Apple said to ditch home button for Face ID with thinner bezeled 2018 iPad Pros, but don't...

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2017
Apple is said to be working on a "high-end" iPad for release as early as 2018, incorporating facial recognition like in the iPhone X to replace the home button and Touch ID. But unlike the iPhone X, users shouldn't expect the next iPad to have a bright, expensive edge-to-edge OLED screen.

A report by Bloomberg on Wednesday afternoon notes that "sources familiar with the matter" claim the new iPad will have smaller bezels, with a screen size similar to the current 10.5-inch iPad.

Also expected in the model is the eradication of the home button, and with it, Touch ID. Instead, Apple's Face ID will be implemented for unlocking the device, authenticating the user for other tasks like payments, and for Animoji.

The cited sources say that the updated form factor will debut "later next year" and "A little more than a year" after the last iPad Pro update at the 2017 WWDC.

The report comes after numerous claims, including from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, which also said Apple would embrace Face ID in next year's iPad Pro models.

Beyond the iPad, Kuo has also predicted that all high-end iPhones in 2018 will sport Face ID login, replacing Touch ID. This year, Face ID remains exclusive to the iPhone X, and the technology is said to be the source of production bottlenecks ahead of its official launch last week.

Ditching the home button allowed the iPhone X to boast an edge-to-edge display with the thinnest bezels ever seen on an iPhone. But that was helped, in part, by the inclusion of a costly OLED screen.

If Apple's next iPads stick with an LCD display, it's unlikely that they will feature bezels as small as the iPhone X. But removing the home button would allow Apple considerably reduce the footprint -- and weight -- of its hot-selling tablet lineup.

The 2017 iPad Pro lineup debuted at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. In addition to a slightly larger 10.5-inch model, up from the previous size of 9.7 inches, Apple also updated both it and the 12.9-inch model with a 120Hz display dubbed ProMotion.

By not going OLED or true edge-to-edge, Apple may be able to avoid criticism of its controversial "notch" for Face ID featured on the iPhone X. Instead, a camera array and no home button could allow for much thinner bezels while maintaining a squared-off display.

As for why OLED probably won't make its way to the iPad just yet, the primary reason is cost. Reports have said the display is the most expensive component of the handset, and only Samsung is in a position to produce high-enough-quality OLED panels that meet Apple's stringent standards.

For the 2018 iPhone lineup, Apple is rumored to be investing in alternative suppliers in hopes of diversifying its OLED supply chain. The company also uses OLED screens for the Apple Watch and MacBook Pro Touch Bar -- devices that sell in far fewer quantities than the iPhone and iPad.
edred

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I really look forward to iPad Pro with FaceID. It would be lighter as well assuming that iPad Pro goes edge to edge screen as well, eliminating the extra weight associated with bezels. With FaceID, I just pick up the iPad Pro, be recognized, and then I start writing right away.
    watto_cobrastanhope
  • Reply 2 of 53
    That'll be cool, I don't see a need for the iPad to have OLED until the technology can meet LCDs. The iPhone LCD always bothered me when checking my phone in the dark and having to squint even for a black background.
    doozydozenracerhomie
  • Reply 2 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I suspect this will happen across the line, except for low priced goods, such as the new 9.7 iPad.

i also suspect that Apple will have just two flagship phones again in 2018. The X may, or may not have been named for the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, but its presence in the line was surely as a result of uncertain OLED supplies and the new Face ID module. That shouldn’t be an issue next year.
    edited November 2017 calidoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 53
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    As far as I'm concerned I would be very happy with the non-OLED display.  Just got the iPhone X and don't particularly like the OLED.  Even with the reduced off-angle color variation of the Apple designed display I find it very annoying as the phone tilts during use.  Distracting.  I would rather go back to the LED/LCD as far as display looks go.
    mike54
  • Reply 5 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Awesome.  I'm still on an iPad that lacks Touch ID but i'd rather just skip it and move right to FaceID 
    doozydozenracerhomiecornchipGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 53
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The OLED is literally the only reason to get a new iPad Pro.

My iPad Pro display looks dated and the display quality is lacking. It hurts my eyes to look at a non OLED display now. Peoples eyes get strained trying to look at a dark dingy display from LCD screen tech. LCD displays are battery hogs and they make the iPad Pro heavier than it needs to be.
    edited November 2017 doozydozenbluefire1
  • Reply 7 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    physguy said:
    As far as I'm concerned I would be very happy with the non-OLED display.  Just got the iPhone X and don't particularly like the OLED.  Even with the reduced off-angle color variation of the Apple designed display I find it very annoying as the phone tilts during use.  Distracting.  I would rather go back to the LED/LCD as far as display looks go.
    Yep, OLED is maybe an interim solution in phones, with microLED somewhere on the horizon, and it's way too problematic and expensive for larger screens that are shared, like iPads. Also, they and probably Foxconn/Sharp are still ramping uo to exploit their IGZO investments for larger displays.
    edited November 2017 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    adonissmu said:
    Er, no. There a number of reasons, assuming that you actually use it for Pro purposes. If you just use if as a large browser, then don’t buy a new one.
    pscooter63tallest skilStrangeDaysracerhomiecapt. obviouscornchiplollivernetmagewatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 53
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    The would be cool.  Maybe time to upgrade if that is the case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 53
    I will wait for microled, hehehe 3-5 yrs
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    edited November 2017 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    adonissmu said:

My iPad Pro display looks dated and the display quality is lacking. It hurts my eyes to look at a non OLED display now. Peoples eyes get strained trying to look at a dark dingy display from LCD screen tech. LCD displays are battery hogs and they make the iPad Pro heavier than it needs to be.
    No, you wouldn't. I saw X and the blue shift is annoying especially if you spend time reading a lot on it. 

It's likely Apple will eventually end up using microLED, bypassing OLED for good, after the next generation of iPads. 
    racerhomienetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Its good to hear everyone is love'n FaceID (I have not used myself); at first glance(pun) I was leery about automatic unlock and easy access to home screen etc, but it seems everyone is good with that, with no major issues-- cool, guess Tim is correct, the future of smartphones(personal devices).

racerhomiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 53
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    From what I've read, FaceID requires positioning within a fairly limited range and from fairly narrow angles relative to the user's face. While this is a reasonable compromise for a small, handheld device like an iPhone, I would think this might be an inconvenience when using a larger device like an iPad. Today you can reach across a table and unlock an iPad with a touch of the home button. Forcing users to pick it up every time and hold it inches form their face sounds like a step back in usability.

Also, the blue shift internet in OLED screens would be even more noticeable on a tablet.
    edited November 2017 netmagesuddenly newton
  • Reply 15 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    adonissmu said:

Um, what are you talking about? I have the 10.5" iPad Pro and it still looks absolutely incredible. "Hurts your eyes"? So suddenly every non-OLED display is complete garbage? The iPad Pro display is still one of the best displays of any device, period. 

tmaymacseekermike1fotoformatmacxpressStrangeDaysracerhomieboogerman2000capt. obviousdewme
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Apple would have to implement multiple user login for FaceID, IMO. iPads are commonly used as registers for small business. FaceID would work so well for not only quick login but for clocking in/out, tracking sales and workflow, etc. Also, iPads are even more commonly shared by family members. Historically, Apple has yet to give us multiple user login for iPad, although Apple retail employees do acknowledge the 5 finger register TouchID workaround. Official support may be needed to address the Apple-imposed single user limitation for FaceID. Can Apple’s Neural Engine handing processing multiple users?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 53
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    netrox said:
    adonissmu said:

No, you wouldn't. I saw X and the blue shift is annoying especially if you spend time reading a lot on it. 

It's likely Apple will eventually end up using microLED, bypassing OLED for good, after the next generation of iPads. 
    How would the color shift affect reading? You aren't looking at the screen sideways to read. 
    macplusplusStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 53
    fallenjt said:
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    Why?  Apple could easily enhance FaceID (Gen 2) to recognize. multiple faces.  Much easier to do on larger form factor and next gen A11X.

I can envision, say, a family of 5 sharing an iPad.

However, I believe the major attraction for FaceID on an iPad is enhanced security for enterprise use.

Who knows, maybe the next iteration of FaceID will be accurate to 1 in 5 million or 1 in 10 million.
    racerhomiemattinozpscooter63netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    would they be using a flexible LCD for the iPad? Isn't that the tech, in the OLED, that got the screen under the notch and to the edges on the iPhone X?
    edited November 2017 suddenly newton
  • Reply 20 of 53
    netrox said:
    adonissmu said:

How would the color shift affect reading? You aren't looking at the screen sideways to read. 
    That happens a lot, especially when you have it laying on the desk and you're sitting up and reading from that angle. I use it primarily for reading (ebooks) and writing. You'd see the shift. 
    racerhomienetmage