These low-cost wireless Qi chargers will juice your new iPhone X or iPhone 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    I really don’t care about Qi compliant. I do care about MFI compliant. We’re always hearing about cheap chargers screwing up iPhones and even causing fires. Why would cheap Qi chargers be any different? If I get an iPhone X I will make sure I get an MFI certified wireless charger. 
    As a point of fact, there is no MFi certification process for Qi chargers. Lightning and AC adapters - yes, Qi, no.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    there needs to be some way to pay apple if you're buying a charging pad for an xphone, it just doesn't seem fair otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    What explains these fairly remarkable price differenceswith the stuff that Apple sells in its store? Surely, just branding can't explain it? In fact most of these are cheaper than the standard Apple iOS device charging bricks. What's the catch?

Some of the ones above look wonderful, especially for the price. If it's really as good as the more expensive ones, I can see myself getting one each for the office, the study, the den, the bedroom...
    Try reading? Most of these are extremely low quality.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    lkrupp said:
    I really don’t care about Qi compliant. I do care about MFI compliant. We’re always hearing about cheap chargers screwing up iPhones and even causing fires. Why would cheap Qi chargers be any different? If I get an iPhone X I will make sure I get an MFI certified wireless charger. 
    This. I really want more info on this. I don’t understand why Apple would open up iPhone to being charged by these $9 chargers with no expectation of quality. I’m supposed to believe it is safe to use with iPhone just because the product listing says Qi?

At a bare minimum, I will not purchase any of them that don’t explicitly claim to support iPhone 8 / X.  You’ll have a much harder time recouping any losses if the product doesn’t explicitly point to support iPhone. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    What explains these fairly remarkable price differenceswith the stuff that Apple sells in its store? Surely, just branding can't explain it? In fact most of these are cheaper than the standard Apple iOS device charging bricks. What's the catch?

Some of the ones above look wonderful, especially for the price. If it's really as good as the more expensive ones, I can see myself getting one each for the office, the study, the den, the bedroom...
    Try reading? Most of these are extremely low quality.
    Oh, buzz off, and spend some time trying to develop some reading comprehension of your own, man. 5 versus 7.5? Do you know what my use case for such a charger would be, genius?

And btw, what the heck do you mean by 'quality'? Care to define it? Assuming you can...
    edited November 2017