Apple says wearables up 75 percent year-over-year in Q4, Watch up 50 percent vs. Q3

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2017
Apple's wearables business -- including Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats products -- was up 75 percent year-over-year during the September quarter, helping to make it the size of a Fortune 400 company, CEO Tim Cook said during Thursday's results call.

As usual, the executive didn't break out exact figures during the call. Cook noted that Apple Watch sales were up 50 percent versus the June quarter however, and claimed that the product remains the world's best-selling wearable.

Apple's "other products" segment -- including not just wearables, but the Apple TV, iPod touch, and various accessories -- saw revenues grow 36 percent year-over-year to $3.231 billion. Versus Q3 2017, revenues were up 18 percent from $2.735 billion.

September saw the launch of the Apple Watch Series 3, the first model to offer LTE cellular for (limited) use without an iPhone. Apple is also selling cheaper GPS-only hardware, and the still less expensive Series 1.

The company didn't release any other major wearables in the September quarter apart from the Beats Studio3 Wireless. The availability of AirPods has been improving though, and indeed Apple is now quoting U.S. delivery times of just a few days.

In August, NPD research suggested that AirPods accounted for 85 percent of the fully-wireless headphone segment, and were partly responsible for growing the headphone market 22 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    It's just insane how Apple is literally womping the industry.

Apple corners the wearables industry in just a couple years whereas everyone else had literally the beginning-of-time to get their act together and accomplished nothing.

iHaters spreading crap about the Apple Watch are mysteriously silent.
    RacerhomieXlollivercaliGG1netmagestanhopeStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Ugh that red dot though...people must be buying regular Apple Watches. /s
    RacerhomieXcalinetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    My guess is that Apple will make some announcement on sales when it crosses the 50M cumulative sold level. Should be next year. 

I have heard lots of anecdotal stories of people getting their first AW with the Series 3 due to cellular. 

And we always say it, but worth repeating - AirPods are the best wireless headphones I have ever owned. Use them every day, for hours a day, switching between iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac. Business and personal use.  If only they would seemlessly join AppleTV like the rest...
    RacerhomieXlollivercalithedbadws-2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Smart phone: dominate.
    Wearable device: dominate
    Tablet: Dominate
    Apps: Dominate
    Soon will be music subscribers, let say in 2-3 years?
    RacerhomieXlollivercalinetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple will either cross 50M by christmas or early in the year.
    They probably have 80% of revenues of the industry and 95% of profits.

By next year, the watch industry, especially their lucrative mid market, will start to feel the burn real hard.
    I see further consolidation and liquidation of IP.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I am definitely not buying Apple Watch. I am going for FitBit Ionic. Apple lost a major customer. They can shed a tear for me.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 7 of 21
    netrox said:
    I am definitely not buying Apple Watch. I am going for FitBit Ionic. Apple lost a major customer. They can shed a tear for me.
    Thank you for the announcement.
    caliking editor the grateSpamSandwichdws-2netmageStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macxpress said:
    I have one, my daughter has one, and neither of us think the dot is bad. in fact, red always works well with black. I don't get the rancor over it.
    slprescottSpamSandwichstanhopewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netrox said:
    Somehow I doubt you were ever a major customer. Or maybe even a minor one. You don't even say anything useful in your post.
    calislprescottking editor the grateSpamSandwichwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    netrox said:
    Wow.  

They’d better close up shop and give the money back to the shareholders. 
    calitmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Surprised iPod is there.

I feel like Apple cut iPod way too soon when the niche is still needed especially since the touch made a bad a** gift for kids. Had Apple updated the line this year it would have easily sold millions again. It's pretty clear the watch is the new iPod but it's also strange to cut a product that was still selling in the millions and had a whole category to itself.

An all-screen iPod nano(OMG) with a new exclusive App Store would have made Tickle Me Elmo and Wii look like holiday duds. Add in the fact it's in a category with ZERO competitors and ZERO copy cats and that's easily a 50 million seller. Games, Games, learning apps, Airplay that beams games to Apple TV and changes iPod into controller, Siri Remote App, Apple Music, Bluetooth etc.

Like this except with no bezel or headphone jack. Add in some Apple magic.

Apple TV is gonna lose the whole gaming market unless they take that powerful little thing seriously.
    Have you guys seen Seasons of Heaven for the Switch?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAiH6DwHG4

The fact Apple TV 4K can run that in 4k Dolby Vision but won't is enough to make me cry at night.

Apple Watch is doing great and I hope Apple keeps up the good work!

macxpress said:

Fun little known fact. Tim Cook had a red dot on his steel Apple Watch before the first generation even launched. Must have been a design favorite at Apple.

Apple CEO Tim Cook holding an Apple Watch

Apple CEO Tim Cooks Apple Watch

edited November 2017 king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Having had a Series 0 AW from the start (well, after it finally shipped!), I treated myself to a Series 3 AW, but without LTE. I am quite happy with the improved performance.  Maybe at some point in the future I’ll go for LTE, but at present that feature doesn’t add sufficient value for me.
    Not surprised that Apple is crushing this product category.  Even with its minor (to me) shortcomings, it is an amazing bit of tech.
    dws-2netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    mmatz said:
    Having had a Series 0 AW from the start (well, after it finally shipped!), I treated myself to a Series 3 AW, but without LTE. I am quite happy with the improved performance.  Maybe at some point in the future I’ll go for LTE, but at present that feature doesn’t add sufficient value for me.
    Not surprised that Apple is crushing this product category.  Even with its minor (to me) shortcomings, it is an amazing bit of tech.
    Apple has left Android wear in the dust and will do the same with FitBIt.   The new watch band connection mechanism is a brilliant thing.   I hate messing with those little pins(lugs?) on normal watches.
    mmatzwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 21
    netrox said:
    How many cases had you planned to procure before this tectonic shift?

My poor AAPL shares, now as valuable as a wind-borne fart ...
    edited November 2017 SpamSandwichmmatzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Today's brokerage report by BankAmerica Merrill Lynch estimates Apple Watch sales for fiscal 2017 (just concluded) at $6.25 billion. They estimate $5 billion in sales for this upcoming holiday quarter alone for the watch (and $10.5 billion for fiscal 2018). That's not only starting to move needle within huge company but it has network effect on ecosystem and makes it more sticky. It's amazing that Apple's multiple still is given scant credit for this. (Note: BAML has one of the more conservative analysts now on AAPL, not imbibing in too much Cupertino KoolAid, keeping their $180 target intact even after yesterday's strong surprise.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:
    I have one, my daughter has one, and neither of us think the dot is bad. in fact, red always works well with black. I don't get the rancor over it.
    These people with red dot aversion define silly....go to Houston, Puerto Rico, various parts of the Caribbean, and then talk about how awful your life is having to put up with a red dot on the apple watch...newsflash..if you hate it then DONT BUY IT and take your complaining ars to a homeless shelter and volunteer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    brucemc said:
    My guess is that Apple will make some announcement on sales when it crosses the 50M cumulative sold level. Should be next year. 

I have heard lots of anecdotal stories of people getting their first AW with the Series 3 due to cellular. 

And we always say it, but worth repeating - AirPods are the best wireless headphones I have ever owned. Use them every day, for hours a day, switching between iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac. Business and personal use.  If only they would seemlessly join AppleTV like the rest...
    I use my AirPods with my ATV as well. it only took one instance of using the manual pairing button to put them onto the device list. every time after i just pick them from the devices list when i want to use them at night and awaaaay we go. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21

melgross said:
    macxpress said:
    Because it’s a completely subjective, non-neutral color. Your daughter likes it, great. I don’t. Lots of people don’t. I like black because black goes with everything, red doesn’t. 

A subjective color choice that is the only option is not a feature. 
    edited November 2017 king editor the grate
  • Reply 19 of 21

stanhope said:
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:
    These people with red dot aversion define silly....go to Houston, Puerto Rico, various parts of the Caribbean, and then talk about how awful your life is having to put up with a red dot on the apple watch...newsflash..if you hate it then DONT BUY IT and take your complaining ars to a homeless shelter and volunteer.
    Stupidest thing on this forum. You can reduce any criticism of any topic with that. But we aren’t on a forum for saving the humanities, we’re on a tech forum discussing the minutia of apple gear, so it’s relevant discussion. You’re just trying to squash dissenting opinion. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mmatz said:
    There's no doubt that the Apple Watch is outperforming their competitors on the whole. However, this report of 75% increase to the "wearables" category is arguably attributable almost entirely to the AirPods, IMO, which the AI article even alludes to this. MacRumors hilariously doesn't even mention the most successful Apple product of this past year. But very clever of Cook to emphasize the Watch, allowing us to infer it was responsible for the jump.