Walmart Pay uses bizarre metric to claim its dominance over Apple Pay is approaching

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Last year I was at a Wal Mart and some lady used Wal Mart Pay. The cashier was surprised and said “that’s the first time I’ve seen anyone use that.”

Maybe they’ve had phenomenal growth in the past year but most likely they’re full of sh**. If ApplePay isn’t accepted at Wal Mart, how is this even a fair comparison? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's why you take these surveys with a grain of salt. You can manipulate data very easily to get the results you want. 

WMP is the number one mobile payment service used at Walmart by people who don't use apple pay or android pay. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Perfect story for this era of alternative facts.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    jungmark said:
    That's why you take these surveys with a grain of salt. You can manipulate data very easily to get the results you want. 

WMP is the number one mobile payment service used at Walmart by people who don't use apple pay or android pay. 
    fixed:

WMP is the number one mobile payment service used at Walmart, *where* people *can’t* use apple pay or android pay. 
    radarthekatcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Walmart: It is better to lie and keep working with outdated technology than being in the forefront of accepting ApplePay.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Are they actually trying to justify the purchase of CurrentC or trying to convince other retailers to adopt their system?
    I thought CurrentC shut down for good a few years ago.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/08/target-walmart-mobile-payments/

Is it still operating in some zombie way?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 54
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    xmhillx said:
    “There are apps for WalMart Pay on Android and iOS, and the customer must run the app and generate a QR code for the cashier to scan.

AppleInsider has used both WalMart Pay and Apple Pay.”

Wut. I’ve used both extensively. For Walmart Pay, the customer doesn’t have to generate a QR code for the cashier to then scan... what is Apple Insider using? The Walmart app I have lets you 3D Touch the app, swipe and let go on ‘Walmart Pay’, it asks for passcode or Touch ID or Face ID (presumably but I haven’t tried it since getting my iPhone X Nov 3rd), the camera comes up and you scan a QR code on the checkout screen you’re at, and that’s it. The checkout computer links to your walmart account and charges your credit card once you hit “I’m done” on the computer screen. There no paper receipt. I usually go to the self checkout so there’s no cashier to scan anything on my phone screen anyways. I get an electronic receipt and I submit the items I bought for an automatic price match feature that gives you credit when there’s lower prices somewhere else for the same item. It’s pretty sick. Apple Pay is way quicker for payment but Walmart Pay has electronic receipts stored in the app indefinitely and that’s quite convenient. And price match feature is kool though I only get like $10 back every 6 months, but hey it’s better than $0.

I just don’t get Apple Insider’s comment on a cashier needing to scan a QR code generated on your phone. What’s that about?
    It launched with the QR code scan, and that's when we tried it. Some WalMarts still need it, apparently.

That said, I'll re-try it this weekend, see if it's gotten any faster.
    Oh really. I’ve never seen that version and I’ve been using it since it was announced in store. I’m perplexed.

I tried finding a decent demonstration video on YouTube so I can show you how it’s used, and as usual most people on YouTube don’t seem to use technology to it’s optimum convenience. So here’s an in-depth run down on the way I believe it’s best used.

As I approach the self checkout or manned cashier, I take out my iPhone from my left pocket with my left hand and I only use one hand for the entire process (most people wait till the end to scan the QR code but that’s a waste of time, you can prepare Walmart Pay before getting to the cashier and scan the QR code before scanning your items. Or if you’re at a manned cashier, scan the QR code while the cashier is scanning your items. Most ppl don’t know you can swipe your credit card while the cashier is scanning your items, you don’t have to wait till the end when the cashier is finished scanning your items, and it’s no different for Walmart Pay). I unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I’m bringing up the phone so I can look at it, the phone unlocks before I’m ready to interact with it. I 3D Touch the Walmart app, and without letting go I swipe and release on the “Walmart Pay” 3D Touch menu selection, the app opens on the Walmart Pay screen and waits for my Touch ID authentication and I already have my thumb on Touch ID in anticipation. It authenticates and the app uses the camera and wants you to scan the QR barcode at the checkout screen, so you do that and it’s faster if you’re already at this step before you’re in front of the cashier screen so you can quickly bring up your phone to the QR code and BAM.. Now you can put your phone back into your pocket as it’s not needed any further. The checkout computer links to your Walmart account, it says “welcome YOUR NAME”, you scan your items, and when done hit Checkout or I’m Done on the checkout computer screen, and you can start walking away since the system will say “Thank you for shopping at Walmart, your e-receipt has been sent.”

I have to go into detail because nobody on YouTube seems to demonstrate the most efficient way. They’re all either clunky or terrible or don’t demonstrate from the beginning; they start with the app already open and navigate to Walmart pay and don’t do 3D Touch. It’s like people demonstrating Apple Pay by unlocking the phone and opening the Walllet app, or even double clicking the home button from the lock screen to open Apple Pay; those are both unnecessary because you can place the unlocked iPhone with the black screen next to the NFC reader and it auto detects the terminal and brings up Apple Pay and if you’re thumb is already on Touch ID when you brought the phone up to the reader, the transaction is seamless. No double clicking or button pressing or unlocking necessary. 
    edited November 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 54
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    slurpy said:
    Then again, I'm in Canada and for some reason the US is shockingly backwards in this regard. I was stunned when I was forced to swipe my card (no chip and pin) first time I used a gas station there after crossing the border. Didn't even remember how to do it. 
    Yes, the CC companies in the USA are idiots on this. Almost every article I read about skimmers being found at retail locations now are at gas pumps. The CC companies have given gas stations several years to come into compliance with chip readers so nearly all of them still have swipe at the pump. The CC companies still take the hit if fraud occurs at the gas station pumps. And for some insane reason they also went with chip + signature in the US instead of chip + PIN. Like a signature adds security...
    Ofercolinngcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:
    “There are apps for WalMart Pay on Android and iOS, and the customer must run the app and generate a QR code for the cashier to scan.

Wut. I’ve used both extensively. For Walmart Pay, the customer doesn’t have to generate a QR code for the cashier to then scan... what is Apple Insider using? The Walmart app I have lets you 3D Touch the app, swipe and let go on ‘Walmart Pay’, it asks for passcode or Touch ID or Face ID (presumably but I haven’t tried it since getting my iPhone X Nov 3rd), the camera comes up and you scan a QR code on the checkout screen you’re at, and that’s it. The checkout computer links to your walmart account and charges your credit card once you hit “I’m done” on the computer screen. There no paper receipt. I usually go to the self checkout so there’s no cashier to scan anything on my phone screen anyways. I get an electronic receipt and I submit the items I bought for an automatic price match feature that gives you credit when there’s lower prices somewhere else for the same item. It’s pretty sick. Apple Pay is way quicker for payment but Walmart Pay has electronic receipts stored in the app indefinitely and that’s quite convenient. And price match feature is kool though I only get like $10 back every 6 months, but hey it’s better than $0.

I just don’t get Apple Insider’s comment on a cashier needing to scan a QR code generated on your phone. What’s that about?
    It launched with the QR code scan, and that's when we tried it. Some WalMarts still need it, apparently.

Oh really. I’ve never seen that version and I’ve been using it since it was announced in store. I’m perplexed.

I tried finding a decent demonstration video on YouTube so I can show you how it’s used, and as usual most people on YouTube don’t seem to use technology to it’s optimum convenience. So here’s an in-depth run down on the way I believe it’s best used.

As I approach the self checkout or manned cashier, I take out my iPhone from my left pocket with my left hand and I only use one hand for the entire process (most people wait till the end to scan the QR code but that’s a waste of time, you can prepare Walmart Pay before getting to the cashier and scan the QR code before scanning your items. Or if you’re at a manned cashier, scan the QR code while the cashier is scanning your items. Most ppl don’t know you can swipe your credit card while the cashier is scanning your items, you don’t have to wait till the end when the cashier is finished scanning your items, and it’s no different for Walmart Pay). I unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I’m bringing up the phone so I can look at it, the phone unlocks before I’m ready to interact with it. I 3D Touch the Walmart app, and without letting go I swipe and release on the “Walmart Pay” 3D Touch menu selection, the app opens on the Walmart Pay screen and waits for my Touch ID authentication and I already have my thumb on Touch ID in anticipation. It authenticates and the app uses the camera and wants you to scan the QR barcode at the checkout screen, so you do that and it’s faster if you’re already at this step before you’re in front of the cashier screen so you can quickly bring up your phone to the QR code and BAM.. Now you can put your phone back into your pocket as it’s not needed any further. The checkout computer links to your Walmart account, it says “welcome YOUR NAME”, you scan your items, and when done hit Checkout or I’m Done on the checkout computer screen, and you can start walking away since the system will say “Thank you for shopping at Walmart, your e-receipt has been sent.”

I have to go into detail because nobody on YouTube seems to demonstrate the most efficient way. They’re all either clunky or terrible or don’t demonstrate from the beginning; they start with the app already open and navigate to Walmart pay and don’t do 3D Touch. It’s like people demonstrating Apple Pay by unlocking the phone and opening the Walllet app, or even double clicking the home button from the lock screen to open Apple Pay; those are both unnecessary because you can place the unlocked iPhone with the black screen next to the NFC reader and it auto detects the terminal and brings up Apple Pay and if you’re thumb is already on Touch ID when you brought the phone up to the reader, the transaction is seamless. No double clicking or button pressing or unlocking necessary. 
    Wow. 326 words to describe the most efficient WP process.
    StrangeDaysradarthekatcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet more proof that Apple is the top dog. When a giant like Walmart thinks it has to beat Apple then you know they accept Apple as the top dog. Same goes for Samsung’s recent Apple mocking video. Samsung knows Apple is the one to strive to beat. All the big companies have Apple in their sites because Apple dominates the landscape. Hell, some analysts are predicting the iPhone X is going to put a crimp in overall Christmas spending with people cutting back spending on other stuff so they can buy the X. It’s good to be the King.
    Soliradarthekatcaliwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 31 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Yet more proof that Apple is the top dog. When a giant like Walmart thinks it has to beat Apple then you know they accept Apple as the top dog. Same goes for Samsung’s recent Apple mocking video. Samsung knows Apple is the one to strive to beat. All the big companies have Apple in their sites because Apple dominates the landscape. Hell, some analysts are predicting the iPhone X is going to put a crimp in overall Christmas spending with people cutting back spending on other stuff so they can buy the X. It’s good to be the King.
    Excellent point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

Gotta be specific and nuanced so ppl don’t end up butchering it, like people who unlock their phones and open the wallet app just to use Apple Pay, using two hands, and they wait until the cashier is finished scanning the items before they pay with Apple Pay. Drives me nuts. 
  • Reply 33 of 54
    xmhillx said:
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

Gotta be specific and nuanced so ppl don’t end up butchering it, like people who unlock their phones and open the wallet app just to use Apple Pay, using two hands, and they wait until the cashier is finished scanning the items before they pay with Apple Pay. Drives me nuts. 
    There are terminals that won't let you input your digital payment or won't register the payment process start until after all the items  are scanned and the cashier does some maneuver with the buttons to create a total, and then there's the potential for a wrong amount which may require a void which may require a manager to come over, so I'm fine with waiting until after all the items are scanned before submitting a payment, but I do hate when people don't even ready their payment ready before they hear an amount. I don't mean not having the card part way into the chip reader, but when they have to go digging into a purse and/or wallet, and then can't find what they need within the clutter, and even then need to make a decision about which card or other type of payment they want to use as if this is the very time at a grocery store.
    edited November 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 34 of 54
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    macxpress said:
    Sounds to me like they're just trying to make a case as to why they don't need ApplePay. Personally, I refuse to use Walmart Pay. I'm not going to support a company that just doesn't want to use something others do which could potentially start Target Pay, JCPenny Pay, Sears Pay, etc, etc.
    JCPenney is on board with Apple Pay, you can even put their store card in it.
    edited November 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Cherry picking data to influence the result to favor your own product usually don’t end well. It’s blinding ones self to reality—not usually good for business. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 54
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple pay is used much more.  They also left out Android pay and Samsung Pay.  Really any other NFC payment method.  I find that funny.  I've never used a QR code to pay for anything and never will.  The last thing I want is to be forced to use a app for each place I shop at so I can use their QR code garbage.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    jbdragon said:
    Apple pay is used much more.  They also left out Android pay and Samsung Pay.  Really any other NFC payment method.  I find that funny.  I've never used a QR code to pay for anything and never will.  The last thing I want is to be forced to use a app for each place I shop at so I can use their QR code garbage.
    The benefit of Apple Pay on your iPhone is that it appears when you present it to an NFC reader. Even on the Apple Watch a simple double tap of the button brings it up. I'm definitely not going to manually go into any app so I can bring up their payment system. If this is how Apple's Wallet app worked for Apple Pay I'd certainly use Apple Pay less.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 54
    slurpy said:
    “that garbage click whore site.”
    Got a good chuckle out of that one. Thanks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    I started using apple pay a lot more and it is much easier than using a card. I still get a paper check from a cashier, but I don't have to touch that terminal and try to figure out which button to push in order to make the magic happen. I just pull out the phone, bring it next to the pay terminal, double click the home button, done. That takes like 4-5 seconds and feels A LOT faster than paying with a card.
    edited November 2017 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    unphocus said:
    Cherry picking data to influence the result to favor your own product usually don’t end well. It’s blinding ones self to reality—not usually good for business. 
    ThIs. 

watto_cobra