up for Palm/Nokia/ Blackberry around the world.

When new iPhone release, it is like international event.
    racerhomielolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    cali said:
    jbdragon said:
    Some of my greatest memories are waiting in line for product launches. It’s not your typical line like people assume. Very different from waiting in line at the MVD or waiting in the emergency room.

They were so hype, social and fun. Very nostalgic and the thought of them disappearing is depressing.

Anyways, imagine how big these lines would be if android didn’t steal the iPhone technology? When 1,300+ companies are producing knockoffs and people are too dumb to know the difference it hurts sales. 
    cali said:
    jbdragon said:

LOL  You need some better memories  :D
    You are right about the lines being fun.  People are usually pretty chill.  Besides the social part, they did refreshments and door prizes, too. 
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    chia said:
    avon b7 said:
    Then Apple for the past ten years has had it where it counts:

Unit sales of the Apple iPhone worldwide from 2007 to 2016 (in millions)

Unit sales in millions
    The past doesn't count for anything in this context.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    The only time I waited in line at an Apple store was when the iPhone4 came out.  We showed up at whatever crazy hour in the morning.  It was a truly fun experience meeting people from all walks of life.  As much fun as it was, I won't do that again.  Once was enough.

The iKnockoffs like Samsung and Google would love to have this kind of brand loyalty.  All they can do is insult Apple and it's customers, while introducing the same "features" they criticized in prior models - just half-baked. 

It's nice to see the lines are back again.  Won't stop the iHaters from trying to pass gas like it's fact.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cali said:
    jbdragon said:

cali said:
    jbdragon said:

LOL  You need some better memories  :D
    You are right about the lines being fun.  People are usually pretty chill.  Besides the social part, they did refreshments and door prizes, too. 
    Yeah. They are fun. The experience of being with people who share the same objective. The nerves of not knowing if you'll get what you want. The stories people tell. There's definitely that angle.