Allow Member Ratings? Vote Here

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Should members be allowed to rate other members? These ratings can be individually toggled on or off in the member's profile: if someone does not want their rating shown, they can turn it off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>Should members be allowed to rate other members? These ratings can be individually toggled on or off in the member's profile: if someone does not want their rating shown, they can turn it off.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah if it's optional then I vote yay!

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 39
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    eer

Depends on the voting choices. Would some of them be really negative like "troll"?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    It's a star-based system. You can choose between giving a user a rating from 0-5 stars. It's displayed over on the left column.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No ratings.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I never liked those...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Nah.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yes, IF both of the following:

1) It could only be shown in a user's profile.

2) Individual users are given the option to turn it off.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    krazyfoolkrazyfool Posts: 129member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

Yeah if it's optional then I vote yay!

J :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to agree with Jamie on this if its optional
  • Reply 9 of 39
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    No freaking no As a certified sociologist (or at least I´ll be in a couple of month) with a specialty in social differentiation I want to avoid anything creating an over- and underclass here.

User ratings are communication reducing mediums. Instead of forming your own opinion on someone based on your interest you get a very reduced "opinion" served by the "community". But that doesn´t tell why that person got the ratings he did. I could give Roger_Rightwinged zero stars because I disagree with everything he says or I could give him four stars because he is a good debater. The stars wouldn´t tell why he got it.

This is only a fraction of the reasons why we shouldn´t have stars here so please please PLEASE don´t do it.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I'd have to say no. Too easy to start a caste system.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>No freaking no </strong><hr></blockquote>

i second this opinion. (and the reasoning behind it)

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am for Orange and lemon prize, given by the collective of mods and admins each day. Just one orange and one lemon prize granted each day.

i think it will be more fun , and not too serious. Votes will bring to much anger in these boards.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    This sounds like a dodgy idea to The Blue Meanie, who is worried about the rating he'd get from certain members, (especially those who don't like his habit of writing posts in the third person for no apparent reason). So The Blue Meanie votes "No"
  • Reply 14 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Blue Meanie:

<strong>This sounds like a dodgy idea to The Blue Meanie, who is worried about the rating he'd get from certain members, (especially those who don't like his habit of writing posts in the third person for no apparent reason). So The Blue Meanie votes "No"</strong><hr></blockquote>

i like it i give you an orange prize.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Nope.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    pushermanpusherman Posts: 410member
    well why the hell not?

face it, there's already a class system here, everyone knows that the people with the highest post counts are the most highly regarded. of course, i and many others know that's horseshit, no offense but eman is a perfect example...he has a boatload of posts, most of which are less than one full sentence. its not exactly like reading panofsky.

at least with member ratings, the divisions are based on what people think of you and what you say, instead of how much bandwidth you've wasted.

and yes, i do realize that writing this post is an invitation to get a permanent 0 rating, by some of the post count elite around here :cool:

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: poor taylor ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 39
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    No, absolutely not. For exactly the reasons stated by Anders.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No. Some of UBB options can get to be too cluttery IMO. I have not been to ars technica for over 6 months now because of topic rating. It's just one more thing to do that isnt realy needed.

Posting, and just hitting add reply is awesome. Less is more in this area if you ask me.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I don't like the ratings. It makes the UBB too cluttered.

I vote no
  • Reply 20 of 39
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I wouldn't mind it. It could give people an idea of how respectable a person that responded to their post is.