Google quality assurance continues to struggle with some Pixel 2 XL shipping without Andro...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    I can’t say that I blame the phone. I don’t want to run Android either. 
    watto_cobramaestro64
  • Reply 42 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    GG1 said:
    maestro64 said:
    If your quality system can not catch the basic option of the phone, what else are they missing, I forgot Google does not have quality system , we are their quality system they need us consumers to tell them what they got wrong. Besides the privacy issue of doing business with anything google, this is the other reason I do not use google products, they expect me to do their work.

With that said, I doubt HTC got this wrong, I suspect the phones OS was corrupted after the tested the phone and this is what showed up, again it points back to Google lack of testing and quality control.
    Or maybe (I'm grasping gossamer strings here) Google/HTC test the phone with a different "test only" image of Android (diagnostics, etc.) and then wipe the phone before replacing it with the "consumer" image of Android. That is the only way I see this happening (besides your corruption idea).

Your are probably correct they are running test code on the phone until its final step which usually is to down load any logs generated by the test code, blow out the test code and load in-initialize OS and do a checksum on the software to know it loaded properly. As I said, error said it could not find a valid version of Android to load, so they are not doing the checksum step or the code was corrupted after the fact, which could be a simple as bad flash where the image is stored. May be HTC is getting hit with counterfeit flash memory or the buying the flash memory that not other OEM will buy since it at the bottom of the water fall parametric tests. No mater way it sign of no quality control.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    So glad I wasn't tempted to get this. Very poor showing so far, even if some of the issues might be overblown. When you have a high profile like Google it's to be expected that even little problems will get major press. Welcome to the world of smartphone production Google. :/  Hope it's worth it. 
    While I completely agree that the higher the profile (mindshare) that you get the larger a minor problem appears. However, not shipping with an OS seems like a pretty big QA gaffe. That along with other issues doesn't look good.

That said, these issues are fixable and they do keep making better smartphones, but the real proof of their expertise in this field is getting much higher unit numbers with even fewer QA issues per unit on average. 
    I doubt that the burn in issue with the Pixel 2 XL’s OLED screen is “fixable.” 

Google has a major problem. It consists of Samsung’s goal of migrating off of Android. 

Google, with products like these, isn’t closing the very large chasm that exists between themselves and Samsung. Samsung actually is pulling away from the other non iOS manufacturers and that trend continues to accelerate. Google has to do something, but they have an enormous amount of ground to make up. 

They wont be catching Samsung, ever, much less Apple. Google needs to shut down the effort. It is pointless for them to try and compete with Samsung and Apple in hardware. It is just a colossal waste of capital and resources. 

• Reply 44 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    So glad I wasn't tempted to get this. Very poor showing so far, even if some of the issues might be overblown. When you have a high profile like Google it's to be expected that even little problems will get major press. Welcome to the world of smartphone production Google. :/  Hope it's worth it. 
    While I completely agree that the higher the profile (mindshare) that you get the larger a minor problem appears. However, not shipping with an OS seems like a pretty big QA gaffe. That along with other issues doesn't look good.

That said, these issues are fixable and they do keep making better smartphones, but the real proof of their expertise in this field is getting much higher unit numbers with even fewer QA issues per unit on average. 
    I doubt that the burn in issue with the Pixel 2 XL’s OLED screen is “fixable.”
    Of course it's fixable. All they have to do is use better display technology on future models. Not exactly an insurmountable task.