Video: All iPhone X gestures and interactions in under 5 minutes

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
The home button is now a thing of the past with Apple's flagship iPhone X, leaving users with new gestures and interactions to get the job done. AppleInsider shows you all of the new iPhone X gestures and interactions, including Reachability Mode.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    The restart/SOS interface also allows you to access Medical ID, which apparently isn't set up on your demo phone
    peterhartStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 15
    New gesture: double or triple finger down to return to top of page: docs, browser windows ...

• Reply 3 of 15
    mtanika said:
    New gesture: double or triple finger down to return to top of page: docs, browser windows ...

This doesn’t appear to work for me. Can you be more clear? Also, a single tap at the top of a browser window, iMessage thread, etc brings me back to the top, but that isn’t new.
    peterhart
  • Reply 4 of 15
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I'm glad you mentioned the one-handed thing in the video, because it doesn't look like it would be easy to do. Certainly not as intuitive as the home button, but learnable after a few days of practice, I suppose.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    This video is proof of what I have experienced. I’m on my iPhone X for two days now. I have to say Apple has done it again! Apple has evolved their user-interface, by removing the home button/Touch ID (always an extra step), replacing it with a fun, easy to use, fluid, card-deck like, gesture interface. Its been extremely easy to learn, and intuitive to use. It will become instantly familiar to 900 million and growing iOS users. Face ID will disappear to the user, providing very secure user-authentication, and eliminating an extra step, while Not slowing you down or getting in the way. ...ALL future mobile devices will incorporate Face ID, as they copy and catch up. Face ID is learning my face and face gestures, by forcing me to enter my passcode to affirm my face, when sideways, contorted, grimaced, strained, etc., but still my face. As the neural engine learns, its asking me less and less, as it Knows my face, more and more ….pretty cool. In just a a version or two, in less than a couple years, everyone will look back at Touch ID as dated, transitional, authentication technology. and A Dedicated Home Button, as juvenile UI. Kudos Apple !
    edited November 2017 rattlhed
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    For all of you iPhone X owners (like myself), don't forget that Apple will be offering you a free online session to answer any questions, talk about new features and offer tips. 

edited November 2017
  • Reply 7 of 15
    andyorkneyandyorkney Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    The gesture for reachability is a quick double flick of the “Home bar” at bottom of screen.

Another obvious gesture not shown (perhaps too obvious) is taping to the left of the notch (time!) to scroll to top in safari etc 

At the moment I’m missing the ability to go to full screen in lots of apps and 3rd party browsers, can’t wait for them to be updated because in some apps I’m missing my Plus sized screen!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Here is a gesture situation to be aware of:

Sometimes when running games I discovered that the swipe up from the bottom gesture stopped working. I had to do a hard reboot of my iPhone X to get out of the app. I contacted Apple tech support chat and they had no idea what is going on. 

I eventually discovered what the problem is:

When an app runs exclusively in landscape mode (a common behavior with games) the swipe up from the bottom gesture MOVES TO THE LANDSCAPE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. Meaning if you are holding your iPhone X in portrait/normal position, swipe up from the bottom no longer is available. You need to swipe from left to right to achieve swipe up from the bottom (or rotate your iPhone X to landscape position and swipe up).

As as stupid as this sounds, it not necessarily obvious that the entire iPhone X gesture system changes to landscape for landscape apps. Apple should update iOS 11 to allow portrait position swipe-up-from-the-bottom to continue to function with landscape-only apps. Currently it does not. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 9 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    The gesture for reachability is a quick double flick of the “Home bar” at bottom of screen.

Another obvious gesture not shown (perhaps too obvious) is taping to the left of the notch (time!) to scroll to top in safari etc 

At the moment I’m missing the ability to go to full screen in lots of apps and 3rd party browsers, can’t wait for them to be updated because in some apps I’m missing my Plus sized screen!
    No, the gesture for reachability is just pulling down on the home indicator, not a double flick. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    AITOO or should the home bar be located at the notch. There would be no visual indicator for it. This would eliminate the “pinky rest” entirely, which is one of the most annoying, yet required, approaches to one-handed holding a phablet. It would also no longer require “Reachability” since your holding hand would remain positioned at the top / middle of your phone rather than at the bottom.

Simply swipe down from the notch to go home. Or swipe from the ears for the other functionality.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dedgecko said:
    AITOO or should the home bar be located at the notch. There would be no visual indicator for it. This would eliminate the “pinky rest” entirely, which is one of the most annoying, yet required, approaches to one-handed holding a phablet. It would also no longer require “Reachability” since your holding hand would remain positioned at the top / middle of your phone rather than at the bottom.

Simply swipe down from the notch to go home. Or swipe from the ears for the other functionality.

Thoughts?
    Keyboard at the top as well?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    During dictation you now can select, replace and delete using 3D Touch on the voice control bar. The cursor control has a touch pad feel to it.  Check out video here: https://youtu.be/1RJiAFVItpU
  • Reply 13 of 15
    It's so lame that the app switcher requires you to hold until the red X's to close appear. You should be able to swipe all the way off the top of the screen to close an app, just like in prior versions of iOS. As of now, swiping all the way up just makes the app jump back into its icon on the home screen, but doesn't close the app. Not really different than just swiping up the home bar to return to the home screen. This is silly; I never want this functionality.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    It's so lame that the app switcher requires you to hold until the red X's to close appear. You should be able to swipe all the way off the top of the screen to close an app, just like in prior versions of iOS. As of now, swiping all the way up just makes the app jump back into its icon on the home screen, but doesn't close the app. Not really different than just swiping up the home bar to return to the home screen. This is silly; I never want this functionality.
    I think so too, but the theories above about wanting people to not quit apps might have something to do with it. Right now, it's so simple, I regularly do it just as part of my workflow. Whenever I'm in the app switcher, I tend to kill off anything I'm not going to be needing. Even *if* there were no performance advantages of doing so, there is a cleanness of only having what is needed to switch between.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dedgecko said:

Thoughts?
    Keyboard at the top as well?
    That would be quite jarring, but I could see it working. When typing with two hands, both pinkies are supporting the bottom of the phone, elbows further out. Shifting the keyboard up would require a revised grip applied between the top surfaces of each palm...elbows pulled in a little bit.   But one handed holding and typing on a keyboard located at the top keeps the center of gravity in your hand, versus at a fulcrum location at the top edge of your hand between index finger and thumb.  Options are awesome, but rarely exist in iOS without credible support documentation that validate the need for the option.