Walmart Pay uses bizarre metric to claim its dominance over Apple Pay is approaching

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    NemWan said:
    macxpress said:
    Sounds to me like they're just trying to make a case as to why they don't need ApplePay. Personally, I refuse to use Walmart Pay. I'm not going to support a company that just doesn't want to use something others do which could potentially start Target Pay, JCPenny Pay, Sears Pay, etc, etc.
    JCPenney is on board with Apple Pay, you can even put their store card in it.
    Yes I know...that wasn't my point though. 
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 42 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jungmark said:
    That's why you take these surveys with a grain of salt. You can manipulate data very easily to get the results you want. 

WMP is the number one mobile payment service used at Walmart by people who don't use Apple Pay. 
    That’s exactly how it reads when you look closely.

5% of all people who have the option to use Wal Mart Pay use it, 0% of all people who don’t have the option of using Apple Pay use Apple Pay.

Now how about you open your terminals to Apple Pay, Wal Mart. Let’s see what the numbers say. 
    edited November 2017 watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 43 of 54
    I started using apple pay a lot more and it is much easier than using a card. I still get a paper check from a cashier, but I don't have to touch that terminal and try to figure out which button to push in order to make the magic happen. I just pull out the phone, bring it next to the pay terminal, double click the home button, done. That takes like 4-5 seconds and feels A LOT faster than paying with a card.
    Try not double clicking the home button. The iPhone auto detects the NFC reader when it’s like 1-3 inches away and wakes up to the Apple Pay screen waiting for authentication with your default card. No need to double click the home button. Even less steps and effort if you take advantage of the auto NFC reader detection. 
    watto_cobracornchipcali
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Soli said:
    xmhillx said:
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:
    “There are apps for WalMart Pay on Android and iOS, and the customer must run the app and generate a QR code for the cashier to scan.

AppleInsider has used both WalMart Pay and Apple Pay.”

Wut. I’ve used both extensively. For Walmart Pay, the customer doesn’t have to generate a QR code for the cashier to then scan... what is Apple Insider using? The Walmart app I have lets you 3D Touch the app, swipe and let go on ‘Walmart Pay’, it asks for passcode or Touch ID or Face ID (presumably but I haven’t tried it since getting my iPhone X Nov 3rd), the camera comes up and you scan a QR code on the checkout screen you’re at, and that’s it. The checkout computer links to your walmart account and charges your credit card once you hit “I’m done” on the computer screen. There no paper receipt. I usually go to the self checkout so there’s no cashier to scan anything on my phone screen anyways. I get an electronic receipt and I submit the items I bought for an automatic price match feature that gives you credit when there’s lower prices somewhere else for the same item. It’s pretty sick. Apple Pay is way quicker for payment but Walmart Pay has electronic receipts stored in the app indefinitely and that’s quite convenient. And price match feature is kool though I only get like $10 back every 6 months, but hey it’s better than $0.

I just don’t get Apple Insider’s comment on a cashier needing to scan a QR code generated on your phone. What’s that about?
    It launched with the QR code scan, and that's when we tried it. Some WalMarts still need it, apparently.

That said, I'll re-try it this weekend, see if it's gotten any faster.
    Oh really. I’ve never seen that version and I’ve been using it since it was announced in store. I’m perplexed.

I tried finding a decent demonstration video on YouTube so I can show you how it’s used, and as usual most people on YouTube don’t seem to use technology to it’s optimum convenience. So here’s an in-depth run down on the way I believe it’s best used.

As I approach the self checkout or manned cashier, I take out my iPhone from my left pocket with my left hand and I only use one hand for the entire process (most people wait till the end to scan the QR code but that’s a waste of time, you can prepare Walmart Pay before getting to the cashier and scan the QR code before scanning your items. Or if you’re at a manned cashier, scan the QR code while the cashier is scanning your items. Most ppl don’t know you can swipe your credit card while the cashier is scanning your items, you don’t have to wait till the end when the cashier is finished scanning your items, and it’s no different for Walmart Pay). I unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I’m bringing up the phone so I can look at it, the phone unlocks before I’m ready to interact with it. I 3D Touch the Walmart app, and without letting go I swipe and release on the “Walmart Pay” 3D Touch menu selection, the app opens on the Walmart Pay screen and waits for my Touch ID authentication and I already have my thumb on Touch ID in anticipation. It authenticates and the app uses the camera and wants you to scan the QR barcode at the checkout screen, so you do that and it’s faster if you’re already at this step before you’re in front of the cashier screen so you can quickly bring up your phone to the QR code and BAM.. Now you can put your phone back into your pocket as it’s not needed any further. The checkout computer links to your Walmart account, it says “welcome YOUR NAME”, you scan your items, and when done hit Checkout or I’m Done on the checkout computer screen, and you can start walking away since the system will say “Thank you for shopping at Walmart, your e-receipt has been sent.”

I have to go into detail because nobody on YouTube seems to demonstrate the most efficient way. They’re all either clunky or terrible or don’t demonstrate from the beginning; they start with the app already open and navigate to Walmart pay and don’t do 3D Touch. It’s like people demonstrating Apple Pay by unlocking the phone and opening the Walllet app, or even double clicking the home button from the lock screen to open Apple Pay; those are both unnecessary because you can place the unlocked iPhone with the black screen next to the NFC reader and it auto detects the terminal and brings up Apple Pay and if you’re thumb is already on Touch ID when you brought the phone up to the reader, the transaction is seamless. No double clicking or button pressing or unlocking necessary. 
    Wow. 326 words to describe the most efficient WP process.
    Gotta be specific and nuanced so ppl don’t end up butchering it, like people who unlock their phones and open the wallet app just to use Apple Pay, using two hands, and they wait until the cashier is finished scanning the items before they pay with Apple Pay. Drives me nuts. 
    There are terminals that won't let you input your digital payment or won't register the payment process start until after all the times are scanned and the cashier does some maneuver with the buttons to create a total, and then there's the potential for a wrong amount which may require a void which may require a manager to come over, so I'm fine with waiting until after all the items are scanned before submitting a payment, but I do hate when people don't even ready their payment before they hear an amount.
    That’s true too. Good point to consider. 👍
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 54
    “....aggravated by assorted bar graphs in the study that are the same size, but use different scales.”

AKA Walmart lying with statistics and most likely lying to their C-level execs as well.

watto_cobracornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 46 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:
    “There are apps for WalMart Pay on Android and iOS, and the customer must run the app and generate a QR code for the cashier to scan.

Wut. I’ve used both extensively. For Walmart Pay, the customer doesn’t have to generate a QR code for the cashier to then scan... what is Apple Insider using? The Walmart app I have lets you 3D Touch the app, swipe and let go on ‘Walmart Pay’, it asks for passcode or Touch ID or Face ID (presumably but I haven’t tried it since getting my iPhone X Nov 3rd), the camera comes up and you scan a QR code on the checkout screen you’re at, and that’s it. The checkout computer links to your walmart account and charges your credit card once you hit “I’m done” on the computer screen. There no paper receipt. I usually go to the self checkout so there’s no cashier to scan anything on my phone screen anyways. I get an electronic receipt and I submit the items I bought for an automatic price match feature that gives you credit when there’s lower prices somewhere else for the same item. It’s pretty sick. Apple Pay is way quicker for payment but Walmart Pay has electronic receipts stored in the app indefinitely and that’s quite convenient. And price match feature is kool though I only get like $10 back every 6 months, but hey it’s better than $0.

I just don’t get Apple Insider’s comment on a cashier needing to scan a QR code generated on your phone. What’s that about?
    It launched with the QR code scan, and that's when we tried it. Some WalMarts still need it, apparently.

Oh really. I’ve never seen that version and I’ve been using it since it was announced in store. I’m perplexed.

I tried finding a decent demonstration video on YouTube so I can show you how it’s used, and as usual most people on YouTube don’t seem to use technology to it’s optimum convenience. So here’s an in-depth run down on the way I believe it’s best used.

As I approach the self checkout or manned cashier, I take out my iPhone from my left pocket with my left hand and I only use one hand for the entire process (most people wait till the end to scan the QR code but that’s a waste of time, you can prepare Walmart Pay before getting to the cashier and scan the QR code before scanning your items. Or if you’re at a manned cashier, scan the QR code while the cashier is scanning your items. Most ppl don’t know you can swipe your credit card while the cashier is scanning your items, you don’t have to wait till the end when the cashier is finished scanning your items, and it’s no different for Walmart Pay). I unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I’m bringing up the phone so I can look at it, the phone unlocks before I’m ready to interact with it. I 3D Touch the Walmart app, and without letting go I swipe and release on the “Walmart Pay” 3D Touch menu selection, the app opens on the Walmart Pay screen and waits for my Touch ID authentication and I already have my thumb on Touch ID in anticipation. It authenticates and the app uses the camera and wants you to scan the QR barcode at the checkout screen, so you do that and it’s faster if you’re already at this step before you’re in front of the cashier screen so you can quickly bring up your phone to the QR code and BAM.. Now you can put your phone back into your pocket as it’s not needed any further. The checkout computer links to your Walmart account, it says “welcome YOUR NAME”, you scan your items, and when done hit Checkout or I’m Done on the checkout computer screen, and you can start walking away since the system will say “Thank you for shopping at Walmart, your e-receipt has been sent.”

I have to go into detail because nobody on YouTube seems to demonstrate the most efficient way. They’re all either clunky or terrible or don’t demonstrate from the beginning; they start with the app already open and navigate to Walmart pay and don’t do 3D Touch. It’s like people demonstrating Apple Pay by unlocking the phone and opening the Walllet app, or even double clicking the home button from the lock screen to open Apple Pay; those are both unnecessary because you can place the unlocked iPhone with the black screen next to the NFC reader and it auto detects the terminal and brings up Apple Pay and if you’re thumb is already on Touch ID when you brought the phone up to the reader, the transaction is seamless. No double clicking or button pressing or unlocking necessary. 
    And not one word about how it compares to Apple Pay’s superior security and privacy protections.
    cornchip
  • Reply 47 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

And not one word about how it compares to Apple Pay’s superior security and privacy protections.
    It's certainly less convenient than Apple Pay, which is almost always the biggest issue with getting customers to adopt a service, but knowing if it's as secure and has the same protections that CC's do for stolen payments would be great. Is there app even passcode or Touch ID/Face ID protected?

If it's like CurrentC, then they'll want you to link a card or bank account to their service which will hold that account data. That's not the secure way that Apple, Google, Samsung and other now do it, as you know. If that's how Walmart is doing it then it sounds like the rampant theft of stolen cards and accounts that help prop up their sales are still going to happen. Hell, it may be why they're doing it as chip cards make it harder to use only card swipes.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

It's certainly less convenient than Apple Pay, which is almost always the biggest issue with getting customers to adopt a service, but knowing if it's as secure and has the same protections that CC's do for stolen payments would be great. Is there app even passcode or Touch ID/Face ID protected?

If it's like CurrentC, then they'll want you to link a card or bank account to their service which will hold that account data. That's not the secure way that Apple, Google, Samsung and other now do it, as you know. If that's how Walmart is doing it then it sounds like the rampant theft of stolen cards and accounts that help prop up their sales are still going to happen. Hell, it may be why they're doing it as chip cards make it harder to use only card swipes.
    Thats one of the disadvantages: in the US, by directly linking to the consumer's bank account, the customer is liable for fraud. WalmartPay isn't a virtual CC with the accompanying consumer protections.

Whilst the App is a risk (eg modified, fraudulent Google play version that steals details accidentally being downloaded), the real issue is the POS system - Apple Pay gives you a lot of protection even if the POS is compromised.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 49 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    xmhillx said:
    I started using apple pay a lot more and it is much easier than using a card. I still get a paper check from a cashier, but I don't have to touch that terminal and try to figure out which button to push in order to make the magic happen. I just pull out the phone, bring it next to the pay terminal, double click the home button, done. That takes like 4-5 seconds and feels A LOT faster than paying with a card.
    Try not double clicking the home button. The iPhone auto detects the NFC reader when it’s like 1-3 inches away and wakes up to the Apple Pay screen waiting for authentication with your default card. No need to double click the home button. Even less steps and effort if you take advantage of the auto NFC reader detection. 
    Yes he added an extra step. The other day I just laid my iPhone on the terminal it looked so cool.

uroshnor said:
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

Thats one of the disadvantages: in the US, by directly linking to the consumer's bank account, the customer is liable for fraud. WalmartPay isn't a virtual CC with the accompanying consumer protections.

Whilst the App is a risk (eg modified, fraudulent Google play version that steals details accidentally being downloaded), the real issue is the POS system - Apple Pay gives you a lot of protection even if the POS is compromised.

When Apple Pay was announced I suggested Apple buy Vodaphone the company that makes most of these crappy POS systems. Apple could supply new versions for free to all businesses with the Apple Pay logo stamped on them. This would have sped up adoption and fixed so many headaches and enticed businesses to upgrade for FREE.
    aside from that it would have permanently allowed iPad to be the leading POS system of choice.

I was at the Apple Store and they have iPhones connected to these huge clunky looking Vodaphone devices. It reminded me of why Apple should have purchased them. 

• Reply 50 of 54
    maestro64 said:
    Are they actually trying to justify the purchase of CurrentC or trying to convince other retailers to adopt their system?

i think it is the second item, they trying to say their system is just as good as what Apple is doing, if Walmart is seeing 5% uptake,  other stores could see the same if not better than Apple pay so they can move to what Walmart is doing and cut out the CC companies and get their money directly from consumer bank accounts.
    Walmart Pay allows for credit cards and has the added incentive of giving you Walmart bucks if you buy something that is selling for less at a competitor that advertised the lower price. 

That is is enough to make it worthwhile at Walmart.  

And you scan the code that appears on the credit card terminal, you don’t produce it for the cashier.  You can do it at any point while checking out (only at the end for self checkout I think).  

And yes, Apple customers shop at Walmart.  Lower prices drive capitalism.  Not everyone can afford to subsidize less efficient operations and no, a boycott won’t change corporate labor practices.  You need regulation for that.  Most poor people have no choice but to shop where items are the least expensive. 
  • Reply 51 of 54
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    xmhillx said:
    xmhillx said:

So Walmart Pay isn’t nearly as secure as Apple Pay, but more secure than CurrentC... slightly. For example, CurrentC was going to only allow a linked checking account at a users bank; no credit cards. Credit cards have much more fraudulent protections than direct checking account links I believe. But the Walmart Pay function of the Walmart app lets you link credit cards, debit cards, gift cards, and won’t let you link a checking account as it’s not an option. 

The Walmart App isn’t passcode, touch id, or Face ID protected when opening it (but trying to use Walmart Pay is passcode or Face ID/Touch ID protected). I can open my Walmart app, and go into my account page, and it shows my full name, address, last four numbers on the credit card I linked, and expiration date. However, Walmart Pay doesn’t transfer any of that information to the terminal that would then transfer to the Walmart headquarters servers or whatever; if someone would to intercept the communication they would get useless data to a thief similar to how it works on Apple Pay. BUT, your info is stored behind “ Walmart firewalls” so presumably on their servers somewhere. So that’s not nearly as secure as the secure onclave in your iPhone and the Apple Pay ecosystem in its entirety. But if it’s any consolation it’s not as bad as CurrentC wanted to be. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 52 of 54
    I've just come back from a fly/drive tour of California/Nevada and used ApplePay exclusively on my Apple Watch, to the point where I didn't need to use my physical card once!  It was quite surprising to me how many people in stores, including big name places Starbucks and a Wendy's, had never seen anyone use the Apple Watch to pay before!
  • Reply 53 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Walmart: It is better to lie and keep working with outdated technology than being in the forefront of accepting ApplePay.

It not about the Tech, it is about Walmart garnering another 2% to 3% in profits, They have taken cost out everywhere they can at this point, and this is one of the last things left where they are not getting every last penny. Even time a customer swipes a CC Wal-Mart loose 2% to 3% of that transaction. They also rather the cashier not handle cash as their title implies, cash transactions can be problematic with the size of Wal-mart. Problem is most of their customer do not have bank accounts. The next thing you will see from Wal-mart if banking and check cashing service. 
  • Reply 54 of 54
    tmiwtmiw Posts: 8member
    gremlin said:
    I've just come back from a fly/drive tour of California/Nevada and used ApplePay exclusively on my Apple Watch, to the point where I didn't need to use my physical card once!  It was quite surprising to me how many people in stores, including big name places Starbucks and a Wendy's, had never seen anyone use the Apple Watch to pay before!
    I'd be curious to know what stores you went to because I still don't have nearly that much success. If it's not the store/restaurant not supporting it at all, it's poor training or the terminal not being accessible at all or a bunch of other reasons I ranted on Twitter about recently.  :|