iPhone X review: Apple's Face ID vision for the future of iOS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    wizard69 said:

boeyc15 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    larrystar said:
     Affordable? 
    Yes, people have actually bought it, so it’s affordable. 

Come on... fine lets play that game --- 'affordable to significant amount of present Apple iphone owners that have purchased their iphone as a new flagship phone when it came out?'
    Why significant amount of present iPhone owners would buy iPhone X? They are not geeks changing an iPhone every year and not everyone even needs an iPhone X. Those who need it can afford it, as actual sales show.
    Not to be a contrarian but you really can't judge affordability based on the early adopter rush.    Come back in six months and let the market show you if people think it is affordable.    As with every product release for Apple you have to get past the made dash before you will know if device is a success.    One example is Mac Book, during the made rush sales look good then people start to realize it is an awful machine for the money expended and sales tank.
    People won’t spend $1000 to just “experiment” with a new model. If they spend that this is because they really need that model. Some may return it after finding it unfit to their needs. That happens with every new product launch and doesn’t change the overall popular perception of the product. That product is perceived correctly by the public at this price point, that’s all. Your claim may apply to Surface or Windows Phone but not to a Macbook or iPhone.

What you recite is the old “chasm theory”: the product booms with the rush of the early adopters then suddenly stops, it is said that the product has fallen into the “chasm” etc. etc. Do you really believe that Apple is unaware of that graphic?
    edited November 2017 radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 62 of 96
    wizard69 said:

boeyc15 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    larrystar said:
     Affordable? 
    Yes, people have actually bought it, so it’s affordable. 

Come on... fine lets play that game --- 'affordable to significant amount of present Apple iphone owners that have purchased their iphone as a new flagship phone when it came out?'
    Why significant amount of present iPhone owners would buy iPhone X? They are not geeks changing an iPhone every year and not everyone even needs an iPhone X. Those who need it can afford it, as actual sales show.
    Not to be a contrarian but you really can't judge affordability based on the early adopter rush.    Come back in six months and let the market show you if people think it is affordable.    As with every product release for Apple you have to get past the made dash before you will know if device is a success. One example is Mac Book, during the made rush sales look good then people start to realize it is an awful machine for the money expended and sales tank.
    Hmmm yes can you source that claim?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 63 of 96
    I love my new phone but man Apple needs to do a better job of ensuring Apple Watch is properly unpaired from existing phone and repaired to new phone. I never thought about it and the Apple store employee never mentioned it so my new phone was set up and my old phone wiped without my Apple Watch having been unpaired from it. When I paired it to my new phone and restored from backup all the activity history was missing. I have sleep tracking apps that use the watch and all my history is there but for workout data it’s as if I’ve never owned an Apple Watch before. And there is no way to get this data back. Once the old phone the watch was paired to is wiped the data is gone forever. Seriously Apple? There has to be a better way. I guarantee you non techie folks who own an Watch aren’t going to know about the proper unpairing steps so you don’t lose data. What a joke.

edit: so apparently in iOS 11 health data can be backed up to iCloud by it is set to off by default. How many people even know that’s an option? I don’t remember when upgrading being asked if I wanted to back my health data up to the cloud. Seriously it should not be this easy to lose 2 years worth of Apple Watch data. WTF Apple.
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 64 of 96
    I love my new phone but man Apple needs to do a better job of ensuring Apple Watch is properly unpaired from existing phone and repaired to new phone. I never thought about it and the Apple store employee never mentioned it so my new phone was set up and my old phone wiped without my Apple Watch having been unpaired from it. When I paired it to my new phone and restored from backup all the activity history was missing. I have sleep tracking apps that use the watch and all my history is there but for workout data it’s as if I’ve never owned an Apple Watch before. And there is no way to get this data back. Once the old phone the watch was paired to is wiped the data is gone forever. Seriously Apple? There has to be a better way. I guarantee you non techie folks who own an Watch aren’t going to know about the proper unpairing steps so you don’t lose data. What a joke.

edit: so apparently in iOS 11 health data can be backed up to iCloud by it is set to off by default. How many people even know that’s an option? I don’t remember when upgrading being asked if I wanted to back my health data up to the cloud. Seriously it should not be this easy to lose 2 years worth of Apple Watch data. WTF Apple.
    Health data can be backed-up to iCloud since the beginning. If previous back-ups were performed you'd have them in your Health app. Maybe not the latest ones but previous ones. I have many Apple Watches in my Health app, all resulting from previous unanticipated unpairings, plus one replacement. Each Apple Watch instance contains its health data. Apparently you never backed-up your Health data to iCloud. Or maybe you had those old instances too and you manually deleted them  :# ?
  • Reply 65 of 96

Health data can be backed-up to iCloud since the beginning. If previous back-ups were performed you'd have them in your Health app. Maybe not the latest ones but previous ones. I have many Apple Watches in my Health app, all resulting from previous unanticipated unpairings, plus one replacement. Each Apple Watch instance contains its health data. Apparently you never backed-up your Health data to iCloud. Or maybe you had those old instances too and you manually deleted them  :# ?
    My understanding is health data could only be backed up to iCloud starting with iOS 11 but is turned off by default and sure enough it was turned off in settings. When I upgraded to iOS 11 I don’t remember ever being asked if I wanted to back up health data to iCloud. I definitely would have said yes. Also I’m assuming if I had unpaired my watch from my 7 before setting up my 10 it would have either automatically created a backup or asked me if I wanted to create one. When I went to pair my watch with my 10 it had a backup from today (missing activity data) and the next most recent backup was from January. It sucks that there’s no way to get this data. And I’ll bet a lot of people don’t know you have to go into settings and turn on health in order for it to backup to iCloud.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    brucemc said:
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    fmalloy said:
    lkrupp said:
    scottkrk2 said:
    I'll be sitting out this year's iPhone update, lots of new technology but few benefits.
    I was going to just say “whatever” to you but then I decided to take a look at your twelve posts on this forum. Wow, talk about recitations from the Troll Catechism, you hit them all. Can’t you think for yourself? Are you a bot?
    So all posts on the iPhone X should be nothing but a circle jerk of praise and an echo chamber for Apple fans?

We already got this from the professional reviewers.

Apple has an incredible knack for offering up anything as "the next big thing" and people just eat it up. It's made them very, very rich. It certainly worked on you.

Can anyone else feel that?

A disturbance in the butthurt.  

like a billion Android fans screamed in terror … then were suddenly silenced. 

You can always judge the potential success of a new Apple product by the sphincter-clenching jealousy it produces in the “hate Apple until the end of time” brigade. 

Though to be accurate, it’s not a hatred of Apple: it’s a lack of confidence in their own choice. They know there is a possibility that there is something better out there, and that knowledge just kills them. The irony is that they claim Android gives them “choice”. But they don’t want choice. They want everyone to use the same phone as they use, so they don’t have to feel that they’re missing out. 

It’s bigly sad. 
    1.   Apple executes their design and build better than anyone.   Apple may be using (buying) a Samsung screen but they didn't insecurely feel the need to copy the Edge on Samsung phones.

2.   Android phones seem to make (at least) one stupid mistake.   Essential had a beautiful design but a bad camera experience (a notch I could live with).   S8 and Note 8 put their finger print scanners next to the camera (just stupid).   And then there are the Pixel 2/2XL's and their screen problems (burning or ghosting within a week)?

3.   Why do all the Andrcoidati love their Pixels' because it doesn't have the crap that the OEM's put on their phones.  They are looking for a phone that doesn't lag, slowdown, or Freeze over time like an iPhone - or will atleast get them through a year till the next model.   See the latest report's about the Note8 freezing.   Most Android OEM's  don't trust Google.

4.   Google doesn't seem to be have a sustained multi-year commitment to hardware.   They buy Motorola and then sell it.   They start Android Wear and now that has lost steam.   How long will Google stay in the hardware business.    Who knows?

5   Android has a couple good features (services) - I think Maps, Search, and the Google Assistant are very good.   I wish that Apple would come out with a phones that would improve SIRI at the same rate that Apple has innovated in displays (HDR screen, true tone, Super Retina Display)  or all the work they put into FaceID with the sensor array in the notch.     How about some special dedicated hardware for SIRI - new microphones, on board AI chip for Natural language translation and the ability to work without a Cell connection (I do need to go through those SIRI training videos AI did but that seems so 1990's DragonDictate - Alexa just works for me even when I slur my words at night).
    Good post.  Just a few comments:
    2) Essential was an OK phone, but in many areas, it was 2016 level tech for a 2017 flagship.  The S8 had more than a poorly placed fingerprint scanner - basically a partially useful iris scanner, and a completely useless face recognition system.  Still did not have depth cameras / zoom on phones costing more than the iPhone 8+.  For all of the Android flagships, they are also now well behind Apple in CPU/GPU performance (the term is getting crushed).

5) Fully agree, and it is something that I have been expecting on a new phone since last year.  Apple mgmt aren't stupid - they know the enormous criticism that Siri gets (even when as usual much of it is overblown) and that in some ways it is allowing Amazon to get a toehold in the home h/w market.  I can only think that Apple are holding off trying to "really improve Siri" until they have some on-device h/w that makes it shine.  Something that will have an "order of magnitude" improvement, using items you note (multiple mics, DSPs, neural chip,...) and allow for on-board execution of actions which do not require the 'net.
    Thanks

1) I thought Essential was atleast original in their design and in using a Ceramic case.   They need to improve their components and build.  Maybe they should ask for thecamera from the Pixel2 .

5) Hoping the HomePods have a greatly improved SIRI and that it Filters into future phones.

Next Year We will have IPhone 9 and 9plus based on design of 8/8plus and iPhone XI.  2019 will introduce IPhone XII and XIIplus.  2020 will be the Apple electric Car.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    srivarib said:
    I just bought mine in India, and the back of the phone got really hot during setup. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Yeah, when you start using an iPhone it starts indexing everything on the phone, and starts going through your photos to create a keyword index; this uses a lot of CPU time.

Once its done, it'll stop using so many resources.
    radarthekatRayz2016GG1argonaut
  • Reply 68 of 96
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

I found the article useful and informative, if verbose.

IMO, DED should avoid the hyperbole and the temptation to disparage the competition at every opportunity:

AppleInsider said:
    iPhone X isn't aspiring to look like an angular techie robot on a mission to monetize everyone's content with advertising messages or a square panel of "live tile" TV boxes seeking to impose licensing taxes on the enterprise. 

One reason that some techies choose Apple products is because of fundamental preferences about tech. DED laid out some of those basic preferences in this review. I agree with them. 
    - After all, this is Apple Insider, not Google Insider or Windows Insider. 
    On Android Central or ZDNet there are plenty of comments about other fundamental preferences; about not liking Apple's Walled Garden, lack of customization with closed source software, not having dirt cheap products or being overly aggressive in litigating about its designs.
    There is nothing wrong having preferences. 
    I just don't agree with those preferences. So, I am here. 
    * I think it is appropriate for DED to include fundamental reasons to be an Apple customer.
    I'd add that Apple updates their OS software in all new iPhones up to around 4 years which other platforms cannot match.
    Apple has a well integrated ecosystem across all personal tech segments which again other platforms don't match.
    - There is nothing wrong with being informed about tech and then making choices.
    And there is nothing wrong with a review informing its readers about preferences and allowing them to better choose what they prefer.
    argonaut
  • Reply 69 of 96
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

That's a shame. It's sad to hear when people lose data when getting a new iPhone because the iCloud backup didn't have everything. A good friend of mine lost multiple archived texts (on different messaging apps) when she traded in her old phone for a new iPhone. 
    - Stories like this over the years have made me pretty paranoid about my iPhone/iPad data. What I've done is that even though I get the iCloud backup on my new iOS device at the Apple Store, I also have another full backup through iTunes at home on my iMac. 
    And when I get home, I do a restore on the new device from iTunes. 
    Still, I agree that iCloud backup should be more transparent. 
  • Reply 70 of 96
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    $1300 is a hell of a lot of money for your average Joe or Jane.  
    [...] But stop complaining that there are higher tiers than what you’re comfortable with. 
    I wasn't complaining.  "Affordable" just struck me as an odd adjective for (AFAIK) the most expensive commodity phone in history.  I've now DuckDuckGoed "affordable luxury" and see that it is a common phrase.  Okey-doke.  
    Commodity isn’t a word I’d use to describe the iPhone.  Sure, the secondary definition describes Commodity as ‘a useful or valuable thing, such as water or time’ but the common usage of the word is to describe something that is easily substitutable.  When considering performance, security, privacy, ecosystem, build quality, upgradability (typically at least four major revs of the OS), etc, the iPhone really has no substitute.  
  • Reply 71 of 96
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    srivarib said:
    I just bought mine in India, and the back of the phone got really hot during setup. Anyone else experiencing this?
    A friend of mine at work had the same thing happen. I have had that happen on other phones as well, including my current 7 Plus. There is a lot going on during set up and while pulling your things back down from the cloud. Seems normal to me for this to happen. From what I know glass doesn't dissipate heat as well as metal/aluminum.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 72 of 96
    bb-15 said:

That's a shame. It's sad to hear when people lose data when getting a new iPhone because the iCloud backup didn't have everything. A good friend of mine lost multiple archived texts (on different messaging apps) when she traded in her old phone for a new iPhone. 
    - Stories like this over the years have made me pretty paranoid about my iPhone/iPad data. What I've done is that even though I get the iCloud backup on my new iOS device at the Apple Store, I also have another full backup through iTunes at home on my iMac. 
    I’m going to go back to the Apple store today and explain what happened so hopefully employees helping others set up their phone will remember to ask them about their watch if they have one.
  • Reply 73 of 96

I'm loving the iPhone X FaceID and and new navigation system!

My iPhone arrived late afternoon as I was about to toast with my friend Jacques... 

So, relaxed, I set out to see how far I could get without any preparatory reading/video.

Setup was virtually automatic using my iP7 Plus as a setup source and my iCloud backup for restoring.

Encouraged, I setup FaceID -- a breeze.

Then I just started using it!

I found it to be more intuitive than any device I've ever use except my binky.

Experimentation revealed how to perform the few navigation tasks that weren't obvious -- Of course! -- That's the way you should do it!

Later, I had a few issues with the Ring Camera app -- and, though I haven't used it yet, invoking ApplePay seems a little awkward (I think they the iPX should sense a nearby terminal and automatically launch ApplePay).

All-in-all it was a very natural and rewarding experience for these fat fingers and 78-year-old eyes...  Now, where's that binky?

pscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Cringeworthy article. It was very informative and useful, but it sounds like an Apple advertisement, which makes it hard to read and not roll your eyes. With so many Apple enthousiasts here, we don't need to be convinced of how great Apple is. 
    You don't know Daniel too well.  You need to read his prior articles.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member

I'm loving the iPhone X FaceID and and new navigation system!

My iPhone arrived late afternoon as I was about to toast with my friend Jacques... 

So, relaxed, I set out to see how far I could get without any preparatory reading/video.

Setup was virtually automatic using my iP7 Plus as a setup source and my iCloud backup for restoring.

Encouraged, I setup FaceID -- a breeze.

Then I just started using it!

I found it to be more intuitive than any device I've ever use except my binky.

Experimentation revealed how to perform the few navigation tasks that weren't obvious -- Of course! -- That's the way you should do it!

Later, I had a few issues with the Ring Camera app -- and, though I haven't used it yet, invoking ApplePay seems a little awkward (I think they the iPX should sense a nearby terminal and automatically launch ApplePay).

All-in-all it was a very natural and rewarding experience for these fat fingers and 78-year-old eyes...  Now, where's that binky?

Apple applies FaceID to Watch; disruption in wearables.

Profit!
  • Reply 76 of 96
    what an abomination of a phone: round corners makes it look like a LeapFrog, no home button, and the most abominable thing the cutout at the top all for $1000+ :))))
    had them all and upgraded faithfully every year, but this is the end of the cycle for me. Hopefully they come back to their senses next year!
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 77 of 96
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    bb-15 said:

I’m going to go back to the Apple store today and explain what happened so hopefully employees helping others set up their phone will remember to ask them about their watch if they have one.
    I exchanged mine for the other color today and while setting it up asked the guy helping me. He was indifferent when I asked about this. To clarify, you’re saying the unpairing process is what backs up the activity data? to where?
  • Reply 78 of 96

johnbear said:
    what an abomination of a phone: round corners makes it look like a LeapFrog, no home button, and the most abominable thing the cutout at the top all for $1000+ :))))
    had them all and upgraded faithfully every year, but this is the end of the cycle for me. Hopefully they come back to their senses next year!
     Cool story bro. Troll Score: 3 of 10
    LukeCagelkrupptmaypscooter63
  • Reply 79 of 96
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Next year I will pay $30,000 in premiums for my health insurance, which is equal to 20 iPhone X units at full retail price, including Apple Care and sales tax. I would say that the iPhone X is a lot more affordable than healthcare for me in the US. 
  • Reply 80 of 96
    bb-15 said:

If my Activity app shows data for days in the past, does that mean it transferred properly and isn't missing?