Apple said to ditch home button for Face ID with thinner bezeled 2018 iPad Pros, but don't...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    fallenjt said:
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    Really? I thought the opposite. Face ID lends itself perfectly to multiple users.
    Soli
  • Reply 22 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netrox said:
    netrox said:
    adonissmu said:
    The OLED is literally the only reason to get a new iPad Pro.

My iPad Pro display looks dated and the display quality is lacking. It hurts my eyes to look at a non OLED display now. Peoples eyes get strained trying to look at a dark dingy display from LCD screen tech. LCD displays are battery hogs and they make the iPad Pro heavier than it needs to be.
    No, you wouldn't. I saw X and the blue shift is annoying especially if you spend time reading a lot on it. 

It's likely Apple will eventually end up using microLED, bypassing OLED for good, after the next generation of iPads. 
    How would the color shift affect reading? You aren't looking at the screen sideways to read. 
    That happens a lot, especially when you have it laying on the desk and you're sitting up and reading from that angle. I use it primarily for reading (ebooks) and writing. You'd see the shift. 
    I’m using my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017 right now. When I tilt it up, it gets darker, and slightly cyan. When I tilt it down, it gets darker, and slightly red. When I swivel it right or left, it gets darker and slightly red. If I both tilt and swivel it, part of the screen is cyan, and part is red, while it gets darker.

none of this is terribly dramatic, but it’s there. It’s also very noticeable, and occasionally annoying. Particularly when reading, as now.

all of this is dependent on how sensitive people are to it, and how well they can ignore it. I’m particularly sensitive because of my career in color, but I can also ignore it, because I understand that all screens have various problems. But some people seem to be outraged at any imperfection to the point where they force themselves into a position of extremism. ‘I can’t use this screen, they cry!” Jeeze, it’s not a big deal. Check out the new Pixel 2 XL. Now, that screen really turns blue.
    edited November 2017 StrangeDayspscooter63netmagewatto_cobramatrix077
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Hope Apple in 2018 does an update to the Mini!  Let have at least the ppi of the iphone plus of 401! Sick of seeing these bigger size iPad get new models but the Mini 4 still has not be updated since 2015!  It has an A8 and 2GB of RAM!  I pay the same price as the iPhone X if Apple would do an Mini update with cutting edge component this time, instead of camera, SOC that is already two years old put into a new Mini model! Sick of buy a Mini that is already two years old starting out!
    edited November 2017 GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Please. No notch.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Face ID on an iPad brings with it problems that nobody here seems to be talking about. Unlike iPhones which are usually very personal devices, iPads are frequently shared. They are used in institutions where they are information-gathering devices, and are used by multiple family members in the home.

Face ID does not permit more than one person's face to be retained in the secure enclave for unlocking the device. Apple should not implement Face ID on the iPad until this limitation is overcome. To do so would be for them to ignore how the iPad is used in a large percentage of cases.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Hope Apple in 2018 does an update to the Mini!  Let have at least the ppi of the iphone plus of 401! Sick of seeing these bigger size iPad get new models but the Mini 4 still has not be updated since 2015!  It has an A8 and 2GB of RAM!  
    It looks increasingly to be a dying product. People are buying the larger phones, and likely don’t want to have another product, or spend the additional money, since the large phones already cost $100 more.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    ktappe said:
    Face ID on an iPad brings with it problems that nobody here seems to be talking about. Unlike iPhones which are usually very personal devices, iPads are frequently shared. They are used in institutions where they are information-gathering devices, and are used by multiple family members in the home.

Face ID does not permit more than one person's face to be retained in the secure enclave for unlocking the device. Apple should not implement Face ID on the iPad until this limitation is overcome. To do so would be for them to ignore how the iPad is used in a large percentage of cases.
    A shared iPad doesn’t need password either. Just disable Face ID and password.
    StrangeDayspscooter63netmage
  • Reply 28 of 53
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    flaneur said:
    physguy said:
    As far as I'm concerned I would be very happy with the non-OLED display.  Just got the iPhone X and don't particularly like the OLED.  Even with the reduced off-angle color variation of the Apple designed display I find it very annoying as the phone tilts during use.  Distracting.  I would rather go back to the LED/LCD as far as display looks go.
    Yep, OLED is maybe an interim solution in phones, with microLED somewhere on the horizon, and it's way too problematic and expensive for larger screens that are shared, like iPads. Also, they and probably Foxconn/Sharp are still ramping uo to exploit their IGZO investments for larger displays.
    Honestly I'm a bit surprised that Apple went with OLED at all, but at the same time I don't see them using OLED in any other product because OLED's have image burn-in and are easily damaged. You have to re-design the entire OS to not have any persistent UI widgets.

As it is, I still use my Retina iPad for things, and it's quite slow now. That having a lot to do with the age of the NAND flash I presume since it was just a 16GB model. I was considering buying a new one this year, but then was forced to spend that money on a PC Laptop instead because I couldn't do half the things I needed for work on the iPad any more where I could still do it last year.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Thank you Apple. Customers don't need OLED iPad X for $2000. That said, what we need for 2018 iPhone line is face id based LCD iPhone 8S / Plus at similar price point as current. Either I upgrade to edge to edge iPhone X or similar face id 2018 iPhone 8S or 8S Plus. Face ID cat is out of bag.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    iPhone 5S to iPhone X user here.

Yes, I kept my 5S for 4 years and got the iPhone X on the first day due to 3:05am preorder.

I held the screens side by side and adjusted brightness to max and min and evaluated brightness, color and color shift upon angled viewing.

This may put me in the minority but: 
    1. iPHone X is better, but just barely so,
    2. the colors are richer in the OLED display, but just slightly so.
    3. the OLED is brighter, but barely,
    4. the blue tint was so incredibly faint on the OLED panel that I just didn't care, I could tell it was a bluer tint, but it was just that a faint tint and I could still read the screen, watch a movie, in fact, depending on what is on the screen it is hard to see the blue tint, if it is a white screen you can tell but in a movie it is very hard to decern a blue tint.
    5. overall, it was barely better than my 5S, I know every manufacturer is in a spec race but if i Could have the X without the OLED and Save $150 I would do it. 

I have to imagine that if I feel that way about my 5S then the difference with the 6, 6S, 7, and 8 must be even closer in comparison. Bring on the Face ID. 

(As an aside to the topic of this post/thread, I love the iPhone X, I wish I didn't wait this long to update my phone. I'm glad that I have 'the best' screen, but I don't have the same visual quality demands for my iPad)
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    iPhone 5S to iPhone X user here.

Yes, I kept my 5S for 4 years and got the iPhone X on the first day due to 3:05am preorder.

I held the screens side by side and adjusted brightness to max and min and evaluated brightness, color and color shift upon angled viewing.

This may put me in the minority but: 
    1. iPHone X is better, but just barely so,
    2. the colors are richer in the OLED display, but just slightly so.
    3. the OLED is brighter, but barely,
    4. the blue tint was so incredibly faint on the OLED panel that I just didn't care, I could tell it was a bluer tint, but it was just that a faint tint and I could still read the screen, watch a movie, in fact, depending on what is on the screen it is hard to see the blue tint, if it is a white screen you can tell but in a movie it is very hard to decern a blue tint.
    5. overall, it was barely better than my 5S, I know every manufacturer is in a spec race but if i Could have the X without the OLED and Save $150 I would do it. 

I have to imagine that if I feel that way about my 5S then the difference with the 6, 6S, 7, and 8 must be even closer in comparison. Bring on the Face ID. 

(As an aside to the topic of this post/thread, I love the iPhone X, I wish I didn't wait this long to update my phone. I'm glad that I have 'the best' screen, but I don't have the same visual quality demands for my iPad)
    They will differ mainly on movies, photos, artwork, paintings and other content you create. User interface elements are carefully fine tuned to be consistent across models.
    edited November 2017 propod
  • Reply 32 of 53
    I would assume an A11X processor is in the works too. That would make the next iPad Pro significantly more powerful and allow further development of multitasking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Got new 12.9 iPad Pro and love it. Hope Face ID and bezel reduction will be applied to new 12.9 model. Smaller one just doesn’t cut for me anymore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    From what I've read, FaceID requires positioning within a fairly limited range and from fairly narrow angles relative to the user's face. While this is a reasonable compromise for a small, handheld device like an iPhone, I would think this might be an inconvenience when using a larger device like an iPad. Today you can reach across a table and unlock an iPad with a touch of the home button. Forcing users to pick it up every time and hold it inches form their face sounds like a step back in usability.
    And before touch id you had to pick it up and input a passcode. so what? Having to look at the device is kind of a requirement to using it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53

Apple would have to implement multiple user login for FaceID, IMO. iPads are commonly used as registers for small business. FaceID would work so well for not only quick login but for clocking in/out, tracking sales and workflow, etc. Also, iPads are even more commonly shared by family members. Historically, Apple has yet to give us multiple user login for iPad, although Apple retail employees do acknowledge the 5 finger register TouchID workaround. Official support may be needed to address the Apple-imposed single user limitation for FaceID. Can Apple’s Neural Engine handing processing multiple users?
    How do ipad POS registers work today? Passcodes and PINs. Why wouldn’t this continue? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    ktappe said:

Are you actually claiming institutions register multiple fingerprints for dozens of people? That’s impossible. No, they either use a PINm passcode, or keep it unlocked. They can still do that on a Face ID ipad. I fail to understand your failure to understand that. 
    pscooter63[Deleted User]netmage
  • Reply 37 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Apple would have to implement multiple user login for FaceID, IMO. iPads are commonly used as registers for small business. FaceID would work so well for not only quick login but for clocking in/out, tracking sales and workflow, etc. Also, iPads are even more commonly shared by family members. Historically, Apple has yet to give us multiple user login for iPad, although Apple retail employees do acknowledge the 5 finger register TouchID workaround. Official support may be needed to address the Apple-imposed single user limitation for FaceID. Can Apple’s Neural Engine handing processing multiple users?
    Since iPad is a personal device, I don't see Apple creating multiple profile capability for it. If multiple people need to access the same device, use pass code. However, it's still not multiple profiles but single profile used by multiple people.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    fallenjt said:
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    Why?  Apple could easily enhance FaceID (Gen 2) to recognize. multiple faces.  Much easier to do on larger form factor and next gen A11X.

I can envision, say, a family of 5 sharing an iPad.

However, I believe the major attraction for FaceID on an iPad is enhanced security for enterprise use.

Who knows, maybe the next iteration of FaceID will be accurate to 1 in 5 million or 1 in 10 million.
    You are missing the point. I'm not saying Multiple Face IDs, but multiple profiles. With Touch ID, multiple fingerprints are allowed, but they access the same single profile. Apple never intended to create multiple profiles on iOS devices.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    melgross said:
    netrox said:
    netrox said:
    adonissmu said:

My iPad Pro display looks dated and the display quality is lacking. It hurts my eyes to look at a non OLED display now. Peoples eyes get strained trying to look at a dark dingy display from LCD screen tech. LCD displays are battery hogs and they make the iPad Pro heavier than it needs to be.
    No, you wouldn't. I saw X and the blue shift is annoying especially if you spend time reading a lot on it. 

It's likely Apple will eventually end up using microLED, bypassing OLED for good, after the next generation of iPads. 
    How would the color shift affect reading? You aren't looking at the screen sideways to read. 
    That happens a lot, especially when you have it laying on the desk and you're sitting up and reading from that angle. I use it primarily for reading (ebooks) and writing. You'd see the shift. 
    I’m using my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017 right now. When I tilt it up, it gets darker, and slightly cyan. When I tilt it down, it gets darker, and slightly red. When I swivel it right or left, it gets darker and slightly red. If I both tilt and swivel it, part of the screen is cyan, and part is red, while it gets darker.

none of this is terribly dramatic, but it’s there. It’s also very noticeable, and occasionally annoying. Particularly when reading, as now.

all of this is dependent on how sensitive people are to it, and how well they can ignore it. I’m particularly sensitive because of my career in color, but I can also ignore it, because I understand that all screens have various problems. But some people seem to be outraged at any imperfection to the point where they force themselves into a position of extremism. ‘I can’t use this screen, they cry!” Jeeze, it’s not a big deal. Check out the new Pixel 2 XL. Now, that screen really turns blue.
    Yeah, I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and it tilts to yellow side but that's much ok with me. But the blue tint is too weird. I dunno why it bothers me more than yellow. I mean, when I see yellow tint, I think of aged paper... when I see blue tint, it just looks unnatural. Aged paper never goes blue. lol 
  • Reply 40 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    adonissmu said:

Everybody says like that but when Apple puts OLED in Ipad and the price goes up(like iPhone X) than the same people complains the price is too high so they can't buy. Damn if you do, Damn if you don't. Apple listen to me. Price always matters. Some Apple's products are very good to justify higher price. Not all the time.
    edited November 2017