Video: The iPhone X ultimate Face ID test

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
A centerpiece feature of Apple's iPhone X is Face ID, which completely replaces Touch ID. Here's how -- and how well -- the technology works in practice.

Be sure to check out our full review of the iPhone X by Daniel Eran Dilger.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

ronnrdevillers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I think it’s a certain percentage of the face. That it needs to recognize to unlock. 
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Hi! In the video, you said that Face ID didn't work when your eyes were closed which you suggested would prevent someone from pointing the phone at you to unlock it if you had phone asleep and they had access to your phone. But later in the video you said it worked while you were wearing sunglasses. Did you mean that FaceID recognized you? If so, that would seem to contradict the eyes-closed test, right? And wouldn't that mean that someone could access your phone (by pointing it at you) if you had fallen asleep with your sunglasses on? Just want to see if I understood the video correctly. Thanks!
    gatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pausa said:
    Hi! In the video, you said that Face ID didn't work when your eyes were closed which you suggested would prevent someone from pointing the phone at you to unlock it if you had phone asleep and they had access to your phone. But later in the video you said it worked while you were wearing sunglasses. Did you mean that FaceID recognized you? If so, that would seem to contradict the eyes-closed test, right? And wouldn't that mean that someone could access your phone (by pointing it at you) if you had fallen asleep with your sunglasses on? Just want to see if I understood the video correctly. Thanks!
    IR will penetrate most sunglasses. His eyes would still have to be open behind the sunglasses, though. There is a specific wavelength that some sunglasses block (940nm wavelength) which will prevent Face ID from working because it won't be able to read your eyes.

PS: It'll be interesting to see sunglasses start to advertise that their glasses work with the iPhone X.
    edited November 2017 calislprescottGG1Rayz2016anantksundaramJFC_PApscooter63propod[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    When you take the percent of people that won’t be able to unlock their IPhone X due to them wearing a mask, helmet, face protection (ie: certain jobs that require it), compared to the percent of people who wear gloves and can’t unlock their phone with Touch ID due to them wearing gloves; it’s probably a wash, so in that case, the more secure technology should be welcomed. I think it’s great bc lots of times I get out of the shower (listening to AppleInsider Podcast), and I want to access the control settings on my phone to check a text and I can’t use Touch ID bc my hands are wet...
    bb-15kingofsomewherehotbluefire1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    We need a shaving cream test on the face!!! Real world test when shaving....will it work?
    i say yes bc it should read your eyes and nose even though the contour of your face is hidden from shaving cream.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Utterly remarkable technology. Even more remarkable is the form-factor they fit it in, and that its a product that is being mass produced in the tens of millions. 
    PickUrPoisonradarthekatslprescottGG1JFC_PApropod
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Very informative video
  • Reply 8 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The old Groucho Marx glasses and nose test.  Great idea,  Chief.  You had me fooled.
    - M. Smart
  • Reply 9 of 25
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm actually really impressed with Face ID. I tried it wearing a hat with sunglasses on and Face ID worked perfectly. Before I received the X today, I was a bit worried I would like Touch ID better. After using the phone all day, I'm really loving Face ID. It's pretty awesome technology. 
    edited November 2017 anantksundaramJFC_PApscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm actually really impressed with Face ID. I tried it wearing a hat with sunglasses on and Face ID worked perfectly. Before I received the X today, I was a bit worried I would like Touch ID better. After using the phone all day, I'm really loving Face ID. It's pretty awesome technology. 
    The pattern is, there's a good chance anyone who actually gives it a shot will prefer it over Touch ID. The concern-trolling about how horrible it will be, by people who have never used it but just KNOW it will be horrible, has been unbelievable.  
    JFC_PApscooter63boltsfan17
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I can almost guarantee all the flagship Android smartphones will be following Apple down the 3D facial recognition trail. Apple is getting so much attention from Face ID and those Android smartphone manufacturers won't be able to tolerate iPhone X stealing their limelight. Even if they had planned using something else or were happy with their fingerprint sensor technology, they'll have no choice but to toss it aside and copy Apple. I honestly don't think most consumers would be unhappy to continue using the fingerprint reader since it works so well, but the Android smartphone companies simply won't allow Apple to have Face ID to itself. That is really sad.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    The pattern is, there's a good chance anyone who actually gives it a shot will prefer it over Touch ID. The concern-trolling about how horrible it will be, by people who have never used it but just KNOW it will be horrible, has been unbelievable.  
    Why? We see it every single time Apple introduces a new product. Look at the number of people wh9 insisted the MacBook Pro was junk before they’d even seen one. 
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 13 of 25
    slurpy said:
    Utterly remarkable technology. Even more remarkable is the form-factor they fit it in, and that its a product that is being mass produced in the tens of millions. 
    Indeed. I was thinking the same thing. Truly astonishing. 

Btw, 'tens'? It'll be comfortably in the many many many hundreds of millions by the time this technology is done. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:

It'll be interesting to see sunglasses start to advertise that their glasses work with the iPhone X.
    You'd think they would follow the same trajectory as touchscreen gloves.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    It'll be interesting to see sunglasses start to advertise that their glasses work with the iPhone X.
    You'd think they would follow the same trajectory as touchscreen gloves.
    I think it will. I debated wording my statement as "I wonder…" or "I could see… ," but I opted for "it'll be interesting to see…" when I considered that capacitance touchscreen-compatible gloves became a thing soon after the iPhone hit the market.

One thing could be different with sunglasses as capacitance is effectively universal, but other smartphone vendors can use different IR wavelengths when they follow Apple's lead with face recognition unlocking as a standard (and even Apple could adjust their IR wavelength) which could potentially lead to usability issues. Still, if that happens it'll be  minor. Even now we have some Qi chargers that won't work with the Series 3 Watch and that's not a big deal.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Great video! Thanks for posting it so quickly. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That’s what I call a proper test: demonstrates the good points and the bad with real life examples (except the Groucho Marx disguise). 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    It would be nice to see how in the ads it shows a woman I’m with a wet face but hair back in a pool and shoes the dots reaching her when the phone is flat, how far away it can be from say the pools edge to reach your face , maybe 45 degrees is the limit or maybe less. 
  • Reply 19 of 25
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    I expected a test in the sunlight, since that is where there are reports of issues due to the IR sensor having a problem with sunlight.
    Not a thorough enough review.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    sree said:
    I expected a test in the sunlight, since that is where there are reports of issues due to the IR sensor having a problem with sunlight.
    Not a thorough enough review.
    The "issues" (sic) were already edge case (meaning already hard when no in sunlight) like at angle, belt level crap test from the verge's resident Apple troll Patel.

Anything happening on Youtube by some random dweeb is 100% garanteed click bait and can't be trusted.