SquareTrade iPhone X drop-test video disagrees with iFixit's repairability assessment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    I'm not sure why the "findings" of an insurance company whose only goal is to sell you on FUD are even being published on Apple blogs today. Sad.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    How about just be a smarter consumer and buy almost any kind of case for the phone? I’ve always purchased a case, have managed to drop multiple phones repeatedly and have not cracked a single screen yet.
    For me that did not help in the past... Even with the case, if your iPhone falls of your hand on the front screen face (which is 100% gonna happen sooner or later) then it brakes. And with X looks like even more likely. Which is bad!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    They sell insurance. They have a vested interest in making you think you’re new device is so fragile you just have to buy their insurance. And how many people drop their phones from 6 feet?

I agree, be careful when someone has a monitory interest in what they are telling you.

To your point about dropping from 6 ft, My son, got his new iPhone 6, and he immediately got an otter box for the phone, no sooner did he put the case on I hear something coming down our stairs which are hardwood. I walk out and see his phone on the floor. The phone bounced off each and ever step on the way down. It slipped out of his hand. Visually the phone was fine, but we discovered shortly after the phone would keep restarting. Found out the battery was knocked loose and something else was knocked loose since Apple ended up replacing the phone. They did their normal inspection and saw no signs of damage, the otter box did it job, but bouncing off 21 steps was not good for the phone. Stuff like this happen and I tell me kids all the time to be careful and protect it with their lives since I am not going to replace it for them. Since my kids now get new phones not hand-me-downs they never have broken a phone since. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 44
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    It depends on who does the drop test. 
    The YouTube tech channel PhoneBuff does very systematic phone drop tests.
    Their results? The iPhone X did better than the iPhone 8+. 

PS. The first 3 drop tests in the video are done from pocket height (a little over 3 feet or ~970 mm).

edited November 2017 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    A better assessment is from table height, pocket height or holding phone while standing height. I guess taking a picture height might be the highest usable point??? But for most that would put the phone drop height at 3-4' max...roughly. As some have said a corner protection or full case would be advisable if you are worried.
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cali said:
    The problem with cases is it obstructs the beauty and feel of iPhone.

Apple designs iPhone to look and feel amazing. I’ve notuced iPhone X feels better than any iPhone in the hand. It’s the perfect size and the whole iPhone feels like one solid piece of smooth glass. 

I find phones with aluminum backs such as my old 6S to be extremely slippery and very unusable. The 8 Plus I have now is better now that it has a glass back but its still slippery. Therefore, I use a case because it makes the phone easier to handle and protects it at the same time. 

On a side note, the AppleTV remote is the same way. The aluminum back makes it very slippery and more difficult to use than it should be. Not that we want to go down this road in this thread...just using the remote as another example of how aluminum can be very slippery. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 44
    JWSC said:

I’ve owned iPhones since 2009 (not an early adopter) and never used a case.  Dropped them a number of times on carpeted floors and a few times on sidewalks.  Aside from getting some metal on the corners slightly dented I’ve never had any appreciable damage to any of my iPhones.

The iPhone is designed to be held and for me it’s better without a case.  But your mileage may vary.  Each of us has to do what we think best.

I agree with this. I don't use a case (I use corner bling). I have owned every model of iPhone since the original and have yet to crack a screen. Using a case would make it a non issue also.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    jume said:
    How about just be a smarter consumer and buy almost any kind of case for the phone? I’ve always purchased a case, have managed to drop multiple phones repeatedly and have not cracked a single screen yet.
    For me that did not help in the past... Even with the case, if your iPhone falls of your hand on the front screen face (which is 100% gonna happen sooner or later) then it brakes. And with X looks like even more likely. Which is bad!
    Nearly every time I dropped my phone it ended up flat on the face. I don’t know why, but it never broke.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    I never used a case until the iPhone 6, which was too slim and slippery to hold confidently. I got an iPhone X and a case for it Friday, but with the additional size and heft, it felt easy enough to handle without a case. Then Saturday it was sitting on a slightly droopy shelf playing a podcast and when my back was turned, it slid off the shelf and fell about four feet to a linoleum floor. My heart stopped beating for a moment, but there is no visible damage of any kind. But I put the case on after that!

I think the large camera bump plus the slippery glass back plus vibrations from the speaker allowed it to literally "fly off the shelf."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    jbdragon said:
    I do have to say that for a phone that supposedly has the strongest glass ever, that it does seem to break quite easily!!! If Apple is going to advertise that, then I expect that. It's just not the case. The fact is the phone is fragile and costly to fix!!! It really looks like the phone needs a good case on it. You are in fact spending a lot of money on it. It supposedly has this super strong glass being used. I expected a whole lot better from it. I almost was going to get one to upgrade my iPhone 6, but thought better of it. Wait for the second generation version instead, and keep my iPhone 6 for a 4th year. My next iPhone will have a case. Just like the phone I have now has a case just because it was to thin and slippery.
    I'm sorry, where did Apple say their glass was not breakable? Strongest != unbreakable. It's glass. Glass shatters. Welcome to earth.

As for repairing the glass back, which is the only new glass element, if it's anything like the 4 it's pretty trivial.

bb-15king editor the grate
  • Reply 31 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    jume said:
    No, it's not 100% gonna happen. Has never happened to me in 10 years. What am I doing wrong??
    baconstangking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I’ve never cracked a front or back glass on an iPhone. My wife hasn’t either but I’ve made sure we use Tech 21 cases for ages. I know I’ve dropped my phone at least three or four times and I’ve watched my wife drop her 7+ a half dozen times. I know she has done worse away from me because she even commented about how that case REALLY works well. 

I prefer not to question or know about what prompted that response but needless to say, the cases have done well for us.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 44
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    maltz said:
    And how many people drop their phones from 6 feet?
    I like to carry my phone on top of my head.  #carryingitwrong
    New product idea!: sagittal crest adhesive. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Drop test is the dumbest test I've known in tech gadgets. Why they fcuk would anyone care about the damn drop test anyway? If you're not sure about your ability to handle a $1000+ device, you buy insurance for it or put it in the damn case. Regardless what kind of materials that a smartphone has, most drops will result in repairs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cali said:
    The problem with cases is it obstructs the beauty and feel of iPhone.

Apple designs iPhone to look and feel amazing. I’ve notuced iPhone X feels better than any iPhone in the hand. It’s the perfect size and the whole iPhone feels like one solid piece of smooth glass. 
    Thin, clear silicon cases would be okay. I have used them for years and my kid dropped my phones multiple times without an issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    I've dropped my caseless 5S a few times over the years, including on concrete, but it's only gotten a few dings. I have a system I call Being Careful.
    I know.  That's why I don't care about waterproof.  I've carried pocket electronics (starting with pagers in the '80s) and never got one wet.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    I've dropped my caseless 5S a few times over the years, including on concrete, but it's only gotten a few dings. I have a system I call Being Careful.
    I know.  That's why I don't care about waterproof.  I've carried pocket electronics (starting with pagers in the '80s) and never got one wet.
    Well, I have been caught in torrential downpours and frantically tried to save the ol' 5S, seemingly successfully.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    jume said:
    No, it's not 100% gonna happen. Has never happened to me in 10 years. What am I doing wrong??
    I simply don't believe you never dropped your iPhone in ten years... If you haven't keep doing it as it seems you are doing it right.

Don't know for elsewhere but in my country there are only 2 million people but we have like 20 iFixItTypeOfCompanies who live just from changing screens to iPhones. So just from this I would say it happens a lot. And it sure happened to me 4 times already. 

Apple claims iPhone X has the strongest glass ever, but looking at the video this just doesn't seems true to me. 

Insurance is the best thing you can get to your iPhone but to already monster price of X. I don't know... it's just nor worth it.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    OferOfer Posts: 240unconfirmed, member
    Consumer Reports (whom I trust a lot more, since they’re objective and don’t have a vested interest either way) performed a preliminary drop test on the iPhone X and found that it stood up just fine to bring dropped.

They haven’t released a full review yet, but this’ll serve for now.

so there you have it...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    ben20 said:
    Over the years I found out that Otterbox protects really well in harsh environments (kids, sports) while for daily use I stick to Apple silicone case. For me, they prevent dropping the phone since they are so sticky. There is a difference in the quality between silicone cases and Apple is by far the most expensive and well worth it to me.
    I too am an Otterbox fan although with the nature of my job I might switch to Lifeproof because it’s better water resistance. Otterbox is however much better than Lifeproof for those who need bash proofing.