iPhone 8, iPhone X active use data suggests that the pair crush iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 first-...

Posted:
in iPhone
A new study about actual users of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X shows that combined adoption of the two models during the first few days of use as a percentage of the total user base is higher than that of the iPhone 6s or 7 at the same time in rollout.

According to analytics firm Localytics, the iPhone X achieved 0.93 percent of the total iPhone user share after only a weekend of use. The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus garnered 0.7 percent, pushing the pair over 1.6 percent.

For comparison, the iPhone 6s in 2015 captured 1 percent of the iPhone active user base, with the iPhone 6s Plus taking 0.3 percent. The iPhone 7 also seized 1 percent, with the tightly constrained iPhone 7 Plus seeing 0.2 percent of the active user base.

In 2014, the iPhone 6 captured 2 percent, with the iPhone 6 Plus collecting 0.3 percent.

What the percentages do not account for, and Localytics points out, is the growth in the iPhone user base over time. While the iPhone 6 saw the highest percentage of users in the first active week of use in 2014, there was a groundswell of users upgrading to the first larger form-factor iPhones produced -- and a smaller amount of total users than there are now.

Localytics expects that if Apple's predictions of a best-ever quarter are accurate, the iPhone X will grab more of the overall user base than previous models have.

The research firm based the 2017 data on 70 million iOS devices globally. The iPhone X data collection period was Nov. 3 to Nov. 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That’s good; hoping AAPL keeps trending up. 
    Bebewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Sold out every day so far in my Apple store in Edina. It's a really great phone, no wonder stock is soaring!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I’m thinking....90 billion rev Christmas quarter.

cali
  • Reply 4 of 8
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Based on the latest earning announcement, I am not that surprised. B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm surprised that Apple hasn't released first weekend unit sales numbers. Is this the first year they haven't done that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Soli said:
    I'm surprised that Apple hasn't released first weekend unit sales numbers. Is this the first year they haven't done that?
    Remember, Apple didn't do that anymore to avoid any stock manipulation since iPhone 7...well they said since "demands outweighed supplies", first week sales didn't represent the sale metric.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    Remember, Apple didn't do that anymore to avoid any stock manipulation since iPhone 7...well they said since "demands outweighed supplies", first week sales didn't represent the sale metric.
    Thanks. Thinking about it did occur to me that last year may have been the first year they stopped announced unit sales for the launch weekend.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    "What the percentages do not account for, and Localytics points out, is the growth in the iPhone user base over time. While the iPhone 6 saw the highest percentage of users in the first active week of use in 2014, there was a groundswell of users upgrading to the first larger form-factor iPhones produced —and a smaller amount of total users than there are now."

Impact of percentage comparisons based on installed base at different points in time.

iPhone 6/6 Plus first week share = 2.3% of installed base (387 million units), ergo - 8.901 million iPhone6/6 Plus units
    iPhone 8/8 Plus, 
    iPhone X first week share = 1.63% of installed base (762 million units), ergo - 12.420 million iPhone 8/8 Plus/ iPhone X units
    radarthekatjony0