Apple sells out of launch day iPhone X supply in matter of minutes

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Has anyone gotten the promised email to claim the phone with a reservation number that “has been reserved for you?”
    I don't think Apple sends anything out until your shipment starts to get processed, but I think you can go onto their website to see the order you've made.
    Nope. 
    Did you check, because I'm pretty sure I could login into my account on apple.com to see both my Apple Watch and Apple TV pre-orders from last month? This article from MR seems to back up my memory.

Just tried what you suggested. Nothing there but a completed order for a phone I bought a couple of months ago. Remember, they gave me a *Reservation Number,” not an Order Number which is what the account page wants to see. Since the Number came via a screen on my iPhone while using the Apple Store app, once I left the app that screen with the evidence of a Number was gone for good. I’m just going to stand in line at AT&T in Thursday. This pre order cycle was an utter failure for me. 
    Soli
  • Reply 122 of 129
    sells out? hahah, that same old marketing 101 strategy;) good one 
  • Reply 123 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    That isn’t a screw up, that’s how it works when you’re competing against millions of people. These servers are load balanced and not everyone can get on them all. Mine came online at 5 after, I ordered within seconds and got a Nov 3 delivery. It just didn’t work out for you, but that isn’t a screw up. 
    For some people it's much easier to accept a conspiracy theory, than to grasp a law of supply and demand.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    That isn’t a screw up, that’s how it works when you’re competing against millions of people. These servers are load balanced and not everyone can get on them all. Mine came online at 5 after, I ordered within seconds and got a Nov 3 delivery. It just didn’t work out for you, but that isn’t a screw up. 
    For some people it's much easier to accept a conspiracy theory, than to grasp a law of supply and demand.
    Not just easier, but comforting.

"It makes us uncomfortable when events are random, so we tend to look for patterns where they don't exist." — Robert A. Burton. On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even when You're Not. St. Martin's Press, 2008.

"We're also subject to what's called 'intentionality bias.' That means when something negative happens to us, even when it's an accident, we tend to assume that someone did it intentionally." — David Shariatmadari. "The Truth Is Rushing Out There: Why Conspiracy Theories Spread Faster than Ever." The Guardian, 26 Dec 2015.

"These biases are a natural part of human cognition, which means conspiratorial thinking isn't just for a few crazies in tinfoil hats. We're all subject to it." — Rob Brotherton. "The Logic Behind Conspiracy Theories." The Los Angeles Times, 19 Jan 2016.

Source of citations plus a whole lot more: http://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-conspiracy-theories.html

edited October 2017
  • Reply 125 of 129
    Got mine 256 silver on the 3rd at my Verizon store no waiting. Was able to get the store to hide one for me! This phone is awesome after the first day you won’t even miss the home button.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    I ordered mine on the Verizon website at 12:00:45 it arrived on Friday Nov 3rd. Its totally awesome been using it ever since. Best phone I ever owned
  • Reply 127 of 129
    It’s a real shame Apple only made a couple hundred of these phones.  /s
    Not really - I got mine on Nov 3rd via FedEx
  • Reply 128 of 129

Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    And I know someone in the US, not far from Cupertino, that didn't have the store showing a Buy option until around 12:10am (UCT/GMT-7:00) so what's this "fair chance" you're taking about? Are you suggesting that Apple is trying to stick it to the Dutch?
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    If you understood how the internet works you'd know that "opening up all websites globally at the same second" from the user's perspective is impossible.
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    Soli said:
    aaargh! said:
    And I know someone in the US, not far from Cupertino, that didn't have the store showing a Buy option until around 12:10am (UCT/GMT-7:00) so what's this "fair chance" you're taking about? Are you suggesting that Apple is trying to stick it to the Dutch?
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    If you understood how the internet works you'd know that "opening up all websites globally at the same second" from the user's perspective is impossible.
    I had verizon's and apple's sites open , apple's had no respone,  Verizon's worked perfectly and got my order in vry quickly and delivered on Nov 3rd by Fed Ex
  • Reply 129 of 129

I tried the Apple Store app right at 3:01am EST just because of the suggestion on AI yesterday of having the order in favorites. When it wasn't working I bailed out to the Verizon store which was ready to go.  Had a 64GB space grey ordered in about 3 minutes and so far it still says Nov. 3. Crossing my fingers that they don't push it back at all.
    I tried the Apple Store app right at 3:01am EST just because of the suggestion on AI yesterday of having the order in favorites. When it wasn't working I bailed out to the Verizon store which was ready to go.  Had a 64GB space grey ordered in about 3 minutes and so far it still says Nov. 3. Crossing my fingers that they don't push it back at all.
    yup Verizon worked got my phone last friday , like yours on nov 3rd, ist an amazing device, so far I made $1600 on apple stock since 2 weeks ago +$14  at $176.16