power "comsumption" of a 2-way Itanium/733 system...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What the-

Just saw this in an Acehardware article:

"And there is another concern: power comsumption. A 2-way Itanium/733 system needs an 800W power supply, but electricity is no longer so abundant as it once was in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam... "

Not trying to be a troll, but damn 800 W is a whole lot of juice! Can you imagine a scaled 10 processor version of this thing? (I could be wrong though, maybe it's just extra power to run oodles of raid SCSI in a server rack?)

<a href="http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000187"; target="_blank">http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000187</a>;

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Randycat99 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Wow, yeah a 800W power supply is a large one. I sure do hope intel has come up with a plan do get all that heat away from that processor and power supply. If a processor needs a 800W power supply, you could practically heat a house. That processor will be cooking in it's own silicon. 800W power supplies will also be very expensive. Over $500.

• Reply 2 of 7
    Well, really only 1/4 to 1/3 of that is for the CPU's themselves.

The rest is to account for things like multiple SCSI hard drives at 10K or 15K rpm; tens of gigabytes of RAM; an AGP Pro50 or Pro110 graphics card; multiple optical drives; and basically redundant everything.

It's basically there to absolutely make sure the system won't overload the PS. In reality, it won't even approach that amount, I think, even with all components running at max.

An 800MHz/4MB Itanium uses between 130 and 150 watts apiece; I forget exactly how much.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    By the way, maybe an admin or mod can answer this, but why do I have so much space in between my name and my Junior Member designation?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by TheAlmightyBabaramm:

<strong>By the way, maybe an admin or mod can answer this, but why do I have so much space in between my name and my Junior Member designation?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably that space is for you location, which is current empty.

Welcome to the void!

tsukurite
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Welcome to the void!<hr></blockquote>

Actually, He is the Keeper of the Void.

He will Own j00!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    It's no secret that Itanium is a failure even in Intel's own view.

And dude, over 100W for a chip is still an amazing amoung of power.

The original G3 had a 150W PSU, that has no problem feeding 2 IDE Harddrives, and IDE CD-ROM, an SCSI HD, an SCSI Zip, an SCSI Burner, a floppy, 3 extra fans, an overclocked voodoo3, a G4 466, a voodoo1 and rage2+ and ethernet PCI card 10/100, an AV card with all it's outputs and external devices such as an SCSI CD-ROM and a printer (both with their own PSU of course, but still need signal power).

That is about 50 W above what you cn actuall put into the case without tinkering and it still works.

Intel probably has good reason to put 800W in there.

G-news
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]The original G3 had a 150W PSU, that has no problem feeding 2 IDE Harddrives, and IDE CD-ROM, an SCSI HD, an SCSI Zip, an SCSI Burner, a floppy, 3 extra fans, an overclocked voodoo3, a G4 466, a voodoo1 and rage2+ and ethernet PCI card 10/100, an AV card with all it's outputs and external devices such as an SCSI CD-ROM and a printer (both with their own PSU of course, but still need signal power).<hr></blockquote>

Umm...are you sure about that? Have you seen it done in person? Just because it technically *should* certainly doesn't mean it can.

Isn't it funny that the 9600, which the G3 replaced, had a 390W power suckage? Wow! That's more than a lot of the über-AMD setups I've seen.