U.S. lines for iPhone X long, but Apple Stores claim to have 'enough' -- for now

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    lkrupp said:
    So I would love to see some investigative journalism here to find out what’s really going on. How could analysts and pundits be so wrong? Sure, they’re usually wrong about Apple but this is stupendously embarrassing for every prognosticator out there. Even 9to5Mac bought into the story. Recent articles all but confirmed that there were massive production issues with the iPhone X. Were the analysts played like a fiddle by Apple? Did the tech media actively try to scuttle the launch? Is Apple lying about demand? Apple’s guidance for Q1 is off the charts. If they’re lying about demand then they’re lying about their guidance and that would mean big trouble.

My personal opinion is that the tech media willingly bought into the ‘failure’ meme and were played like a fiddle by Apple.

What’s your opinion?
    Prejudice against Apple and its design values are super common in tech circles. And the more products Apple sells, the more people love their products, the noisier the doomsayers get. If Apple was a bit player, not competitive, or not loved, the naysayers wouldn't even bother talking about Apple. Consider it a sign that Apple is doing something right, to the dismay of the haters.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    polymnia said:
    lkrupp said:
    So I would love to see some investigative journalism here to find out what’s really going on. How could analysts and pundits be so wrong? Sure, they’re usually wrong about Apple but this is stupendously embarrassing for every prognosticator out there. Even 9to5Mac bought into the story. Recent articles all but confirmed that there were massive production issues with the iPhone X. Were the analysts played like a fiddle by Apple? Did the tech media actively try to scuttle the launch? Is Apple lying about demand? Apple’s guidance for Q1 is off the charts. If they’re lying about demand then they’re lying about their guidance and that would mean big trouble.

My personal opinion is that the tech media willingly bought into the ‘failure’ meme and were played like a fiddle by Apple.

What’s your opinion?
    Agreed, when Tim Cook was asked about the shortage he did not confirm or deny it, as if he wanted the uncertainty to continue.
    That’s a pretty liberal editorialization of his non-statement. 

Apple has pretty much the same non-answer to any question about strategy, operations, plans or anything else. 

I’ll wouldn’t read anything into a non-answer like this. 
    Not really, they quickly dismissed the rumor that they're easing off on sensor standards.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    I think they encourage concern about supply to make demand.  Otherwise, why can't this rich company figure out how to meet all of the launch day demand?  Samsung can create enough supply for all of it's releases - how is it Apple gets it wrong every single time?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

lkrupp said:

What’s your opinion?
    Honestly, why are you surprised? I long ago learned to pay no attention to these ding-dongs.

Apple can never get into any public tit-for-tat conversation about these idle speculations, so its all one-sided nonsense.

Apple has to be extremely careful doing or saying any that could be construed to manipulate the stock price, but these analysts have no such legal or ethical restriction.

It's all click bait and fear mongering...which is really short sighted, given how many people actually are iPhone fans and ignore a lot of the gloomy headlines...as I do a majority of them.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    plohnes said:
    I think they encourage concern about supply to make demand.  Otherwise, why can't this rich company figure out how to meet all of the launch day demand?  Samsung can create enough supply for all of it's releases - how is it Apple gets it wrong every single time?
    Samsung has less haters than Apple, whose rumours are coming from. You are just reading all the rumours, Apple never said anything regarding their supply.
    edited November 2017 flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 40
    From what I can tell, Apple focused the vast majority of its stock in the US.  Most Canadian Apple stores had very little stock (many under 100 units, some less than 50),  and they were all 64GB Space Grey phones.  This is quite a bit less than for the 7 Plus launch.
    flashfan207
  • Reply 27 of 40
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    They most likely decided how many units to allocate to stores before they started taking online orders for the remainder. And as someone who has stayed up late to buy a first-day iPhone online and has also stood for many hours in line to buy a first-day iPad in an Apple Store, I can assure you that the line-waiting is more of an exhausting commitment, and it would be much worse to wait for hours in line and then still end up having to order online. So to me seems reasonable that they set aside a fair number of units for the people willing to stand in line for many hours to get it on the first day. 
    edited November 2017 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 40
    So much stock, now why is the phone I stayed up till 3am to order coming after November 17th? 
    Exactly!!! Me too! What’s the point of preordering then, right? If they just put my preordered iPhone X in a store for sometime to just wait till launch day and pick up, then why did I bother giving Apple my credit card number already?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    rainmaker said:
    So much stock, now why is the phone I stayed up till 3am to order coming after November 17th? 
    I'm wondering the same thing. Especially as reports say phones are being shipped earlier than promised, but mine still shows a ship date of Nov 17-24. And I stayed up all night just to have the Apple Store App be unavailable to me for 25 minutes.
    Yeah, that’s what happened to me too. Though my app came on at about 3:12, it was already too late. Oh well. It gets here when it gets here, I guess... Just why bother? Hopefully it gets here much sooner than the promise date. 
  • Reply 30 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Exactly!!! Me too! What’s the point of preordering then, right? If they just put my preordered iPhone X in a store for sometime to just wait till launch day and pick up, then why did I bother giving Apple my credit card number already?
    The point of preorder is to avoid lining up for days in front of the store with the risk that if you don’t get it you have to wait even longer.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40
    They most likely decided how many units to allocate to stores before they started taking online orders for the remainder. And as someone who has stayed up late to buy a first-day iPhone online and has also stood for many hours in line to buy a first-day iPad in an Apple Store, I can assure you that the line-waiting is more of an exhausting commitment, and it would be much worse to wait for hours in line and then still end up having to order online. So to me seems reasonable that they set aside a fair number of units for the people willing to stand in line for many hours to get it on the first day. 
    Okay, fair enough. That makes me feel a bit better then, at least. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 40
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:
    lkrupp said:

What’s your opinion?
    Agreed, when Tim Cook was asked about the shortage he did not confirm or deny it, as if he wanted the uncertainty to continue.
    That’s a pretty liberal editorialization of his non-statement. 

Apple has pretty much the same non-answer to any question about strategy, operations, plans or anything else. 

I’ll wouldn’t read anything into a non-answer like this. 
    Not really, they quickly dismissed the rumor that they're easing off on sensor standards.
    That’s anecdotal evidence. Apple typically gives non-answers to all questions. They occasionally answer a question. Since the preponderance of questions are answered with a non-answer, I don’t see how you can make any conclusive inference of their reason for staying quiet. 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Bebe said:
    Wow! A lot of people line up to get the most expensive iPhone.  Apple loyalists don't care about how much they are spending for an Apple product ... that's amazing.
    We do care how much it costs. We just feel it’s worth it and make a conscious decision. 
    douglas bailey
  • Reply 34 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp said:

What’s your opinion?
    Anal ysts know nothing about supply chains. As Tim Cook, supply chain master, said, supply chains are very complex.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I predict the iPhone ASP is going to be remarkably high which should help the stock price over the next year.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    plohnes said:
     because they’re much, much more demanded than some knockoff garbage. and they have more difficult components. it’s impossible to produce them all in advance to meet the peak/surge/crushing Day 1 demand.

ain’t rocket science. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 40
    rainmaker said:
    I'm wondering the same thing. Especially as reports say phones are being shipped earlier than promised, but mine still shows a ship date of Nov 17-24. And I stayed up all night just to have the Apple Store App be unavailable to me for 25 minutes.

My wife’s phone was also slated for Nov 17-24 but it is coming on Nov 6. Check UPS. 
  • Reply 38 of 40
    plohnes said:
    Samsung? Lol...the amount of sale from iPhone phone in a day > any Samsung sale for entire quarter! Newbie’s comment sucks on every level!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Funny that they have a line in Tampa. I was in Bradenton last week (doing a rec baseball tournament). During the preorders day and coming back from playing (so more than 16 hours after), I would have been able to get order an iPhone X and get it on release day, which back home it was 5-6 weeks.
    You know you can just cancel the online order right? I did it many times in the past: went to store, secured one and cancelled online order right at that time.
    Soliwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 40
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Bebe said:
    Wow! A lot of people line up to get the most expensive iPhone.  Apple loyalists don't care about how much they are spending for an Apple product ... that's amazing.
    With the upgrade program the difference for me is about ten dollars a month. That’s, as Cook mentioned, less than two Cafe Mochas. 
    StrangeDays