Video: Apple's iPhone X speakers vs. Samsung's Galaxy Note 8

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone X's stereo speakers give it a clear advantage in built-in audio over Samsung's latest flagship smartphone.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    But.....!

The S8 supports Samsung Sound and Android Sound.  Both are obviously better because a tech blogger said so, and there was an Apples to oranges comparison by a paid testing company....

Bring on the Android fan boys, can’t wait to be told how much better their’s is on some fringe data point.
    ”Samsung Sound is louder underwater!”

hahahah, became a troll for a moment there...

SoliredgeminipaStrangeDayswatto_cobraflashfan207
  • Reply 2 of 18
    iPhone X definitely sounds louder and actually has stereo separation.  But that Sammy doesn't sound bad at all and is very acceptable.  
  • Reply 3 of 18
    RedPandaSlothRedPandaSloth Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

The S8 supports Samsung Sound and Android Sound.  Both are obviously better because a tech blogger said so, and there was an Apples to oranges comparison by a paid testing company....

Bring on the Android fan boys, can’t wait to be told how much better their’s is on some fringe data point.

I don't think many people, even Android fanboys, would claim the Note 8's speakers sound better. There's a lot to praise the Note 8 and Samsung's flagships in general for, but they've rarely if ever stood out for sound. This comparison makes sense in that Samsung is Apple's main competitor, but a fairer test would maybe be the iPhone X against the Pixel 2, an Xperia or an HTC, since they actually do generally have good sound. Apple may well still win, but it would be a lot closer. And from what I've heard the Razer Phone probably has the iPhone X beat for sound, not that anyone's going to buy that.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

I don't think many people, even Android fanboys, would claim the Note 8's speakers sound better. There's a lot to praise the Note 8 and Samsung's flagships in general for, but they've rarely if ever stood out for sound. This comparison makes sense in that Samsung is Apple's main competitor, but a fairer test would maybe be the iPhone X against the Pixel 2, an Xperia or an HTC, since they actually do generally have good sound. Apple may well still win, but it would be a lot closer. And from what I've heard the Razer Phone probably has the iPhone X beat for sound, not that anyone's going to buy that.
    Well said!!! Many apple fans think that Android world is ALL about Samsung or Google's phones. They don't understand the fact that Android world is about choice and getting the best one that suits your own needs (in terms of battery life, camera quality, audio quality, type of display, software features, price etc).
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Because I'm going to buy a several hundred dollar phone based on the speaker that I never use...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Because I'm going to buy a several hundred dollar phone based on the speaker that I never use...

No one asked if you would. However, there might be some people who do use the speakers and are interested to know how well they sound.
    redgeminipaking editor the grateneo-techStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

They don't understand the fact that Android world is about choice and getting the best one that suits your own needs (in terms of battery life, camera quality, audio quality, type of display, software features, price etc).
    Golly! So that's what Android Vorld is about!

I'll start ignoring the only two reasons I've ever heard people say they bought Android: "It was cheaper," and "I hate Apple."
    StrangeDaysBluntwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Thank you for this test! great to see the iPhone X shine here!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why even perform these tests? The population segment that frequents websites like AI couldn’t form an objective opinion if their lives depended on it. Yes, I’m a cynic.
    singularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

Well said!!! Many apple fans think that Android world is ALL about Samsung or Google's phones. They don't understand the fact that Android world is about choice and getting the best one that suits your own needs (in terms of battery life, camera quality, audio quality, type of display, software features, price etc).
    Samsung is the knockoff market leader, the others knockoffs are statistically blips. Even the google phones haven’t sold in any relevant numbers. Thus, the knockoffs people talk about are Samsungs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member

LOL? Apple fans don't give a shit about Android and people buy Android phones because they are cheap. Customers buy a certain Android phone because of the audio quality? Who are you trying to fool here?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

And again, the question is: why do Android fans care so much about what Apple fans think? Why is the opinion of Apple users so important that Android fans spend so much time on Apple sites, foaming at the keyboard?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    While I have been buying Apple phones I am very thankful of Samsung and other smart phone makers. As a consumer the more competitors the better. Each company is driven to make better and cheaper stuff. 
    Everybody pick what phone works best for you. 🍻 to the competition lasting a long time. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    That's good to know because from the video side by side aesthetics is on Samsung side. I considered to switch from iPhone after years just to that model Samsung. I think I will shove into it few hundered GB of memory to that slot it has. Can I do this with iPhone?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    That's good to know because from the video side by side aesthetics is on Samsung side. I considered to switch from iPhone after years just to that model Samsung. I think I will shove into it few hundered GB of memory to that slot it has. Can I do this with iPhone?

Sure, feel free to shove it.
    Bluntwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    LordeHawk said:
    But.....!

Well, I for one think that Android world is about choice by sacrificing one feature for another. You won't get a total package like iPhone, you either have one phone with the best display, another phone with the best sound, and another phone with the best camera, etc. etc.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    muthuk_vanalingam said: Well said!!! Many apple fans think that Android world is ALL about Samsung or Google's phones. They don't understand the fact that Android world is about choice
    Indeed, after choosing to give up your privacy to Google, it's all about choosing which version of Android you want to be locked into.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The new phone is louder than before and the screen is brighter than before too. This is very important, despite the fact that no one runs their phones at full brightness or full volume.