Warby Parker app uses TrueDepth camera in iPhone X to recommend frames that will best fit ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Warby Parker's app update to accommodate the iPhone X uses the TrueDepth camera to go beyond just a virtual try-on of glasses, and recommends styles that suit the user's face shape.

The new system supplements the old recommendation engine, which suggests glasses based on what pairs the user has selected. But, the company stops short of using ARKit on the iPhone X to overlay the glasses on the user's face.

Warby Parker using the iPhone X TrueDepth camera is super super smart: pic.twitter.com/LgHpO8hfUx

-- Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern)

Warby Parker was founded in 2010, to sell glasses and eyewear primarily online. The "home try-on" program allows customers to choose five frames which they can try for free for five days. Frames generally cost $100 and up.

The updated Warby Parker app requires iOS 10.0 or later, is a 100MB download, and is free. Obviously, the face measurement feature requires an iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    That’s really creative. I can’t wait to see what developers create!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    And so it begins: tactile sensing.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    This is the kind of app that the TrueDepth technology enables. I could use my iPhone X to figure what frame I best like it help me decide whether to change my current frame. 
  • Reply 4 of 19
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Just like what I said on other thread, FaceID using TrueDepth camera system is just the beginning.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    It would have been cool if you were able to see what frames look like on you from a face scan and AR. 
    edited November 2017 entropysanton zuykovr00fus1
  • Reply 6 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It would have been cool if you were able to see what frames look like on you from a face scan and AR. 
    "Would have been"?

It's maybe just possible they're not finished with this.
    r00fus1
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Yes it would be far more interesting if it showed you how the frames look on your face.  It doesn't even tell you why the frames were chosen for your face.  Surely this is possible.  
    Without it, the app is a loser.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    flaneur said:
    "Would have been"?

That could be a possibility. I'm definitely looking forward to see what developers create with the new technology on the iPhone X. 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I saw the animoji thing as a prelude to things like this. I think showing things like showing the glasses is not only doable but will be done. There were apps that showed what someone would look like with different hair styles, so I don't doubt that refinements and more features are forthcoming.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Like I posted in a previous thread - wait until you can try on clothes virtually, where your iPhone can scan your body, determine its exact measurements, and allow you to order clothes that fit perfectly. Or shoes.

AR will eventually kill retail, IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    You can select up to 5 frames for them to mail (Free) you as a test to see which ones you truly like. You keep the frames for I think its up to 7-10 days and then you use the pre-paid mailing label to ship them back. If you don't like any of them, you can select 5 more frames and repeat the process. I think this just tries to find the best fit for you. Not all frames fit every face which is what I believe the app tries to do. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    flaneur said:
    "Would have been"?

Exactly.

• Reply 13 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    This app doesn't seem very accurate.  20 years of wearing glasses, and my ideal frame shape is square, but it says round.  
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Interesting! Shopping for glasses is hard because I have to nearly plaster my face to the mirror just to be able to see without current glasses. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    flaneur said:
    "Would have been"?

Fake news!

this is, and I’m telling the truth here, this is the truth no one else will tell you — this is the last update to Warby Parker’s app, ever. Why won’t  fake news media turn those face sensors on Crooked Hilary to show her lies?

if they don’t offer virtual glasses try-on in this version, you can bet LensCrafters will build the app. And they’ll make Warby Parker pay for it. 

/s
    Ofer
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macxpress said:
    You can select up to 5 frames for them to mail (Free) you as a test to see which ones you truly like. You keep the frames for I think its up to 7-10 days and then you use the pre-paid mailing label to ship them back. If you don't like any of them, you can select 5 more frames and repeat the process. I think this just tries to find the best fit for you. Not all frames fit every face which is what I believe the app tries to do. 
    I think I'm going to give this company a try. I've never heard of them until today. Being able to try 5 frames for free is pretty cool. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    macxpress said:
    I think I'm going to give this company a try. I've never heard of them until today. Being able to try 5 frames for free is pretty cool. 
    They are pretty great. Not sure the lenses are as scratch-resistant as the top-end retail lenses. 

I feel the cost-benefit is awesome. 

That said, I still find the local retailer has the highest quality, most fashionable product. I still buy some glasses at retail. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    I have Warby Parker glasses and I really like them. You can't beat the price, even if you need high index lenses like I do. You will need a valid eye prescription from your eye doctor still. They will not fill an order without one. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    guestoguesto Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Is anyone able to interpret what level of analysis is going into the recommendation? For example, are they actually comparing your actual facial measurements to their stock frames and recommending based on the actual "fit" (would it pinch your nose, slide down your face, squeeze your head etc), or are they just making an aesthetic recommendation based on what they think will look good? Given that the face mesh doesn't cover the ears or measure any dimensions or asymmetry, I suspect it must be the latter?