iPhone X review: Apple's Face ID vision for the future of iOS

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    so the phone is lying on the desk and photos asked for the phone to be unlocked - does that mean I have to pick it up now - as opposed to before where I could just touch the home button?

so my wife and I can't share our phones anymore without having to enter a passcode and thats going to take time to appear?

what happens when I drop it - now its glass?

sounds like the designers of this phone have more style than substance and they techno nerds are too busy congratulating each other on how clever they are without actually thinking through the real world uses

another syncophantic fanboi review - not a single serious question asked

Apple under Tim Cook is more interested social issues than doing his actual job
  • Reply 82 of 96
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    k2kw said:

Next Year We will have IPhone 9 and 9plus based on design of 8/8plus and iPhone XI.  2019 will introduce IPhone XII and XIIplus.  2020 will be the Apple electric Car.
    I don't think that is what is going to happen. There's no where else for the iPhone 8 to go, I think that line is finished, next year there'll be two sizes of X and the same SE. People who do not want an X next year will not be unhappy with this year's 8. In 2019 we'll see the SE with an  A11 chip and the X's will be by that time on A13. Good times.
    argonaut
  • Reply 83 of 96
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Blunt said:
    Apple nailed it. You can tell by counting the trolls.
    You can tell by what actually happened in the market. I'll take Singapore as that's where I live. The pre-orders and telcom-orders were, as usual, dominated by scalpers buying the max of 2 units in the hope of making a quick buck. But Apple kept enough back for line-up that there was no point in paying over RRP, and with the flood of telcom (non-returnable) phones the scalper market collapsed. The scalpers returned their phones, Apple offered them same day for in-store pickup, most of the rest of the scalpers saw the game was up and returned them and lots of people didn't bother to pick up their telco sets (even less valuable as they couldn't be returned to Apple). It was a virtuous circle. 

A few, very few, made a quick buck. Most scalper phones were DHL delivered and hand-returned and then sold to real customers. 

Kudos to Apple for perfect pricing and the nimble-ness to get phones they knew would be returned intact back out for same-day pickup. The scalpers will try it again next year but the game is up, the more who play, the less anyone has a chance to win. Happy for all the real customers who picked up a phone this weekend at, or below, RRP, which they actually want to use. 
    argonautpscooter63
  • Reply 84 of 96
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    fmalloy said:
    "When Samsung copied Apple's early iPhone designs," Apple doesn't copy in this case - they just pay Samsung directly for their OLED displays, which Apple cannot design or manufacture.
    Sorry to put a crimp in the snark, but Apple designed the display, Sammy is just the manufacturer. No other company can simply buy the display off the shelf. Just like you can't buy an A11 Chip off the shelf.
    I'm genuinely curious about your statement. Do you have a link for that?

How did Apple spec an OLED possibly better than what Samsung offer in its own phones? That makes me very curious.

And Apple have said that the OLED in the X will suffer some burn-in over time (did they say the same about the Apple Watch?), so even Apple cannot engineer that characteristic out of OLED. Especially since people cling to iPhones easily for 3+ years.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    GG1 said:
    fmalloy said:
    "When Samsung copied Apple's early iPhone designs," Apple doesn't copy in this case - they just pay Samsung directly for their OLED displays, which Apple cannot design or manufacture.
    Sorry to put a crimp in the snark, but Apple designed the display, Sammy is just the manufacturer. No other company can simply buy the display off the shelf. Just like you can't buy an A11 Chip off the shelf.
    I'm genuinely curious about your statement. Do you have a link for that?

How did Apple spec an OLED possibly better than what Samsung offer in its own phones? That makes me very curious.

And Apple have said that the OLED in the X will suffer some burn-in over time (did they say the same about the Apple Watch?), so even Apple cannot engineer that characteristic out of OLED. Especially since people cling to iPhones easily for 3+ years.
    http://uspto.gov/

Apple has a lot of OLED patents. Samsung is just a manufacturer to Apple.

Anyway, for your enlightenment: iPhone X panels are built to order for Apple, they have the 3D Touch layer. Does Samsung have anything like that?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 86 of 96
    I thought I'd miss Touch ID, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Face ID. It actually is faster and has worked flawlessly for me so far.

In fact, the keynote video that introduced it sold it short. IIRC, they explained it as a three step process: look at the phone, wait for verification, then swipe up to open. In reality, you can skip the middle step, because either it happens before you even have time to wait for it, or if not it will happen after you swipe. After retraining myself not to wait for verification -- just look and swipe -- it's quick and natural.
    argonaut
  • Reply 87 of 96
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    so the phone is lying on the desk and photos asked for the phone to be unlocked - does that mean I have to pick it up now - as opposed to before where I could just touch the home button?

so my wife and I can't share our phones anymore without having to enter a passcode and thats going to take time to appear?

what happens when I drop it - now its glass?

sounds like the designers of this phone have more style than substance and they techno nerds are too busy congratulating each other on how clever they are without actually thinking through the real world uses

another syncophantic fanboi review - not a single serious question asked

Apple under Tim Cook is more interested social issues than doing his actual job
    Oh nos, having to enter your wife's passcode to enter her phone...just like how we had to do before touch ID. As for drops, who knows, every drop is different. But none of my 4 series phones needed repairs for glass. Tho if you recall it was easy to replace the rear glass panel so I'm not too worried about it. Cook is of course doing his job -- Apple has grown larger and is doing better by every metric than even under Jobs. Oops.

Meanwhile, I own the X and it's a goddam nice phone. I love the cool touch of the stainless steel band, the way it glistens in the light, the sharpness of the screen, of seamless bioauthentication, contextual computing that comes with Face ID, etc etc.. This thing is solid. Enjoy your knockoffs.

Your review of the review is poor. Troll Score: 3 of 10.
    pscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 88 of 96
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Rayz2016 said:
    "further expanding its role in defining affordable luxury in mobile devices." Luxury, OK. Affordable? Really? Even the 64GB comes to $1300 with AppleCare and tax.
    So what you’re saying is … no one can afford to buy this phone?

So no one at all has ordered one?

Perhap you meant that you can’t afford the phone. 
    All sold out in all my Apple stores in Minneapolis! If you consider, a 6s Plus was 999.- with 128GB 2 years ago, a iPhone X with 256GB is not really that much more expensive. Good work tools will have an expensive price tag. A 27" Mac isn't cheap either, but also worth every penny. 
  • Reply 89 of 96
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Next year All edge-to-edge with Face ID OLED iPhone XS(5.8"), Face ID OLED iPhone XS Plus(6+"), Face ID LCD iPhone 8S 4.7" and Face ID LCD iPhone 8S Plus 5.5",FACE ID iPhone SES 4".
  • Reply 90 of 96
    I found this article in Apple' support pages, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518 , guess I should unpair my watch before I get my Iphone X and change phones, but I always swap out phones at home, so I can make a backup on my Imac, then do a restore from back up from that, it seems to take the longest, bu that way I can insure I don't lose any data.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 91 of 96
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    IPhoneX: the phone of choice for men who can’t keep it zipped. 

http://news.sky.com/story/flight-diverted-after-woman-unlocks-husbands-phone-and-discovers-affair-11117184

Now, would he have remained asleep while she was trying to pry open his eyes?

And does FaceID work for people missing an eye?
    edited November 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 92 of 96
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple hardware chief said the iPhone X was 2018 product. So, curious why Apple just didn't put Face ID in LCD iPhone 8/Plus ? Hope in next year's iPhone consideration at the similar physical size and price point as current iPhone 8/Plus but without Home button,edge to edge screen. Notch is all good...
  • Reply 93 of 96
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Rayz2016 said:

http://news.sky.com/story/flight-diverted-after-woman-unlocks-husbands-phone-and-discovers-affair-11117184

Well, if he has a glass eye, it's the unless he swaps it, the physionomy doesn't from the one he registered with.
    If you have no eye at all, well then you stumped me.
    One eye, probably works fine I guess if that's what you registered with; always unlocking your phone with one eye closed in a specific way probably would be a bitch though.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple hardware chief said the iPhone X was 2018 product. So, curious why Apple just didn't put Face ID in LCD iPhone 8/Plus ? Hope in next year's iPhone consideration at the similar physical size and price point as current iPhone 8/Plus but without Home button,edge to edge screen. Notch is all good...
    Gruber posits that the new hardware components for Face ID cannot scale to the entire iphone market, thus they put it and the high end screen into the X only in order to lessen demand. Once they’re all good at cranking them out they can roll it out to more of the product line. 

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing

His is the most reasonable sounding thoughts on the matter. 
    edited November 2017 tmay
  • Reply 95 of 96
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Here’s my favourite comment from iMore. I’ve heard some cluelessness surrounding FaceID, but this one takes the biscuit:

I'm all for stamping down unfounded FUD, but in this instance it seems like a genuine security issue, especially for those of us with a rather generic face.

That’s right: FaceID won’t work for him because he has ‘a rather generic face’.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Rayz2016 said:

To Dawson Town came Percy Brown from London on the Thames.
    A pane of glass was in his eye, and stockings on his stems.