Apple said to ditch home button for Face ID with thinner bezeled 2018 iPad Pros, but don't...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Apple would have to implement multiple user login for FaceID, IMO. iPads are commonly used as registers for small business. FaceID would work so well for not only quick login but for clocking in/out, tracking sales and workflow, etc. Also, iPads are even more commonly shared by family members. Historically, Apple has yet to give us multiple user login for iPad, although Apple retail employees do acknowledge the 5 finger register TouchID workaround. Official support may be needed to address the Apple-imposed single user limitation for FaceID. Can Apple’s Neural Engine handing processing multiple users?
    Wouldn't that depend on how much data the engine can hold with fast access more than the Neural Engine processing?

I mean I'd think that they'd have some feature map on each fingerprint profile to pick most likely candidate then run the test on that.
    Same could be applied to faces as well. Take the nose and chin lines say and rank the profiles then run the full secure test on that one.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Eliminating the home button on the iPad doesn't really have as profound effect as it does on the iPhone because the iPad has so much more screen real estate. In fact... not to sound too whackadoodle but it might be interesting for Apple to keep the bottom "chin" on the iPad and install a Touch Bar that supports haptic feedback in that space. Until Apple can build an iPad display that supports haptic feedback across the entire screen a Touch Bar may be a reasonable alternative. It also gives the iPad something that it's lacking as it moves to subsume more of the tasks and use cases that are currently performed on desktops and notebooks. Having a Touch Bar  on the vertical edge when the iPad is used in landscape orientation is certainly different than how it works on MacBook Pro, but because the iPad is a handheld device this may be okay because the thumb on the hand supporting the iPad can be put to good use. Just a thought.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    fallenjt said:
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    Atm maybe, next year it could change, when they upgrade the neural engine. But kids under 13 will always be a no 
  • Reply 44 of 53
    fallenjt said:
    fallenjt said:
    Whoever wished Apple to create multiple user profiles for iPad can kiss it good bye now. Face ID is for sole user profile.
    Why?  Apple could easily enhance FaceID (Gen 2) to recognize. multiple faces.  Much easier to do on larger form factor and next gen A11X.

I can envision, say, a family of 5 sharing an iPad.

However, I believe the major attraction for FaceID on an iPad is enhanced security for enterprise use.

Who knows, maybe the next iteration of FaceID will be accurate to 1 in 5 million or 1 in 10 million.
    You are missing the point. I'm not saying Multiple Face IDs, but multiple profiles. With Touch ID, multiple fingerprints are allowed, but they access the same single profile. Apple never intended to create multiple profiles on iOS devices.
    I longed for multiple profiles on iPad for a while, in the end it was easier to just have an iPad each. The downside is, all of our iPads ended up with the same kids games so if one was out of battery they could use another. Then it got messy having different appleIDs for games like mario-run having to buy it repeatedly, not being able to run it on two devices on same login etc. etc. meh 1st world problems.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    netrox said:
    I really look forward to iPad Pro with FaceID. It would be lighter as well assuming that iPad Pro goes edge to edge screen as well, eliminating the extra weight associated with bezels. With FaceID, I just pick up the iPad Pro, be recognized, and then I start writing right away.
    I would be concerned that smaller bezels and lighter weight can only be achieved by reducing battery size / life, and FaceID plus OLED uses more power on the iPhone X.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Hope Apple in 2018 does an update to the Mini!  Let have at least the ppi of the iphone plus of 401! Sick of seeing these bigger size iPad get new models but the Mini 4 still has not be updated since 2015!  It has an A8 and 2GB of RAM!  I pay the same price as the iPhone X if Apple would do an Mini update with cutting edge component this time, instead of camera, SOC that is already two years old put into a new Mini model! Sick of buy a Mini that is already two years old starting out!
    I suspect that the Mini is in the same ballpark as the iPhone SE:
    Partly it's there to service those who want a smaller form factor and partly to service those who want a lower cost device.

For kids, both are ideal:  The SE fits into a small pocket easier and the Mini is easier for small hands to hold.  And, at a lower cost, you don't have to worry about it as much.

For Apple, both products are a win because they get to use older tooling that has been paid for by the initial release while still expanding their market at a profit.  (That is particularly true for the SE that has been popular in India.)

The Mini and SE is a win-win:  A Win for Apple and a win for the users that need that type of smaller, lower cost product.   I would hope that Apple would not listen to the Apple Fanatics who call for only the fanciest, priciest models to be sold.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    ktappe said:
    Face ID on an iPad brings with it problems that nobody here seems to be talking about. Unlike iPhones which are usually very personal devices, iPads are frequently shared. They are used in institutions where they are information-gathering devices, and are used by multiple family members in the home.

Face ID does not permit more than one person's face to be retained in the secure enclave for unlocking the device. Apple should not implement Face ID on the iPad until this limitation is overcome. To do so would be for them to ignore how the iPad is used in a large percentage of cases.
    The pin code is still available for those situations...  Institutions that share an iPad among many people don't likely rely on touch-id either.  The only difference is:  Touch-Id allows up to 5 fingerprints while FaceId only allows a single face.  But both are backed up by a pin code.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    78Bandit said:
    I would assume an A11X processor is in the works too. That would make the next iPad Pro significantly more powerful and allow further development of multitasking.
    ... and enhance its "laptop killer" abilities...   The A11 is already as powerful as an I5...  This is getting interesting...
  • Reply 49 of 53
    adm1 said:
    fallenjt said:
    fallenjt said:
    Why?  Apple could easily enhance FaceID (Gen 2) to recognize. multiple faces.  Much easier to do on larger form factor and next gen A11X.

I can envision, say, a family of 5 sharing an iPad.

However, I believe the major attraction for FaceID on an iPad is enhanced security for enterprise use.

Who knows, maybe the next iteration of FaceID will be accurate to 1 in 5 million or 1 in 10 million.
    You are missing the point. I'm not saying Multiple Face IDs, but multiple profiles. With Touch ID, multiple fingerprints are allowed, but they access the same single profile. Apple never intended to create multiple profiles on iOS devices.
    I longed for multiple profiles on iPad for a while, in the end it was easier to just have an iPad each. The downside is, all of our iPads ended up with the same kids games so if one was out of battery they could use another. Then it got messy having different appleIDs for games like mario-run having to buy it repeatedly, not being able to run it on two devices on same login etc. etc. meh 1st world problems.
    Family Sharing would solve most of those problems...  A few apps though don't recognize Family Sharing (I think MarioRun is one of them).  But for most apps and Apple Music it is great.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    netmage said:
    netrox said:
    I really look forward to iPad Pro with FaceID. It would be lighter as well assuming that iPad Pro goes edge to edge screen as well, eliminating the extra weight associated with bezels. With FaceID, I just pick up the iPad Pro, be recognized, and then I start writing right away.
    OLED uses more power on the iPhone X.
    huh?
    tycho_macuser
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Can I set up multiple faces for ID? While phone is more personal mobile device, some forget that iPads are not neccessarily the same in that aspect. Apple showed that while misdeliviering messages ignoring phone number and using Apple ID. That was cause for many to leave Apple phones and get Android as well. The lesson needs to be learned rathern than plow into problems arrogantly.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    netmage said:
    netrox said:
    I would be concerned that smaller bezels and lighter weight can only be achieved by reducing battery size / life, and FaceID plus OLED uses more power on the iPhone X.
    Lol, is that how they squeeze out that extra 2 hours of battery life... by using MORE power??

Why don’t you go read up on OLED so you don’t embarrass yourself further...
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Would still like to see pressure sensitivity improved on the iPad line, especially for art and music apps.