Thieves grab over 300 iPhone X units off delivery truck in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    But seems pointless in the end unless your going to scam 313 people individually without getting caught because once they try and activate it , it should be red flagged. 
    And... that's exactly what they'll do. The phones are useless to whomever buys them. But, these guys will be gone with the money.

Soli said:
    Pot meet kettle.... study finds that Vice authors think they are journalists ;)

fallenjt said:
    Arrest that UPS driver and thing will clear out. That’s insider’s leak. There’s no way the damn thieves know when and where to hit that truck!
    Umm, I'd guess it was sitting just outside the Apple store. While the driver locked the truck, I'm not sure that was a good idea to leave it alone that long... so yes, that's a point. But, it isn't exactly rocket-science to sit in a van near an Apple store and wait, either.

bestkeptsecret said:
    But as Soli said, even if they make it out of the country, in the long run they will be traced.
    The phones will be traced... I'm not sure THEY (the criminals) will be.

horvatic said:
    It is a little suspicious that they knew that truck had iPhones in it.
    Apple store. Delivery. New product launch. Pretty safe bet.

Soli said:
    fallenjt said:
    Arrest that UPS driver and thing will clear out. That’s insider’s leak. There’s no way the damn thieves know when and where to hit that truck!
    Fuck doing any investigation, just arrest the driver because he's the only one who could possibly know there was iPhones on the truck¡
    Yea... you'd have to be an incredible genius to put that together... LOL

On the bright side, this will give 300ish SF people a bit more time to rethink their purchase.
    edited November 2017 MacPro
  • Reply 22 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What pot? What kettle? Why does a website you don't like matter when they link to actual sources and you can easily find this same study and others like it with a quick search? Is your problem that it references Alex Jones? I sure hope he's not someone you look to for information.
    tokyojimuStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What pot? What kettle? Why does a website you don't like matter when they link to actual sources and you can easily find this same study and others like it with a quick search? Is your problem that it references Alex Jones? I sure hope he's not someone you look to for information.
    People pretending to be hot-shot journalists, labeling those (and views) they disagree with as 'conspiracy theorist' attention seekers.
    re: Jones - yea, that's kind of like Bill Maher interviewing snake handlers as a representation of American Christianity. It's the oldest trick in the 'journalism' book.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    People pretending to be hot-shot journalists, labeling those (and views) they disagree with as 'conspiracy theorist' attention seekers.
    re: Jones - yea, that's kind of like Bill Maher interviewing snake handlers as a representation of American Christianity. It's the oldest trick in the 'journalism' book.
    Holy crap on a cracker!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 45
    viclauyyc said:
    Soli said:
    Can not Apple simply find the phones once activated? Must be so many ways to track them. No? 
    Yes, but this seems organized. They also may ship the devices to a country where the serial numbers don't matter and a much higher per-unit price can be had (to offset the shipping costs). Then you have the potential for a gadget "chop shop" but I think this device might be too new for that solution to be the most likely.

Even if they do get away with it in the short term, Apple and authorities will likely not let it go, just like we saw with a Romanian gang stealing iPhones off the back of a moving truck like it's a Fast and Furious movie.

Wow. So crazy. But then they spend all life looking over their shoulder. 
    Ever watch a movie called fast and furious?
    Sounds like a godawful movie. Who watches that garbage?
    car-lovers, I mustve seen F&F countless times and I couldn't tell you the storyline in detail. It was all about the cars and the scene. 
  • Reply 26 of 45
    adm1 said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Soli said:
    Can not Apple simply find the phones once activated? Must be so many ways to track them. No? 
    Yes, but this seems organized. They also may ship the devices to a country where the serial numbers don't matter and a much higher per-unit price can be had (to offset the shipping costs). Then you have the potential for a gadget "chop shop" but I think this device might be too new for that solution to be the most likely.

Even if they do get away with it in the short term, Apple and authorities will likely not let it go, just like we saw with a Romanian gang stealing iPhones off the back of a moving truck like it's a Fast and Furious movie.

Wow. So crazy. But then they spend all life looking over their shoulder. 
    Ever watch a movie called fast and furious?
    Sounds like a godawful movie. Who watches that garbage?
    car-lovers, I mustve seen F&F countless times and I couldn't tell you the storyline in detail. It was all about the cars and the scene. 
    Starting with the 4th or 5th film the characters have effectively transitioned into superheroes insofar as they don't seem to get hurt and have unrealistic abilities well beyond what is standard for films (like jumping through a plate glass window without getting a scratch) and villains from past movies somehow end up being auxiliary good guys in the next. They still have great cars and if you like superhero movies there's no reason to turn your nose up at these entertaining popcorn films.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 27 of 45
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Soli said:
    That study, from the European Journal of Social Psychiatry is called, "Too special to be duped: Need for uniqueness motivates conspiracy
    beliefs", and was authored by Roland Imhoff & Pia Karoline Lambert.

That study is absolute rubbish.

I am a physician.  I have performed studies, and I routinely read them.  Studies have criteria to meet to be considered significant.  In medical school and residency, those criteria and abilities to evaluate the *significance* of a study is pounded into us for the entire time.  That study you are referencing has essentially no criteria to support it.

There are no control groups, no retrospective analysis.  The "study" isn't even a study; it's basically a poll, but without statistical controls.  There is *nothing* there, but opinion, with references to other papers building on anecdotal opinions.  It's garbage.  The electrons in your link are literally more valuable than that study.

I'm not saying that conspiracy theorists don't just want to be special. Maybe they do.  Who even cares?  What I am saying is that your study make no intelligent comment on this issue.

People need to stop just open-mouth gulping down anything you happen to read and accept it as fact.  Use your brains, people!
    MacProbloggerblogSpamSandwichcgWerksronn
  • Reply 28 of 45
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Soli said:
    fallenjt said:
    Fuck doing any investigation, just arrest the driver because he's the only one who could possibly know there was iPhones on the truck¡
    To quote my own response from a few posts up...

Roake said:

I guess it's a LITTLE suspicious to for someone to think that a huge delivery truck might have iPhones in it when it just pulled up and parked outside an Apple Store just before the iPhone X goes on sale the next day.  It COULD have been, erm, hot chocolate?
    Why is this such a hard connection to make?
    MacPronetmageronn
  • Reply 29 of 45
    roake said:
    Soli said:
    That study, from the European Journal of Social Psychiatry is called, "Too special to be duped: Need for uniqueness motivates conspiracy
    beliefs", and was authored by Roland Imhoff & Pia Karoline Lambert.

That study is absolute rubbish.

I am a physician.  I have performed studies, and I routinely read them.  Studies have criteria to meet to be considered significant.  In medical school and residency, those criteria and abilities to evaluate the *significance* of a study is pounded into us for the entire time.  That study you are referencing has essentially no criteria to support it.

There are no control groups, no retrospective analysis.  The "study" isn't even a study; it's basically a poll, but without statistical controls.  There is *nothing* there, but opinion, with references to other papers building on anecdotal opinions.  It's garbage.  The electrons in your link are literally more valuable than that study.

I'm not saying that conspiracy theorists don't just want to be special. Maybe they do.  Who even cares?  What I am saying is that your study make no intelligent comment on this issue.

People need to stop just open-mouth gulping down anything you happen to read and accept it as fact.  Use your brains, people!
    And what issues did you take with the study when you read it? What about other such studies in this area that are referenced and back up their claims? What type of physician are you? Do you disagree with their well stated methodology, do you find their sample size to small, do you think they weren't strict enough with their exclusion process, do you think 8 months is not long enough of a review process, or are there some  other aspects of the study you must've read for you claim it's "absolute rubbish." What kind type of individual who is claiming to be an authority would suggest that all studies require control groups? There are a lot of instances when a control group is not included in an experimental design. Prospective cohort studies are one, in which a group of individuals are tracked longitudinally. Another is observational studies wherein the study does not have an experimental manipulation, but rather participants are followed in their naturalistic setting, or alternatively, all participants undergo the same experimental protocol. Pilot studies are commonly set up this way. It's a good way to collect preliminary data without too much expense. Typically, in these kinds of studies analyses look at repeated measures, within-subject effects.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    roake said:
    I guess it's a LITTLE suspicious to for someone to think that a huge delivery truck might have iPhones in it when it just pulled up and parked outside an Apple Store just before the iPhone X goes on sale the next day.  It COULD have been, erm, hot chocolate?
    I don't follow what you think is at all suspicious about a delivery truck delivering Apple products to an Apple Store. To me, suspicion that something was amiss wouldn't begin until the truck had far exceeded its normal delivery time without any word of why its late.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    These criminals will get their just deserts—by their own doing, if not by the police or courts.

Meanwhile, in like manner, anyone who expects to get a "deal" paying substantially under MSRP for an Apple product, should realize that such items are most likely "hot" or turn out to be "bricked."
    edited November 2017 ronn
  • Reply 32 of 45
    When things are truly scarce, like concert tickets, the mad-scramble makes more sense, as does paying double.

And the "sport" of trying to get the phone soonest ("Boy was I tired the next day, but I stayed up late and scored a Nov 3rd delivery date") is all in good fun, like anything we may be passionate about.

But paying double on eBay or Craigslist for something (suspect?) you can get at normal price for no hassle (and no risk) in a few weeks is really something. 

Only the best products can create this

E.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

Doesn't matter. Most likely they'll find the people who bought the stolen phones, not the thieves. But you never know.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    simply258 said:

What's the point? That will mean the thieves sold the phone and made their money, and the buyer will end up with a brick. I doubt the user would even know who they bought it from.
    I’d like to listen in on one of the calls to Apple support. 

Apple support: How may I help you?

Customer: This damn iPhone X I just bought won’t activate.

Apple support: I’m sorry about that. Let’s see if we can resolve this issue. Oh wait! That’s a stolen iPhone X. We’re sending the police to pick it up. Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: WTF?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Welcome to sanctuary city SanFranSicko.
    SpamSandwichcgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 45
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member

Because in the Bible Belt, Christian white male terrorists just walk into Walmart and kill people? 🙄

StrangeDaysSolironn
  • Reply 37 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    How does one outlet pretend to be a hot-shot journalist? what is a hot-shot journalist?

Any sort of belief in the super natural, including dead guys walking on water, is childish nonsense. But conspiracy theorists are in a league of their own.
    Soli
  • Reply 38 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

Oh do shove it. If you can prove this robbery was committed by illegal aliens I’ll give you an itunes gift card. 

The point of sanctuary city policies is to encourage illegals to give witness accounts to local investigators in more serious matters, like murder cases. 
    edited November 2017 Solironn
  • Reply 39 of 45
    These criminals will get their just deserts—by their own doing, if not by the police or courts.

Meanwhile, in like manner, anyone who expects to get a "deal" paying substantially under MSRP for an Apple product, should realize that such items are most likely "hot" or turn out to be "bricked."
    As @Eric_in_CT states, the demand is currently so high that these thieves can likely ask for well above the MSRP while still undercutting other, legitimate sellers. We're only talking 300 units and I bet I could take over some random eBay account(s) in minutes or buy access on the dark web so I can sell these 300 unites within a phenomenally short amount of time.

Apple may have systems in place to track this, and there are certainly other ways to offload these devices so these thieves are likely already paid at this point
    cgWerks
  • Reply 40 of 45
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    fallenjt said:
    If this was an inside job, then mostly likely the leak wasn't from the driver but the someone working for the shipper. The driver wouldn't know that there were iPhones X in the boxes going to the Apple Store. The driver is not the one that loads the truck. To maximize the space, the truck is loaded in such a way that all the deliveries before the Apple Store must be made, before he has access to the packages going to the Apple Store. A scanning device tells him all and in what order to deliver the packages in the truck. The Apple Store probably get packages every day and iPhones are probably shipped bulk in a large plain box, directly from Foxconn.

But each box will have a tracking number that the customer can use to track the package. So If someone working at Foxconn, that had access to the tracking number, were to give or sell that tracking number to the thieves, then the thieves would know that the shipment of iPhone X were on the UPS truck that day just by going online and tracking it.

All the thieves had to do was to break into the truck while the driver was making the deliveries before the Apple Store. And no problem locating the truck, this Apple Store is in a shopping mall, so the truck would be parked somewhere in the mall parking lot or yellow zones, while the driver was making his delivery round. And most likely he makes his delivery round the same way every day and because the way the truck is loaded, the theives knew they had to wait for the driver to deliver all the other packages that are stacked in front of the packages going to the Apple Store, before they break in. Otherwise they would not have fast access to the packages going to the Apple Store. 

Or it it could have been someone working at the Apple Store, that had access to the tracking number of the iPhone X shipment.
    edited November 2017 Solironn