SquareTrade iPhone X drop-test video disagrees with iFixit's repairability assessment

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I’ve had iPhones 4, 5 & 5s and only ever broken one screen, and never had a case. Only reason I broke the one is because I had been out with friends drinking & did something dumb. Once getting out of an F150 on a rainy day the 5 was on my lap. It fell into the wet parking lot face first. I didn’t even realize it and only realized it when I got back to the truck ~30min. I thought for sure the thing was screwed, but it was totally fine. I don’t even think I had a screen protector on it at that point. In my experience iPhones are pretty tough despite what all these scary stories say.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 42 of 44
    How about just be a smarter consumer and buy almost any kind of case for the phone? I’ve always purchased a case, have managed to drop multiple phones repeatedly and have not cracked a single screen yet.

Bingo!  I've never had an iPhone without a case on it, and I've never broken one, despite having dropped each onto various hard surfaces several times.

However, the statistics on breakage do serve a purpose.  They sell insurance.  Whether you think that's a good thing or not is not something I care to discuss. ;)

cornchip
  • Reply 43 of 44
    I have cracked the back of an iPhone 4 once just days after I got it in 2010. My only accident in 10 years.

But wow at the damage control here. I am an Apple fan but not a fanboy. Being the latter means Apple is NEVER guilty of anything.